using a GB2 at Stanton

hi all. I'm new to this forum and not sure if this post will make to everyone intended or not :glare: I'm planning a trip to Stanton 8-16 May and only have a Gold Bug 2 for a detector and this is what I plan to use the entire time I'm there. Does anyone hunt for gold using the GB2 exclusively at Stanton? If so, I would love to pick your brain on what you do to make things less frustrating. I understand the ground in the Rich Hill area and surrounding claims is highly mineralize which causes problems with the GB. I don't want to ground balance every couple of feet if this is the case. At this time, getting a PI machine like the Minelab is not an option as I retired last year and income is now fixed. To me the costs outway the enjoyment I would like to have on the trip, but if using a GB would be more trouble that it's worth, I won't make the trip. Any and all comments would be appreciated - Pat

Dude, patience is the key...when you get to Stanton, reduce the sensitivity to about 60%, find an area with no trash and Gb to a tiny increase as your coil gets close to the ground...once you have the unit balanced it is no big deal to adjust the detector on the go...and if you don't want to keep balancing the detector throw it back in the closet and get a gold pan or drywasher 'cuse that is real life in the gold fields...

Fred

Thanks Fred. I always said when I was a kid and in my 30's that if I wanted patience I would have been a doctor. Since I retired last year I have mellowed out considerably. I know there is gold at Stanton, and I will take my time as you said and do what has to be done. Again, thanks.

Dude, patience is the key...when you get to Stanton, reduce the sensitivity to about 60%, find an area with no trash and Gb to a tiny increase as your coil gets close to the ground...once you have the unit balanced it is no big deal to adjust the detector on the go...and if you don't want to keep balancing the detector throw it back in the closet and get a gold pan or drywasher 'cuse that is real life in the gold fields...

Fred

Now, that is the right attitude!!! Here is something to try if you don't already know...pick a trashy area and rake an area of 10x10...then you use a yard rake with several magnets to can clear the surface trash and surface iron...now using your standard coil detect and dig every signal until the area is clear. Then go from a right angle and check again. If you are in a formerly productive area this will get you gold when all else has failed. A similar but easier method is to rake down drywash piles...but make sure you also move the header piles that have been hit by every minelab in the country...often that is virgin ground to a patient vlf-er.

Rake and detect for a while, wander about for a while go back and rake for a while...keeps things from getting boring...

Steve Herschbach of Moore Creek Fame has a method that is extreme for a GB2 which might be good to try at Rich Hill....I don't remember what it is but I saw the proof that he can squeeze the blood right out of any detector...

Fred

H20. Fred is right on. The lower you run the gain (sensitivity) the less you will have to ground balance. The GB2 will remain extremely sensitive even at 40% and be much more user friendly. The ground mineralization varies greatly in different spots. The Antelope Creek drainage is loaded with basalt hotrocks that even bother the PIs, East of there the basalt decreases and there is more of the ironstone hotrocks that are a little easier to deal with.---Bob

Fred,

When you say 'rake an area'.... what type of rake are you refering to and how are the magnets affixed to the rake?

Now, that is the right attitude!!! Here is something to try if you don't already know...pick a trashy area and rake an area of 10x10...then you use a yard rake with several magnets to can clear the surface trash and surface iron...now using your standard coil detect and dig every signal until the area is clear. Then go from a right angle and check again. If you are in a formerly productive area this will get you gold when all else has failed. A similar but easier method is to rake down drywash piles...but make sure you also move the header piles that have been hit by every minelab in the country...often that is virgin ground to a patient vlf-er.

Rake and detect for a while, wander about for a while go back and rake for a while...keeps things from getting boring...

Steve Herschbach of Moore Creek Fame has a method that is extreme for a GB2 which might be good to try at Rich Hill....I don't remember what it is but I saw the proof that he can squeeze the blood right out of any detector...

Fred

• Admin

Hey H2OProspector,

Raking an area with a "Garden Rake" will allow you to get the larger rocks and cobbles from the area. This will allow you to get a couple more inches of detecting depth. Doing this also rakes away all the ironstones and basalts for the most part. If you're in a good spot, you can continue to dig, rake and detect down and find gold.

Digging, Raking and Detecting sometimes can be rewarding, but keep in mind it don't work well everywhere. It all depends on where the gold is sitting, which can be only on the surface, only on bedrock or all throughout the layers of gravel.

Sometimes the best situation is to set up a small drywasher in an area and process the gravel. When you're done, detect the bedrock or the bottom of your hole you dug along with the oversized tailings that didn't go through the drywasher.

Just some thoughts,

Rob Allison

I use a garden rake rigged with magnets and sometimes a nail-rake which has built-in magnets, but those are not very strong...as Rob mentioned this is not an absolute way to find a nugget but a "last resort" thing or when you are in the mood for a bit of extra work...that is why I rake a small area.

Just depends on how bad you want that first nugget...effort=reward....usually...sometimes...if you are lucky...

Fred

I remember one year I was at Decision Corner camp down from where you were Fred and you and the other fellow were leaving.You told me you had a spot raked off and I could hunt it if I wish.I think I was headed for the 24K claims then but when I came back another Texan had his big camping trailer sitting on top of it.He didn't move the whole time I was there.

Chuck Anders

Fred,

The following site www.brandsplace.com/0402-53422.html has a magnetic rake that is supposed to do the job. I was told it wasn't a flimsy item that would break if you looked at it the wrong way, and properly used, it should do okay. I'll put up a post after my trip and it's use :) . Cost is $18.95 and shipping is dependent on your ZIP, but shouldn't be more than $10 or $11.00.

Pat

I use a garden rake rigged with magnets and sometimes a nail-rake which has built-in magnets, but those are not very strong...as Rob mentioned this is not an absolute way to find a nugget but a "last resort" thing or when you are in the mood for a bit of extra work...that is why I rake a small area.

Just depends on how bad you want that first nugget...effort=reward....usually...sometimes...if you are lucky...

Fred

Thanks to those who replied and gave me several suggestions and to those who viewed my post. I purchased an SD2200V2 this afternoon and it should be delivered next week. I should have the best of both detecting worlds, a VLF and a PI machine. I'm sure the wife will shoot me with all the prospecting gear I have amassed in the past few days to go along with all the other gear I have. All I need now is a pontoon kit for my Proline Highbanker/Dredge combo and I'm set. Is there ever running water for highbanker operations at Stanton, or is that only during the annual outings the LDMA has for GPAA members?

Pat

hi all. I'm new to this forum and not sure if this post will make to everyone intended or not :glare: I'm planning a trip to Stanton 8-16 May and only have a Gold Bug 2 for a detector and this is what I plan to use the entire time I'm there. Does anyone hunt for gold using the GB2 exclusively at Stanton? If so, I would love to pick your brain on what you do to make things less frustrating. I understand the ground in the Rich Hill area and surrounding claims is highly mineralize which causes problems with the GB. I don't want to ground balance every couple of feet if this is the case. At this time, getting a PI machine like the Minelab is not an option as I retired last year and income is now fixed. To me the costs outway the enjoyment I would like to have on the trip, but if using a GB would be more trouble that it's worth, I won't make the trip. Any and all comments would be appreciated - Pat