Back from the Outback

Well I'm back after a month in the Outback. Only found 2 dinks .2 grams each, but I had a good time. I ran into some real great ozi's, and saw some great country and places. Went Yabby fishing and had a couple yabby sandwiches. Saw a few Goanna's, Lone horn Goats, A few Kangroos and many more along the roadside, a Brown Snake and a zillion sand flies. The guy that I went with didn't find a nugget and turned out tobe a tourist. He sold his 4500 after a week and set around the rest of the trip. Not a prospector. Would I go again? Yes, I think so, but I would make sure that whoever I went with, had the same passion that I do. I loved the Outback, not a sole for miles around. Any help that I can give to anyone, please ask. Doug B)B)

• Admin

Hey Doug,

Sounds like you had a great trip, but sounds like you would have liked to find more gold. This seems to be the norm for more guys going over there the first trip. You have to learn the ropes, so the first trip or so you're just figuring out what you need to make the follow trip more successful. A good friend of mine used to go every year back in the 90's and stated the same thing. The first trip or so he just learned about the lay of the land, how to rent vehicles, where to get food and fuel, talked with some locals and found a little bit of gold. After like the 3-4 trip, he was renting his own vehicle, buying camp supplies and heading to the Outback on his own. There were several seasons they found 100-200 ounces back then, but he kind of had to pay his dues and learn what he needed to do.

Keep in mind also; they were only using the Goldbug's and Goldmaster's, not any PI's. He said they spent more time fighting with mineralization around Western Australia with the VLF's and only wished he could have been on those patches they found with a Minelab PI.

Thanks for sharing your trip and experiences. I'm sure you had a great time regardless.

P.S. On another note, we still need to get together.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hey Doug,

Sounds like you had a great trip, but sounds like you would have liked to find more gold. This seems to be the norm for more guys going over there the first trip. You have to learn the ropes, so the first trip or so you're just figuring out what you need to make the follow trip more successful. A good friend of mine used to go every year back in the 90's and stated the same thing. The first trip or so he just learned about the lay of the land, how to rent vehicles, where to get food and fuel, talked with some locals and found a little bit of gold. After like the 3-4 trip, he was renting his own vehicle, buying camp supplies and heading to the Outback on his own. There were several seasons they found 100-200 ounces back then, but he kind of had to pay his dues and learn what he needed to do.

Keep in mind also; they were only using the Goldbug's and Goldmaster's, not any PI's. He said they spent more time fighting with mineralization around Western Australia with the VLF's and only wished he could have been on those patches they found with a Minelab PI.

Thanks for sharing your trip and experiences. I'm sure you had a great time regardless.

P.S. On another note, we still need to get together.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Thanks Rob, May be You, Justin and I will make it out sometimes. Doug

Welcome back Doug. Expensive dues to pay, but what the heck! By the time the next trip happens they will have a GPZ 6000 that has a compass pointing to the unsearched patches!

Steve, that would be real nice, Even I could find gold then. I might have a little more work for you the next time I make it up your way. Happy hunting. Doug

Doug,

Welcome home! I've traveled the world and there is no-place like home. Now you need to get busy in your local area for some home cooking. See ya soon,

LuckyLundy

Lucky, I am going out on Thursday with a good friend (Justin). May be we will find a couple. I am anxious to try my new settings that I used with the Gold Stalker coil. Hope it gets the same response over here. Really glad that Robin enjoys hunting as much as you do. Keep um coming. Doug

Welcome back Doug....finding gold is always nice but enjoying the whole trip is more important, unless you are a pro or semi-pro....strangely, my first and second trips produced much more gold than this last one...it has to be under the coil to find it.

Too bad about your choice of companions...that is a variable that is difficult to control...

hope to see you some time

fred

Welcome back Doug....finding gold is always nice but enjoying the whole trip is more important, unless you are a pro or semi-pro....strangely, my first and second trips produced much more gold than this last one...it has to be under the coil to find it.

Too bad about your choice of companions...that is a variable that is difficult to control...

hope to see you some time

fred

Fred, If you would like to see Greaterville again, just let me know . We can camp out in Gardner Canyon. Just let me know. Doug

Silver Dog Doug,

Looks like you had a great trip and to bad you didn't find more gold. But those crawdads look very good, I miss eating those. Well time to start digging them up around here.

Road Dog

Road Dog, I hate to say it, but that was one of my better memories. Great Country and great people. This guy was merchant a Marine for 40 yrs., and every other word was F------. I met some great people. The next guy was Garret Dealer until Mine Lab put him out of Business. We hunted togeather for a week , but came up empty.

thanks Doug...what is the story re the big hole? In most of the ground I have seen in WA a big, deep hole usually meant a keeper?

fred

I got a good signal, and I didn't stop digging until I found the can lid that I was looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! John, the ex Garret Dealer helped me dig it. I was going to give him 10%. What a bummer. Guess where the Toilet was?

Doug - what was the temperature like while you were there?

Which part of WA were you prospecting?

Chris

Chris, the weather was great, except about 3 days. It was in the low 70's and 80's, and 3 days in the low 90's. I was in Leonora, Laverton,mt. Weld, Mt. Morgan,Menzies, Kookynie,and all around the Kalgoorlie area. I would like to have gone to the Halls Creek area, but I thought it might be a little hot. Plus my plans changed a little because of my partner(if you would call him that) Take care. Doug

I see the flys were out in force...the pic of your friend sitting at the table...if you go take a head-net, pray for a breeze and lower temps...the flys don't go until the temp gets them warm...and, as Jonathan Porter taught me; keep the wind in your face!

Doug...my condolences for drawing a bad card (partner)...that is not the first time I've heard that sad tale...I look forward to spending a few days hunting with you and hearing your story...

Fred

I see the flys were out in force...the pic of your friend sitting at the table...if you go take a head-net, pray for a breeze and lower temps...the flys don't go until the temp gets them warm...and, as Jonathan Porter taught me; keep the wind in your face!

Doug...my condolences for drawing a bad card (partner)...that is not the first time I've heard that sad tale...I look forward to spending a few days hunting with you and hearing your story...

Fred

Fred, any time, just give me a call.

Archived