Hip Stick

Hello Everyone,

I have been thinking for some time about buying one of these to help me swing my 4000 for a longer period. I am trying to reduce some fatigue so I can swing my detector longer. Anybody out there use a Hip Stick? I have a Swingy Thingy that works OK, but I am not that happy with it as I do not like the bobbing up and down that the bungie cord causes. Are these any better? More stable? All opinions are welcome. I am just trying to figure our if it would do me any better. I would like to know the pros and cons. It is hard to tell from the video if the stick or bungie gets in your way when you are using it. Thanks to all.

Darryl,

Nuggetslayer is right about the swing arm. Using the swingarm at the end of the day, you will not feel the fatigue, sore wrist, elbow or shoulder, as you would otherwise. It is probably one of the best additions to my detecting warbag that I have made over time.

Your ability to swing the detector more precisely and less effort will become apparent once you try the swingarm for at least a day. This is because you are using both arms, shoulders to effect your movements, hence less energy, resulting the feeling better at the end of your detecting day.

That being said, the hipstick is not a gimmick, but a cleverly thought out and designed tool, that actually redistributes

the weight that normally would be placed on your shoulder, to your hips, where the hipstick has its pivot point. As you should know, your bungee cord is attached to your detecting harness, just at or slightly below your shoulder. The end effect of this is more than likely, a very tired back at the end of a long day, up to 12 hours, more or less, when the weather and energy permits.

There are many detectorists across the world, that have found great benefit in this tool, you can find it on youtube, in use, and see for yourself just how it works.

I gave an extra one to a friend, and following using it for a short while, he said he would have never believed how much such a product would allow him to detect for so much longer, hence more nuggets in the poke at the end of the day!

Hope this helps!

~LARGO~

Hi Darryl

The Hip Stick is a a product that takes the work out of a fun hobby, now with that said,

adding a swing arm for those large coils can only make the whole experience better.

Regards

Herb

As a frequent and happy user of the hip stick, Lucky and Nuggetslayer convinced me into getting a swing arm! I will certainly say they are BOTH great. In the taller grass and on hillsides the swing arm is great. On relativle flat open areas, the Hip Stick would be my choice. They are both in my bag and will stay there!

I've had one for a couple of years now and feel naked detecting without it. I forgot it at home once and really struggled with putting in 8 hours without it, and was really sore the next day.

I used it so much that I actually wore out the little ball on the end and had to replace it.

I have not tried the swing arm yet but sounds cool.

DigDeep

After having my Hip-stick for a half a year I was kicking myself in the butt for not having it sooner! It REALLY makes a difference. I wont detect without it now. Takes a load off your arm and shoulder, less fatigue equals more swing time. Guido

AS others have said, hunting flat and open ground, I've found the HipStick to be an awesome tool...It extends the ground you can cover and saves a lot of muscle and joint pain...It is not very useful in hunting brush choke gullies and steep sidehills and, under those extreme conditions, actually becomes a major hindrance...However, just as I use certain coils for certain situations, the HipStick is a great addition to your gold hunting arsenal for the conditions in which it works...You should have one...Cheers, Unc

Here's a little trick. I too prefer to carry my pick on my shoulder. I also use the SWING ARM! I wouldn't swing without it, but I have to tell you the hip stick is really a great invention and it works great.

So how do I carry my pick on my shoulder?

OK, I took a 5 inch long piece of 2 inch wide nylon webbing. I folded a 1 1/2 inch piece of the 5 inch long webbing over on to itself and stitched the sides, and made a pocket that I put a super magnet in. Then I stitched the pocket shut. So now I had a little pocket with the super magnet in it which took up 3 inches of my 5 inces, and I have 2 inches of webbing left like a little tail. I stitched that tail onto the top of my shoulder harness.

When I put my pick on my shoulder, the magnet jumps up and snaps onto the pick head and holds it on my shoulder without me holding on to the pick.

It works great. Pick is always ready and up and away from the coil. When you need it you snap the Swing Arm into the clip that comes with it that attaches to your main rod on your detector to hold it snug and out of the way.

http://www.docsdetecting.com/docsplace/coi...oils3.html#acsa

BCOT!

Doc

I know pepole that would never go out detecting without their Hip Stick. I have never used one or the swing arm but I would use the hip stick before

I would use the swing arm only because I prefer to carry my pick on my shoulder.

I would be completely lost without my Hipstick, so much so that on occasion when I have forgotten it I have just packed up and gone home again rather than detect without it. I have also used it is gully country but I almost always use coils larger than 17" so the weight dictates the need against the scrubby country preventing it from being useful.

Here in Australia the demand for the Hipsticks has continued to surprise me with orders coming in every few days even during the quiet times, all credit to Chris Porter for putting in the effort and coming up with such a brilliant and effective design.

JP

Guest Mike C...

Wow sounds like a good device for seniors :blink: I like to keep things simple and that means not carring more than I need to :mellow: sounds like something I can do without---are you all a bunch of wussys or what---man up :spank: ---Mike C... :ph34r:

Hey Mike C...

That is a funny comment...lol,

Just remember that seniors might have thought about what they are doing enough

to have figured out that this HipStick device really works

and it gives them hours more detecting time instead of a sore shoulder or arm or back.

And everyone gets those - even youngsters like you :rolleyes:

I am a senior and use one every time I go out - with every coil I own - in whatever terrain I hunt in.

But I used to be a youngster like Mike C and would have appreciated the good advice I read above.

(and Mike even a manly man like you could handle it - it weighs a couple of ounces.)

Just joking :ph34r: ...you gave me a good excuse to add my admiration for a very smart device.

Kudo's to Chris Porter...who is not a senior.

And to Jonathan Porter who became an early advocate after trying it out

and who gave it authenticity when he began using one.

Flak

As a frequent and happy user of the hip stick, Lucky and Nuggetslayer convinced me into getting a swing arm! I will certainly say they are BOTH great. In the taller grass and on hillsides the swing arm is great. On relativle flat open areas, the Hip Stick would be my choice. They are both in my bag and will stay there!

El Dorado,

Where do you find the swing arm? I've looked on line an don't seem to find mention or I'm not entering correctly in Google. I noticed it in a recent video that Nuggetslayer took of Lucky and he had one on his detector. Any information is appreciated.

h20prospector

El Dorado,

Where do you find the swing arm? I've looked on line an don't seem to find mention or I'm not entering correctly in Google. I noticed it in a recent video that Nuggetslayer took of Lucky and he had one on his detector. Any information is appreciated.

h20prospector

Scroll back up the page and click on Doc's link and there it is.

Guest Mike C...

Hi Flak I was just having a little fun :rolleyes: --I'm sure it works as good as everyone says it does--if my coil starts to feel heavy from a long day of beepin I just hook the bungy up to it and I'm no spring chicken either :blink: ---Mike C... :ph34r:

Hey Mike C...

That is a funny comment...lol,

Just remember that seniors might have thought about what they are doing enough

to have figured out that this HipStick device really works

and it gives them hours more detecting time instead of a sore shoulder or arm or back.

And everyone gets those - even youngsters like you :rolleyes:

I am a senior and use one every time I go out - with every coil I own - in whatever terrain I hunt in.

But I used to be a youngster like Mike C and would have appreciated the good advice I read above.

(and Mike even a manly man like you could handle it - it weighs a couple of ounces.)

Just joking :ph34r: ...you gave me a good excuse to add my admiration for a very smart device.

Kudo's to Chris Porter...who is not a senior.

And to Jonathan Porter who became an early advocate after trying it out

and who gave it authenticity when he began using one.

Flak

Wow sounds like a good device for seniors :blink: I like to keep things simple and that means not carring more than I need to :mellow: sounds like something I can do without---are you all a bunch of wussys or what---man up :spank: ---Mike C... :ph34r:

I'll put my hand up for being a wussy. :lol:

Seriously though, as I use bigger mono coils and prefer the 20" or 25" to swing, the hipstick is a brilliant bit of gear. I don't even disconnect it if I go to my smallest coil, the 14" x 9" as I have gotten so used to it being there. Cheers.

The first time I took the hipstick out was in a really remote hilly area where some good nugs had been found in a couple of gullies. It was so useless on those hillsides, a real hindrance. I just ended up tossing it under a rock for the day and if I hadn't of happened by that same spot on the way out, it would still be there.

It would be o.k. in my opinion on flats only but I'd personally go without it there as well. It really gets in the way pinpointing, kneeling down etc. Totally cumbersome.

Ted,

It sounds like you may have gotten a little impatient which is normal,

but it is misleading to say it gets in the way or stops you from kneeling.

All you have to do is pull the shaft out of the little holder on your belt

or unsnap it at the upper D ring

and the whole thing moves around with you with no hinderance

and that includes kneeling down.

If you just don't like it, that's another story.

Flak