Minelab

I for one would like to know what you can tell us about the old and new GPX.For one will they keep GPX4500 and will they like you said you wanted to see a detector in the middle range of 2000 to 2500.

I know you just got back but in the next day or so tell what you can.

Glad you and your family made it back home safely.

Chuck Anders

• Admin

Hello Chuck,

It's my understanding for now that the GPX4500 will still be available. Minelab knows about missing out on the mid-ranged PI metal detector. They didn't directly say anything was right around the corner, just the fact they know about it and sounds like they are or will take action on it.

The US market is the biggest, so I doubt they will allow that market to run away for too much longer. The SD2100 and SD2200 are discontinued and I know there has been some debate on this.

The GPX4500 has been out and available for several years now, so we all should know about what they can do. The new GPX4800 and GPX5000 are the latest and greatests. I haven't been playing much with the GPX4800, but have been with the GPX5000 with good success. I have found this new detector to be much smoother, which in most cases will mean hearing fainter targets down deeper and potentially smaller targets.

I've been playing around with one of the new timings, "Fine Gold," which seems to be a real sleeper. This new timing is awesome on high mineralization and can find smaller gold, smaller specimens and better on the porous type gold over the prior GPX units and timings.

There is always talk about big gold, but the reality is many of the big, easy nuggets have been "cherry picked" already. There is much more smaller gold and smaller gold at depth than larger gold. At todays current gold price, I'm glad the new Minelab's are able to find very small gold, which is reality is the "beans and bacon" of detecting.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hey Lee,

That is a very good question. I haven't tested the GPX5000 with the "Fine Gold" timing on nuggets under a grain in size. I know on 2-3 grain nuggets the GPX5000 will blow your ears off!

If I had to make an educated guess right off the top of my head, I would say the GB2 (@ 71kHz) still has the advantage on small gold, but will struggle with mineralization unlike the GPX series.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Archived