Painted Searchcoils? Good or Bad?

• Admin

Hello All,

This subject has came up many times in the past and I also seen it posted on another forum. Back in the day (early 90's) I painted all my White Minelab searchcoils a Greenish color and never had any problem. Minelab made camo looking SD's with a Green control box and shaft, but the coils were bright White! Well, many guys including myself painted them the same Camo Green color and we never had a problem with performance.

I've seen many different colored painted coils, even some ones that were painted Black (I guess for the night-time hunters).

Never heard or seen any issues doing so. Curious if anyone else has painted or heard of any issues for the guys that might be considering painting their coils?

Take care,

Rob Allison

Two possible issues spring to mind, one is the type of solvent in the paint and if that will have an adverse effect on the coils plastics and secondly make sure the paint does not have anything conductive in it like graphite as this could also impact on the coils performance, other than that I don't see any problem in it except maybe for eventual re-sale values.

JP

Here is a shot of my 14" Gold Bug coil, I camoed it years ago for stealth purposes never had a problem painting them. I camo most of my coils if Im planning on keeping them. actually I camoed the entire detector.The white stem is a wire protector for brushy areas. a mod I did awhile back just have not got around to camoing the stem yet. :D AzNuggetBob

th_Picture057.jpg

Here is a shot of my 14" Gold Bug coil, I camoed it years ago for stealth purposes never had a problem painting them. I camo most of my coils if Im planning on keeping them. actually I camoed the entire detector.The white stem is a wire protector for brushy areas. a mod I did awhile back just have not got around to camoing the stem yet. :D AzNuggetBob

th_Picture057.jpg

Hi Bob. Camoed it for stealth purposes? Do you sneak up on the nuggets. :lol:

Cheers

Curley

Curley All joking aside, there are several reasons I stealth. There are a lot of people that follow well known hunters when they see them. Im sure the same thing goes on in Australia too. I think you know what I mean. ;) AzNuggetBob

Flak I've shared locations of many patches with friends and I still do. I share a lot of patch hunting secrets and gold hunting technic's on this forum, but "patch hackers" irritate me. people have been hiding gold mines since mining began but if you really want to blend in, buy a white ford pickup truck. ;):lol: Take care AzNuggetBob

JP said watch out for Solvents that can hurt the plastic and Graphite that can give off a false signal.

Also I was told that a person can scan coil tape with a metal detector and if does not give off a signal then it is OK to use. The same could be done on a spot of paint.

Many talk about using this product below on coin hunting VLF coils, especially on the bottom to prevent wear. It can be either put directly on the coil itself or on the coil cover-skid plate:

Dulpli-Color Truck Bed Coating

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckbed.html

I would not buy the spray on but instead would buy the liquid in a can TRQ250 Quart(32 oz)about $21.99 put it on with a roller or brush only. IMO I would not spray it on as I do not like breathing in any paint particles in the air that can be very harmful.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/334567/D...uck_Bed_Coating

Coatings, Undercoatings, and Bedliners--Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coatings

Acrylic/vinyl formulation applies easily to truck beds and other areas where a nonskid protective coating is desired. Abrasion-resistant, sprayable, and quick drying.

Hazardous Material

California Proposition 65 Warning: This product contains a product known to the State of California to cause cancer. Warning: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Truck Bed Coating, Acrylic/Vinyl, Black, Quart, Net Weight 32 oz, Coverage 15 to 20 Sq Ft, Dry Time 5 Minutes Between Coats/5 to 7 Day Full Cure, VOC 495 g/l, Application Method Spray or Roll, Protects Bare Metal From Rust or Scratches, Especially Truck Beds, Abrasion Resistant, Durable, Non Skid Surface http://www.jegs.com/i/Duplicolor/318/TRQ250/10002/-1

OR someone has also recommended this one to put on the bottom of coils to prevent wear from rubbing on rocks, etc.: http://www.pcepoxy.com/our-products/paste-epoxies/pc-7.php

The PCEpoxy states in the fine print that it will not bond to Polyethylene, and some other plastics. have not tryed it but I think Id pass on that one, also I would wonder about weight and would the price justify a new coil cover? just a thought. AzNuggetBob