Need Help or Suggestions on Short Video's

• Admin

Hello All,

Recently I've been trying to attach some short nuggethunting video clips to a new website page I built. I can't seem to get a "happy-medium" on what I'm trying to do. I can run them from Youtube or another upload site, but trying to get away from a visitor having to see them through Youtube or such. I figured out how to load them on my site, but I'm having trouble with formats. Some of the videos that I have taken are only 1-2 minutes in lenght, but are up to 25MB in size. This video's take forever to download from the page for the public to view.

Any suggestions on what format I should use. When I'm using Microsoft Widow Movie Maker, these are some of my choices. However, some of the smaller, quicker downloadable files are really choppy .... <_<

WMM File (very large, orignal size of video, but much longer download time)

Local Playback 2.1 Mbps

Local Playback 1.5 Mbps

Local Playback 2.1 Mbps NTSC

Local Payback 1.5 Mbps NTSC

Video for LAN (1.0 Mbps)

Video for Broadband 512 Kbps

Video for Broadband 340 Kbps

Video for Broadband 150 Kpbs

Any suggestions?

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

I use VirtualDub (free) to compress my videos using the Divx codec (also free) and you end up with an .avi file that is greatly diminished in size and looks and plays really good. These will play with Windows Media player and most any other third party players. It takes a little time to get set up with all the necessary tools, but when you get it set up, it compresses and saves relatively quickly.

If you're interested, email me and I'll give you a list of what you need, where to find it, and how to get it set up.

Later,

Carl

Yup, I agree with Carl, even though I'm on a mac.

Your videos need to be compressed to play on the web, something that YouTube does automatically.

Maybe read up alittle bit on compression methods for the kind of video you're shooting.

You probably know your video camera footage winds up on tape in a form that is 'way too large

for just putting on the net, so a compression program is a must.

I know QuickTime has an "export for web" as an export choice, and it's a fair starting point.

Perhaps you can find something like that for Windows MediaPlayer.

I would take Carl up on his offer to guide you to the right software programs.

Once you get that taken care of and mess with it alittle bit, the workflow is pretty easy.

I will also bet that Joe Kaufman would be a good source of advice...

Let us know...

Flak