Heat Exhaustion - I got it ......

• Admin

Hello All,

I'm native to Arizona and never had any trouble with the heat. Since the early 90's I've been hunting year around, even in the hottest parts of the year.

Monday I went out for a short hunt and realized it was freaking hot. However, nothing different than any other time. I spent about 5 hours out in the hills and went through about 5-6 water bottles. It got to a point where it got so hot I decided to call it a day and head home. Everything was fine until I got home that evening. My head started to pound and I felt like I need to throw-up. I laid down for awhile and my wife decided to take my temp and it was nearly 103! :o

Luckily my wife being an RN was able to get my temp back down to around 100. However, we battled the temp battle for about 5 hours with my temp going from 98 to 103 and back and forth.

This is the first time I've had heat exhaustion and it's no joke my friends. This shit can kill you and luckily I got the hell out of there when I did. At around 104 temp you start to fry you brain.

Well I'm here at home now and feel better, but still pretty weak.

This is no joke, its Summer time and you better stay hydrated. I used to always say it will never happen to me, but it did.

Be careful out there,

Rob Allison

been there you may find the heat will get to you sooner and faster from now on it did to me hope you have better luck when it hit me I set in a ice cold shower and tried to get my head screwed back on

Rob take care of yourself nothing is worth your health good thing you were not way out in the sticks

Yep, me also, I used to hunt when it was in the upper 90's, and I carry a 72 oz hydration baller, some times I emty it, I learned that with me taking water pills and blood thinners, not to hunt when its that hot, You can die and I have a better chance since I have a bad heart. I will hunt tomarrow with Dean, its going to be 84-85 and the coolest day of this coming week. Next week will will be in the 100's. No hunting for me when its that hot. Glad your ok Rob, I usally start the night before hydrating myself, It helps but is not a sure thing. I go home when its too hot for me. Grubstake

Yo Rob...Glad you made it OK...Heat stroke is no joke ... When I was very young, 16, I got heat stroke in Death Valley while working on a construction job in 120+ degree heat... I was living alone at the time and didn't know what had happened to me ... I ended up in bed and not able to get out ... By a fluke, after I didn't show up for the job for a couple of days, my cousin came over and found me ... They got me to the Dr. and got me fixed up, but I ended up being bed ridden for nearly two weeks ... For six or so years after that I used to get crippling migraine headaches ... Finally those went away ... So be careful out there ... Cheers, Unc

Hey Rob, hope you are taking it easy! Staying hydrated is a good thing, however, what they sometimes don't tell you, is water is not all you need. I got heatstroke in N. Nevada, laid around in my rv for 3 days, till I started to feel better. I had drank lots of water, to stay ahead of the dehydration, but that wasn't enough to stave off heat exhaustion. That is precisely why sports drinks like gatorade, powerade were invented. In addition to the liquids, you need to include in the mix, potassium, which is key. When you are depleted of potassium, as you must have been,

bad things can happen. Carbonated pop is a no-no, it depletes the potassium as well. So stick with a sports type drink, I like the kind with the lowest sugar content, but highest potassium content. I am no way an expert, but taking lots of those sports drinks, and water, should keep you going. The bad news is, now that you have had heat stroke, I have heard that it is much easier to have it occur in the future. In my case, I have found that to be true...

~LARGO~

You just needed a big straw hat .... lol:D

That sucks, I've given the desert a few puke samples, no fun. That's crazy you stayed that hot for so long even after being in a cool house. I was told by a doctor that your heat threshold / tolerance for extended heat exposure is lowered every time you get heat stoke.

DigDeep

You just needed a big straw hat .... lol:D

That sucks, I've given the desert a few puke samples, no fun. That's crazy you stayed that hot for so long even after being in a cool house. I was told by a doctor that your heat threshold / tolerance for extended heat exposure is lowered every time you get heat stoke.

DigDeep

I've been fortunate that I have never suffered from it in my time in the desert. My rv has a decent fan but with the windows open it's often 105-110 indoors. but I do believe in gator aid and water. If I run low I'm off to ridgecrest for a refill.

• Admin

\

Hey Guys,

Ya, this heat exhaustion and heat stroke is no joke. I'm getting a bit older and carry a few extra pounds now, which I'm sure don't help. Also, I was jumping back in forth from my trucks AC that was freezing cold out to the 102+ hot weather. I'm thinking this might have done it.

The weekend prior I was drinking tons of soda, which is a killer also.

Lesson learned for the next go around. I promise to hydrate and bring plenty of sports drinks and water.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Glad you are OK... not good at all. Was in the bush many years ago... on the 3rd day of 125+ and 99% humidity the water was running a bit low so had to cut back... I actually quit sweating..... not a good thing to happen in tango infested jungle with 2 days to go.........so glad to have found a mud hole!

Glad you are ok Rob...

Drinking loads of water flushes the minerals from your system...most people get plenty of salt, even too much. But very few get enough potassium. I take potassium tablets and eat salted sunflower seeds...this combination keeps my s/p level in balance, I also drink water, of course.

One other thing that I do is use one of those neck ties with a water absorbing gell sewed in...soak it in water and it will help keep your temp down...the tablets are much cheaper than sports drinks...if you have heart problems check with your doc first...

fred

Rob,

The older I get the more I enjoy the cooler climates. I never really enjoyed the Winter months as a younger man. Now during the Summer months I'm looking for the high ground to take advantage from the heat. You might want to consider that too...our start to night hunt! Good luck.

LuckyLundy

Rob,

The older I get the more I enjoy the cooler climates. I never really enjoyed the Winter months as a younger man. Now during the Summer months I'm looking for the high ground to take advantage from the heat. You might want to consider that too...our start to night hunt! Good luck.

LuckyLundy

You have no clue how much a bottle of pedalite can do for you.

Take care out there in the 100+ degree weather, I've never had heat stroke, but have been dehydrated so much so that I couldn't get my heart rate down for hours. The doctor said when you're to that point you don't have enough fluid to fill up your veins, so the heart pumps twice as fast to try to keep everything full. That's no fun either :huh: and be careful with potassium pills, use sparingly, I hear they can mess up heart rhythm.

Guest GoldProspectinginOz

You can also drink too much water and then become very ill or even die from hyponatremia

Their have been a number of deaths on the Kakoda trail in Papua New Guinea believed to be from just this effect.

doug

You can also drink too much water and then become very ill or even die from hyponatremia

Their have been a number of deaths on the Kakoda trail in Papua New Guinea believed to be from just this effect.

doug

That's why I take gator aid or recommend pedalite. Reduced eclectrolytes can cause problems with using just the water.

Rob,

I always heard once you have had heat exhaustion/heat stroke you were more susceptable to it.

You get sensitized.

Anyway, you were lucky,----- you didn't just have heat exhaustion, because you temp was borderline heat stroke!

Most heat exhaustion has a lower temp than you had,,,,,,you were trying hard to "ring the bell"...of heat stroke.

Well everyone have a good and blessed weekend, looks like it may be a little cooler.

paul

• Admin

Hey Al,

I really want to get down that way. There are some other spots I want to show you also (smaller placer areas). It's raining here in Surprise. I wanted to get out this morning for a few hours of nuggetshooting, but the Wife said NO-NO! :spank: I guess I have to rest ....

Rob Allison

Rob

Glad to hear you got out of the heat in time.I also got into trouble being out in the heat too long.After I recovered a friend of mine told me about THERMO-TABS. They are an amazing tablet that is kept behind the pharmacy counter at the local drug store.He told me to put one in your mouth and if it tastes awesome you need it ,if not it tastes nasty and I spit it out.I can work outside all day without getting into trouble,been using them formany years.Call me when you feel better.

Dave

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I think this was a good post for this time of year. Maybe it can save someone else from getting heat exhaustion or heat stroke.

What I've always been told (not that I do it all the time), is that you need to mix 50/50 water and sports drinks. Drinking just water will not completely hydrate the body.

I actually went out and puchased a few cases of Poweraid Ion and water stickly for my prospecting trips this Summer. I'm also looking for a good wide brim hat, but then I can't use headphones. I might have to stick with an external speaker over the Summer.

Take care,

Rob Allison