Genuine Nuggetslayer Pick

I cut it down to 2ft for my own preference and added the grip. All it needs now for perfection is a magnet. Thanks again Jeff. It was great meeting you and Rick.

pick002.jpg

pick001.jpg

He does a fine job! It's gonna take you a long time to wear that out.

I'm guessing the blade is about 5" wide X 12" long?

That's a beautiful pick.

Now for some gratuitous self-promotion:

This is the bull dog pick, which is the short handled version of the Ground Squirrel which is the same pick put it has a 34 inch handle. We can custom cut the handle to any length you need. You can order them from Rob.

Rather than take disc harrow blades and cut them, which can take the temper out of the blade because of the heat generated during cutting... Our heads are cut and forged first, and then tempered. The heads are also thicker than a disc harrow blade. They have a welded retaining ring to hold the included supermagnet in place.

Doc

Leroy, if that pick handle is made out of metal, use some type of cushioning material to protect your hand from the shock that is transferred from the head impact, to your hand.

As someone who has a 3 inch scar across my palm from hand surgery, don't assume for one minute that your hands are not fragile. My hand problems were a direct result of metal detecting, and not taking precautionary measures.

My hand has never been the same. I can't make a fist and I can't close my hand completely.

Take care!

Doc

Doc we don't cut them with a torch. We use a big band saw and cut her up like a pizza so they keep there temper. If you use the 26" disc they are really thick, anymore would be to much. I like your picks too. What I really like are the ones with the fiberglass handle cuts the weight down and easy on the hands.

Them little rare earth magnets on them store bought picks aren't like the 2"x1" N50 rare earth magnets we use. They'll pull trash out of the ground without busting a hole! NuggetSlayer, I like the all Metal Handle...haven't broke on yet! When the dig'n get's tough, which is everyday, you have to have equipment that will take what you can dish out. Or you may have to go home early to the local hardware store for another handle! Until our next hunt.

LuckyLundy

I agree with you completely Doc. And it sounds like you know your steel. I realize that this post is not going to shine favorably on metal handled picks but I think it needs to be discussed. Now if your a weekend warrior nugget hunter this post probably should not concern you but if your a serious hunter read on. This subject came up a few months ago here on the forum. Your story about your hand sounds very familiar Doc, Ive been to my doctors several times in the last year and a half with severe pain in my left hand, elbow and shoulder and sometimes even numbness?. When I first started hunting nuggets about thirty years ago my first pick was a Estwing steel handled pick. Young and strong and even with a steel handle I kept bending and breaking it and would just re-weld it back together. It didnt take long before I decided to build picks myself. Im basically right handed but early on I found it annoying to switch hands ever time I would dig on a target so I trained myself to dig with my left hand and swing with my right. Of course I started out with a stronger steel handled pick for more strength but noticed that at the end of the day my hand was feeling the pain from the shock pounding out holes all day long and when it really dawned on me is when I would smack that occasional rock dead on! Then I tried fiberglass! Without rubber on the handle the shock was almost as bad as steel and at that time there weren't pre-made fiberglass handles that were very strong anyway. There was not much to choose from back then. After years of abusing my arm, hand and elbow I finally settled on Wood, It absorbs more shock than any of the other handle materials available. SOoooo, If your going to use Steel, or Fiberglass, put some kind of cushion on it. Take care AzNuggetBob

Doc Im going to pm you an idea tomorrow, may even be a better handle. Got the idea from one of my doctors.

Your pick choice is like which coil to use. If I was digging in some serious hardpack material every single day of the week, I don't think I'd use a metal handle pick. Northern California soil is much different than Arizona or Nevada's soil conditions. This time of the year it's a breeze to dig a target out of a hole. Finding nuggets is a numbers game...the more holes (targets) you dig the more nuggets you'll add to your poke. The more holes you dig, the more rocks you pry out of your way, the weaker your wood handle will get. I still have a wood handled pick store bought pick, with replaced wood handle after 2 months of use and it's 4" blade. My other picks blades width are 6" & 8" inches wide. If I hunt with a round coil I like the 8" and use the 6" with ellipticals. NuggetSlayer and I, have several hunting partners...not all of them have metal handled picks...nor ones that he fashioned...we don't care what picks they use, coils or metal detectors! Until our next hunt.

LuckyLundy

That's a beautiful pick.

post-16-1259816507_thumb.jpg

Doc

............................ Do I "have" to buy them in packs of three or can I purchase just one? :)

dumb-blonde-joke.jpg

:)

In all seriousness though, this is a great thread as I'm about to make a pick purchase and want to make sure I get the right one as some times our ground can be frozen and I need to take into account cold temperatures on the steel pick head (brittleness if cold then hitting a rock etc).

Jennifer

Hey Nuggetslayer, The shape of the pick head is great man...real nice...

Doc, I can not download current price lists (bad links) nor can I find the bull dog picks & pricing on your website .... what gives ????

Does the webmaster need a talking to? Or is that you :lol:;)

Adam,

I was just on eBay and found an auction for Doc's pick, and at a "Christmas Speical" price get'em while they are HOT, ooops sorry don't want to mess with the temper of the pick, get one before they are gone!!! here is a link...

Hey Doc,

How long are you going to have them at this "Christmas Special" price, after just paying my monthly bills I may have to break my piggy bank to get one before the special is gone???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Docs-Metal-Detector-Pr...=item439bd7565d

Edit, I just notice that Way2cool and I are websurfing together! :lol:

Skip

Lucky Lundy You may want to come out to Arizona try hunting the Prescott area (Bradshaw's in general) Its almost identical to northern Cali. and its got a lot of gold. Although I see your doing very well in California.

Sean C Im going to change my huntin/digging style, I figure Ive got another 30 years left in my right arm if I use the right tools. :spank:

Jen, I pack a medium size 22" pick around with me and keep a larger one in the truck for digging deep craters. (darn Minelabs) :D

If your planning on building your own pick or replacing the handle with wood here is a tip.

Choose your stick carefully. Make sure the grain of the wood runs from one end of the stick to the other end all the way down the center. not starting on one side and running through the center and out the other side. this stick will break easily. When mounting it in the head orient the grain in line with the heal and toe of the pick head. The wood is much stronger in this direction.

Take care out there AzNuggetBob

It's me, I'm worthless. I transferred over to a different internet service provider, and I don't think everything transferred properly. Fortunately I have it all backed up on my computer. So I will have to look into it.

Thanks!

Doc

Hey Nuggetslayer, The shape of the pick head is great man...real nice...

Doc, I can not download current price lists (bad links) nor can I find the bull dog picks & pricing on your website .... what gives ????

Does the webmaster need a talking to? Or is that you :lol:;)

YOU have to buy 6 at a time! :rolleyes:

Doc

............................ Do I "have" to buy them in packs of three or can I purchase just one? :)

dumb-blonde-joke.jpg

NO, I have to buy three???

valley_girl.gif

:)

In all seriousness though, this is a great thread as I'm about to make a pick purchase and want to make sure I get the right one as some times our ground can be frozen and I need to take into account cold temperatures on the steel pick head (brittleness if cold then hitting a rock etc).

Jennifer

It covers the handle too, as long as you aren't whacking rocks with the handle. If it breaks in normal use, which includes using it to try to pry something loose, and it breaks, I will replace the handle. You pay the shipping.

I am not easy on my picks, for some reason, I always think it is easier to try and pry a boulder out of the ground than to dig around it and lift it out. Just isn't so, you just wear yourself out prying and still have to dig it out anyway. But if you break the handle doing this, no worries, I'll replace it.

Doc

Doc,

Another question, the "Lifetime Warranty", does that cover just the pick head, or is the handle covered as well?

Skip

AZNugget,

Yep, I grew up in Mesa and have prospected for gold in all of it's districts. I owe Arizona, much of my success as a prospector and I always look forward to a day in the field when I visit my Family/Friends in Mesa. Doc's "Lifetime Warranty" on the wood handles picks makes his business shine above others. I still love my wife's homemade dinner rolls and cherry pies...I'm just that type of guy! Until our next hunt.

LuckyLundy