24K Interference

• Admin

Hey Way2cool,

The interference is pretty bad on the claim pushes during the push dates. Everyone is hoping to find a nugget, maybe even their first, so it's pretty overloaded with Minelab's and other metal detectors. The first day of the pushes (normally always Saturday) are limited to 11-inch and smaller searchcoils. This rule was put into place by myself and board to help elliminate some interference, but give everyone the same chance. I don't think it would be fair for a guy that only could afford a VLF with a 10-inch elliptical vs. a guy with a Minelab with a 18-inch or bigger searchcoil. This was just to give everyone the same type of chance the first day. For the most part if no big nuggets are found the first day, the Minelab users do better 2-3 days after the push when they can work "low and slow" without all the PI cross talk.

The second day of the pushes it's open game for any type of metal detector or searchcoil size.

Take care,

Rob Allison

When the pushes 1st open people realize they need to spread out and I haven't had much of a problem. You can find a spot to work any machine. I found a 2 oz nugget with a Gold Bug 2 on the opening day of a push. LOTS of nuggets are generally found on the opening day. After a couple hours the crowd starts to thin out and you can pretty much go where you want. The next day is no problem.

Make sure you bring your headphones the 1st day. I think it's a rule but common sense will tell you that nobody else wants to hear your speakers.

Way2cool, just to be clear, you can't stake a claim on the pushes. They are open to all members. The pushes are about an acre each and I believe there are 7 of them. The claims include over 600 acres so you have plenty of space to stake a claim elsewhere if you so desire.

As for mono coils, it will depend on your machine and where you are detecting. I mostly use a GP Extreme and DD coils work much better for me in that highly mineralized soil.

Hi Way2cool

The last time I was at Rich Hill I also had a GP3500 and what I used on the pushes was a Platypus DD plus a Joey DD.Now when everybody was gone I hunted with the Wallaby mono and never had any kind of noise trouble with it at all.When on a push with other detectors the bigger the coil the more interference you going to get.You will find this is one time bigger is not better.

The best to you!

Chuck Anders

Morning ALL: I read with interest Dakota Slim's post about using a DD coil on his GPX at the 24K Pushes. Guess I need to add I am not a member of the 24K because of the annual cost of membership. :unsure: Although I have several DD coils for my 3000 I've never used a DD down Rich Hill way I would very much like to read postings from those who have used BOTH a Mono and a DD to detect the Rich Hill area and what differences/advantages + or - there are to each type of coil.

Rob what experience have you had at the Hill using both types of coils?

Don

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Like Dakota stated, you can't stake any type of claim on the pushes at anytime. You can stake small 30x30 claims anywhere else on the claims as long as noboby else has that section claimed already. To stake a small claim, you must have a notice and also sign it every week or two weeks at the latests. If you don't re-sign the claim, they the 30x30 claim is abondoned and anyone can move to that spot.

The small 30x30 claims are great for guys drywashing or dredging. Beyond that, metal detectorist don't need to claim anything since they are always moving around and searching.

As for coils, I've used them both on the claims over the years. There are a few spots where you can get some mineralized ground noise with the GP series (Extreme, 3000 or 3500). In these spots I had to go with the Coiltek DD Pro's to elliminate some of the minerization in the ground and hot Granite Boulders. The SD2100 and 2200 don't really hear much of the mineralization, so they can use Mono's without much trouble. I haven't had any trouble using a Mono coil on the new GPx-4000 or 4500.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Hi Everyone!

The 24K is one of the better investments in regards to club memberships that I have made. The membership gets me on to some prime Rich Hill acreage that still has lots of potential. The pushes are a great aspect of belonging to the club. Areas that aren't pushed still have lots of potential.

I enjoy meeting up with the friends that I have made over the years and to me they are worth more the any gold I will ever find.

I can't make the opening week. With my new job, I won't have a window where I have time off until Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. But the nice thing about my new job is that I will have more time off to go out west and really spend some time nugget hunting. I will have summers off! Yea! One of the nice percs of teaching!

So everyone have a great time opening week! I will be thinking about all of you and wishing I was there!

Have a great day!

And remember, a bad day nugget hunting is still better than a good day doing anything else! :)

Regards,

Karl