Coil choice for larger nuggets

I'm hoping to get back to Nevada and Arizona this fall (work and pleasure)... and I want to search an area where larger placer gold has historically been found.

I am sure most of the shallow small stuff has gone, so my only chance is hitting something bigger and a lot deeper. I have already tried a 18" Commander with little success.

I am considering the Coiltek Goldstalker 24x14, which I would guess has the size to punch deep, while being more sensitive being elliptical rather than round.

So what coil would you guys recommend for getting the maximum depth to a 1oz nugget?

I am a verry proud owner of the 24x14 goldstalker(got it 2 days after ordering from Rob :D ) the first day out i was pulling 1/2 and 1 gram crumbs at the 4 to 8 inch range, and talk about depth on bigger stuff too well this coil will be hard to beat ;) not to mention its super lite, get ready to dig some 3+ foot deep holes

Hi All

A 24" x 12" NF Mono coil has approx the same depth capabilities of a 16" round NF mono as told to me by Jack Lange,

Saying that I predominantly use a 20" NF round mono here in oz.

I picked up a 6oz nug @26" depth with an SD2200d 16" round NF mono, no signal booster on detector it was only a whisper, just enough to pull me up & recheck, scraped of 2" of dirt before it said dig me.

cheers

Lee

I'm not seeing the Goldstacker 24x14 on Rob's site......is it the same on the UFO??????

its kinda a secret weapon :ph34r::lol: (Rob has it and the 22 round in stock) and using the correct formula it equals out to a 19 round 14+24=38 38 divided in half = 19 The ground down here is anything but open where we hunt so this coil seems better for rocky terrain than my big rounds

check it out at the coiltek manufacturing website you can acess it from nugget hunting .(not a ufo)

I'm hoping to get back to Nevada and Arizona this fall (work and pleasure)... and I want to search an area where larger placer gold has historically been found.

I am sure most of the shallow small stuff has gone, so my only chance is hitting something bigger and a lot deeper. I have already tried a 18" Commander with little success.

I am considering the Coiltek Goldstalker 24x14, which I would guess has the size to punch deep, while being more sensitive being elliptical rather than round.

So what coil would you guys recommend for getting the maximum depth to a 1oz nugget?

Gordon, round is always the best coil shape to go for in Monoloops for outright depth. The reason is quite simple really, when a target is deep the resultant eddy current can be minute, having a coil that captures the resultant reflected field from the target equally across the whole coils surface is the best option, elliptical coils do not do this as effectively so are best used as outright coverage tools or thanks to their shape used in areas where the terrain offers an advantage.

For a 1 ounce nugget the 18" round coils hit the sweet spot especially with the Smooth class of timings, however if chasing outright depth using timings like Normal or Sharp round monoloop coils up the 25 inches offer an advantage.

Hope this helps,

JP

Not trying to highjack the tread but while we are talking coils.....

I meant up a forum member this weekend (TXkajun) and he had a few subgram nuggets. I was using my 15x12 Minelab coil and not getting any hit on the smaller nuggets at all. I could dig a 22 bullet at about 18 inches but not seeing the nuggets under a gram even when they touched the coil. I switched to the 11 round Commander coil and still nothing???? :blink: I know this coil and my setting found my first nugget at about 14 inches or so but it was about 4 grams I think.....Now TX's 705 would singer with that little nugget up to about 2". Operator error? Could a better operator pick up a subgram nugget with the 11" coil at least? Thanks

• Admin

Hey AZOverLand,

Your new GPX5000 should sing on a subgram nugget. Are you sure you're not talking about subgrain (like smaller than a grain of gold)?

A Gram nugget is 15 grains, so half of that would be 7 grains. I can make a 7 grain nugget scream on a GPX5000 with even bigger coils. I'm sure it's your settings, which is causing you to have lack of sensitivity to that nugget.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Not trying to highjack the tread but while we are talking coils.....

I meant up a forum member this weekend (TXkajun) and he had a few subgram nuggets. I was using my 15x12 Minelab coil and not getting any hit on the smaller nuggets at all. I could dig a 22 bullet at about 18 inches but not seeing the nuggets under a gram even when they touched the coil. I switched to the 11 round Commander coil and still nothing???? :blink: I know this coil and my setting found my first nugget at about 14 inches or so but it was about 4 grams I think.....Now TX's 705 would singer with that little nugget up to about 2". Operator error? Could a better operator pick up a subgram nugget with the 11" coil at least? Thanks

thats not right , my test nug is 3 grain and can be heard at a few inches was your machine accidently in cancel? i know back when i started with the gpx's id go to a area where i got good gold the day before hunt untill lunch and look to see the switch in cancel, flip it and score nugs 5 mins later, now i check everything in my startup process, ill be in greaterville this wends to camp overnight if you can make it we can go over your machine and ill show you some of my best settings for GV :)

Hey AZOverLand,

Your new GPX5000 should sing on a subgram nugget. Are you sure you're not talking about subgrain (like smaller than a grain of gold)?

The nugget was what most would call a picker, just big enough to pick up. It really shook my confidence to the point I reset the machine back to all factory setting, put on the 11" coil and tried again. It just wasn't happening, all day Saturday my thershold was really junky, up and down......couldn't get the smooth thershold I though I found down there, even in the factory presets I couldn't pick up that little nugget. Could it be alot of radio activity in the area? We were literally surrounded by a platoon of fully armed soldiers humping the hills supported by two Humvee's late in the day after TX left. WTF - I didn't know they did drills and sh!t like that in Greaterville! I'm out there with a little 9mm peashooter and here come 30 plus dudes armed with AR-15's and RPG's!!!!Glad I wasn't a Coyote!

On Sunday my old settings where back to sweet and smooth and we were busy digging boot tacks and bits of wire at a foot or more again.

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this the weekend throws a curve ball like that... :unsure:

At least we had the old Pabst Blue Ribbon to fall back on for comfort......that's stuff been the same since 1893...back then you could find a good nugget in Greaterville :D:D:D

Gordon, round is always the best coil shape to go for in Monoloops for outright depth. The reason is quite simple really, when a target is deep the resultant eddy current can be minute, having a coil that captures the resultant reflected field from the target equally across the whole coils surface is the best option, elliptical coils do not do this as effectively so are best used as outright coverage tools or thanks to their shape used in areas where the terrain offers an advantage.

For a 1 ounce nugget the 18" round coils hit the sweet spot especially with the Smooth class of timings, however if chasing outright depth using timings like Normal or Sharp round monoloop coils up the 25 inches offer an advantage.

Hope this helps,

JP

That makes sense... so I should stick with my 18" Goldstalker and Commander coils... or up it to a round 20" (or 22" or even 25") and go for really big stuff :)

Thanks JP.

That makes sense... so I should stick with my 18" Goldstalker and Commander coils... or up it to a round 20" (or 22" or even 25") and go for really big stuff :)

Thanks JP.

The 18" round Commander coil is a brilliant coil albeit a little heavy, for the price all I do is remove the skid plate and rig up a Hipstick, for the price and thanks to the thickness of the coil housing it's worth knocking it around a bit for the weight saving. Due to the design of the coil I tend to find the underside of the coil (so long as you treat it with a little care) will last for a surprisingly long time, putting a little gaffa tape round the edges saves on the hard angles getting pounded thin.

I was using the 18" Commander when I shot THIS (Minelab Treasure Talk Blog).

JP

Hi JP, thanks for your input, this is a very interesting topic. In very quiet ground, using normal timings do you think that a 25" mono coil would give any depth advantage over the 18" mono?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers :)

Depends on the size of the target but generally yes it will. Mainly it is the receive area of the coil that gives the advantage, I have had a lot of success over the years using large mono coils on large deep nuggets.

JP

Pics of some of the gold I have found and holes I have dug with large coils

Largecoilgold.jpgDeephole.jpg

Archived