Sudan Part 7

We get to do some prospecting at a location where a French Mining company has done some work. We get the tents up, and actually get to swing the coils for a while. All of us are pretty exhausted from sleeping in a car all night long and getting about 4 hours sleep.

We stay the night then pack up to go to another area that has been mined heavily by prospectors with metal detectors.

Doc

Thank you I appreciate the comments. Some will find these videos too mundane, others will appreciate them for what they are, sort of a documentary of this trip to Sudan.

I was never without my video camera, obviously I could not video everything, but I tried to video enough so that the person viewing these videos would feel they had a good sense of what the trip was like.

Thanks!

Doc

Hey, I'm enjoying all the videos. The talking/commentary is great, getting explanations of things. It's like we're along on the trip. Nice videos!

Doc judging from your face and general look I would guess that most of all it was an EXHAUSTING trip for you.

I'm hoping for your sake a little "Ol Yeller" shows up somewhere for you before leaving for the journey home.

Thank you I appreciate the comments. Some will find these videos too mundane, others will appreciate them for what they are, sort of a documentary of this trip to Sudan.

I was never without my video camera, obviously I could not video everything, but I tried to video enough so that the person viewing these videos would feel they had a good sense of what the trip was like.

Thanks!

Doc

Exactly. We see your moods, your exhaustion, your being a stranger in this place and dealing with language barriers , etc. All the while being on an adventure most of us will never get to experience. These videos are gold themselves. I know it takes work. I'm waitin for the next series! Great job on them.

No I as I have said before there was no gold found. We even quizzed the local prospectors, they are down to scratching out little 1 gram pieces. The places they have been detecting have been hit hard for three years and they are worked out and trashed out.

If we had more time to actually do prospecting, we would have had some luck but this was a whirlwind tour.

First stop was a 200 mile drive. We got there on Tuesday. The next stop was about 60 mile South of the first location. We drove there on Wednesday, I think. We left there and drove 600 miles North into the desert and stopped at 2 am in the morning and slept in the car. The next morning we drove further North to the original gold field where gold was found. We detected there for the day and then drove 500 miles back to Khartoum.

All this time we were passing by some of the most fantastic ground that no one has ever touched.

Doc

Doc judging from your face and general look I would guess that most of all it was an EXHAUSTING trip for you.

I'm hoping for your sake a little "Ol Yeller" shows up somewhere for you before leaving for the journey home.

Good job Doc,

Re your comment about the ground you were on being similar to Australian goldfields, you're right and wrong :D:D:D

Western Australia is most like the Sudan in the majority of places. Very flat. The Northern territory and parts of South Australia are similar but the easter states are nothing like the Sudan. They are hilly and/or bushland.

Has there ever been any dryblowing in the Sudan?

Robert

Doc -I think the most frustrating part of the trip for me would have been their slow starts each day. When I get close to an area I'm going to be detecting I can't get out of the truck and get my gear on FAST enough.Thanks for all of the work editing the video, I know how much time that takes.

You know Doc, once it’s been declassified, you’ll have to tell us the real story behind your trip. B) Teaching Sudanese metal detector customers – who can produce a new visa for you in 24-hours, to recognize contact zones.. (cue the “Mission Impossible” music here) Nice trip, or nice cover? Ahhh, probably just a Time-Life book! :rolleyes: Terry

What a fantasy, verry cool bet your chomping at the bit driving past all that unexplored ground on your way to the pounded areas! no flat land like that down on the border around me bet it would be more fun if you could get off the beaten path for a couple weeks, be safe down there and come back to AZ in one piece

Frustrating does not begin to describe the feeling. I was on the trip of a lifetime, and we were passing ground that was just begging to be detected.

Then we would reach our destination and everyone would sort of look around at each other like, WHAT NEXT?

But I had a wonderful time all the same.

Doc

Doc -I think the most frustrating part of the trip for me would have been their slow starts each day. When I get close to an area I'm going to be detecting I can't get out of the truck and get my gear on FAST enough.Thanks for all of the work editing the video, I know how much time that takes.

Tough trip, Doc...why does everyone take us where the gold was...hardly anyone wants to take us where it is...of course they would have had you turn off Spot for that portion of the trip...

too many problems, to many miles and too little detecting. It reminds me of my recent weeks in NSW/ Victoria with Doug...but I didn't need armed guards

fred

Archived