190 lb nugget in nevada city

Man, I thought I was on the Sudan forum for a second. How was it found?

nvchris,

A very lucky prospector! Wish we knew what method was used to find it?

The mother lode has and can produce some very large nuggets, however they are seldom in numbers outside of a pocket.

Dean

His metal detector went off and then he dug down 10 FEET!!!!!!!.....What kind of detector did he have?

Wow... good point.... maybe they said it was down 10' to try to keep people from going out there if they found out where he lives (title searching his last name etc) but yea, even PI deep seeker detectors aren't about to go down 10', although it was HUGE size I find it hard to believe you'd get a signal at all at 10' depth.

Ahh c'mon Jenn! The paper said it so it MUST be true! Right?.. :rolleyes: Terry

Wow... good point.... maybe they said it was down 10' to try to keep people from going out there if they found out where he lives (title searching his last name etc) but yea, even PI deep seeker detectors aren't about to go down 10', although it was HUGE size I find it hard to believe you'd get a signal at all at 10' depth.

They claim he used a backhoe to dig it out, otherwise I would say it was a stretchy ruler. It could be they have the order of details wrong. Maybe they dug the hole first as a test hole and were detecting as they pulled dirt out.

• Admin

Hey Sean,

That is probably exactly how they found it. Sounds like they were sampling or working some of the old "Blue Leads" Ancient Channels with the Backhoe and probably detected when they got close to bedrock. The nugget was probably 10 foot down from the top of the overburden.

Wishing them the best of luck finding more nuggets.

Rob Allison

Give it about a week and he'll list the property for sale at some ridiculous inflated price... great way to raise the "value".... Sean probably has it right, they were probably stripping off overburden with a backhoe and THEN swept coil...

Jen