Many die in Arson Brush Fires in Victoria Australia

The full story at:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5001021,00.html

February 09, 2009 06:30am

VICTORIA remains under a shroud of smoke and grief today with thousands homeless and at least 108 people dead after the worst bushfires in the nation's history.

Entire towns were wiped out in the weekend's fires, which the Prime Minister described as hell's fury unleashed.

In-depth bushfire coverage: All reports, multimedia and more

TV man dies: Famed news anchorman among casualties

How can this be? Close-knit community numbed by the horrors

At least 800 homes have been destroyed, more than 330,000ha burnt out and some fires may take weeks to contain.

The communities in Dederang, Taggerty and Glenburn in the state's north were still under threat last night, almost 36 hours after the first fires were fuelled by record heat and winds on Saturday.

Here are some words from our mates in the Outback.

From Frieda and Jonathan Porter:

Thankfully we are many miles away from the terrible fires in Victoria and are kind of sandwiched between major flooding up north and the blazes down south. If only some of the wet stuff would drop on the hot stuff….a land of extremes is Australia . It’ll be snowing in Melbourne next. It’s our worst ever natural disaster and with some of those fires being deliberately lit it is just unthinkable - the heartache and destruction their actions have caused. Whole families incinerated in their cars as they tried to flee. Entire towns wiped out. Forests, animals, livelihoods and dreams….all gone. May the lousy good-for-nothings burn in hell I say.

If you feel so inclined Doc…http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services_emergencyservices_victorian-bushfires-appeal-2009.htm

Jonathan & Frieda Berry-Porter

Prospectors

www.aurumaustralis.com

From Scottie aka Jackhammer:

Thank u doc....yes the joints a mess...134 dead...750 homes gone....7000 homeless....4500 firemen fighting 25 major fires...biggest as we speak has a 80 k front it aint over yet.... smoke haze for the last 5 days....47% in the waterbag 3 days ago. the fires arent close....but i fear that will change next hot dry nth wind...about a week...the bush is tinder dry and will just take a maniac with a match and the place will burn...where safe in town we hope..its the bush that will catch fire and drop embers in front of a fire.. we will be ok unlest its a nth west wind....then well cop embers...it will happen only amatter of when.\Ill pass on your message...thank u Scott

I am in Australia and live about 500 miles from the fires we have smoke from the fires in the air. Today police announced they have arrested an arsenist who lit one fire in which 21 people burnt to death. To me this guy is vermin and no doubt a murderer. I dont know what punishment would suit this crime but I know what I would like to see happen to him. seeya Neilo