What's A GP Extreme worth ?

I have a customer who wants to sell his Minelab GP Extreme, it has a brand new lead acid battery and a UFO coil.

I told him I would check on Ebay and look at the completed auctions. That usually gives you a good idea of market value.

But there were none listed. I know what he thinks it is worth but I think he is high.

So anyway, the only way I can get him to think more reasonably is to say, hey, I asked on the forum, guys that know this market, and here is the range they came back with.

He calls me once a week asking if I have found anyone that might be interested in his machine and I tell him not at the price you think you want for it.

I'd like to help him find a buyer but he has to realize no one is going to pay for his sentimental value.

Thanks!

Doc

I watch Ebay alot when it comes to the older models. At auction, and if you have favorable sellers feedback on ebay, I think a GP Extreme would sell anywhere from 1900.00 to 2400.00

Im basing that on how well the used gold detecting products market is at the moment. Im also basing that on two separate auctions that just ended for 2200D`s. One ended for 1975.00 and the other ended at 1475.00

Just my 2 cents.....

Doc,

5 years ago, I saw one with extra coils go for $1500. At that time it might have been more typical for one to sell at about $1850.

If they go for $2400 on ebay, more power to those sellers but in my opinion, that's insane.

I second what Grubstake said. It's worth $1200 or $0, unless he want to take it to ebay I guess.

in my opinion 4000s are going left and right for $2000 to $2500 i even seen one sell for 1500 recently and it was nice. the only way an extreme would be worth over two grand (to me) would be a modified one from down under , hope this helps Doc :)

Hey Doc,

They r right, I just sold one in less than a week for 1500 with a dd 11....decided to throw in an 8 inch too....that was with the pocket rocket and amp set up too, headphones....

Then I sold a 2100v2 for 900 a week later

I think people who wanna get in, and people who wanna help people get started are buying these older units up.....I know one thing...any I had would pick up gold if I had it tuned right and I actually put the coil over gold.

Just my opinion ..

Paul

I've seen them sell within the past 6-8 months for between 12-1800 dollars, depending on condition and x-tras including pocket rockets, aftermarket coils etc.

Doc its the same ol story, whether its a house, auto, or any material item. If you want to sell it you place a reasonable price on it. And it sells.

If the asking price is too high it doesn't.

General rule of thumb with most material items, if it cost 3000.00 new an its a few years old in "good" condition it should bring 1/2 of its original value.

Less for worse condition more for better with updated x-tras.

The "SELLER" MUST also take into consideration when setting an asking price, the capabilities of the item, and availability of repairs/parts for mechanical items.

This is especially true with todays savvy prospective buyers out there looking for a detector to fit their needs/pocketbook.

I don't completly understand the market. The GP Extreme is an amazing detector. With every new detector going way up in price you would think the older models would quit sliding in value. But I guess there is the law of supply and demand. If I knew someone who had on with a few coils I think I'd pay $1600 - $2000 if I were in the market. Of course I would have to know the person to know the detector history or if someone like Doc put a personal gaurntee. They would not hold that value on ebay in my mind.

A few years back I used to track what Minelab PI's were selling for on eBay and the forums in the United States (didn't count Australia since they typically sell higher). I created an Excel spreadsheet that would take the final values and average the prices out. Unfortunately my computer crashed a little while back and I was unable to retrieve the Excel file and after this I decided to not keep track of everything plus it started to get a little time consuming.

I decided to do the same thing today and look up values then average them out. Went back a few months on a couple of the forums as well as eBay. Also I had to figure out some of the ranges based on what I remember seeing back when I used to keep track of this. Here's the used values I came up with-

SD2100- $700 - $1,200 (average was $900, found only one SD2100v2 for sale that was sold)

SD2200- $1,200 - $1,500 (average was $1,437.50)

GP Extreme- $1,500 - $1,800 (average was $1,625.00)

GP 3000- $1,800 - $2,200 (average was $2,166.67)

GP 3500- $2,200 - $2,500 (average was $2,400)

GPX-4000- $2,500 - $3,000 (average was $2,500, only had one example to follow)

GPX-4800- ???! (couldn't find any that have sold)

GPX-5000- $4,000+ (average was $4,284.80)

What throws a monkey wrench into the whole equation is when you factor in accessories such as coils, signal enhancers, non-stock headphones and batteries which a lot of the time is included by sellers which I included them in my spreadsheet. Also too, the value of green box SD's can sometimes be a little surprising. I'd say the high numbers are for brand new barely used detectors or a used detector with lots of accessories. The low end might be older models (SD's and such) or detectors that aren't in the best condition. Another thing to factor in, is that there will alwyas be someone who scored a REALLY good deal. For example I've been lucky enough in the past to score a GP Extreme for $1,000 and also a green box SD2100 for $400. However this is certainly the exception and someone can score a deal like these IF they're patient and pounce on the opportunity when it comes up.

I haven't done this in a few years and I have to admit I was a little surprised to see the price range for GP Extreme's and GP 3000's go up a little bit. I seem to remember them being $100 - $200 cheaper than the price range I see above. Another thing that surprised me, was somebody recently scored a GPX-5000 for only $3,000! Almost to good to be true!

Unfortunately you get a lot of people who are trying to sell their detectors for the price they paid for them a few years back. I've always figured these people never think about the fact that these metal detectors are consumer electronics and unfortunately when you buy consumer electronics brand new you will lose money. I mean who's going to pay full price for a DVD player that's four years old? It's almost the same thing only there's a lot less Minelab PI's manufactured than DVD players and there will always be a demand for them.

Hop this helps!

Del

Clearly a private party sale will be in the best interest of the buyer and even the seller especially if it is done with cash. The same could be applied to an automobile or whatever just as well.

When you put something up for auction though, especially with the viewing base of Ebay, then all the interested parties will depict the market value and outcome of the sale. Thats the risky part, because you stand to take a hit or you could do very well. All I can say is that Ebay seems to favor prospecting equipment lately, so your odds are good that you will get what is fair if not much more.

"GPX-5000- $4,000+ (average was $4,284.80)...Another thing that surprised me, was somebody recently scored a GPX-5000 for only $3,000! Almost to good to be true!"

Paseclipse (Del), is this information you gave above correct, or did you make a mistake and mean a GPX-4500 ??

I think Minelab's next step in the near future should be putting GPX-5000 technology into a more compact, much smaller Safari - E-Trac sized housing with a built-in Li-Ion battery-booster under the arm rest and a factory built-in external speaker all totally self-contained in a grab and run lighter-weight package. Of course the headphone-external speaker and bungee hook-ups are there but optional.

Remember just before they were discontinued, the blue boxes SD2100v2 - $1,198, and the SD2200v2 - $1,898 were selling brand new for these prices. They did not have Dual-Voltage Technology so what does the v2 stand for, version2 ??

Also remember the GP-Extreme had different sub-models having some of them with a problem, when the problem was sorted out then others were good ones. I think this can be identified by the serial numbers.

Paseclipse (Del), is this information you gave above correct, or did you make a mistake and mean a GPX-4500 ??

Beer Beeper yes that information is correct and it is for the GPX-5000. I even double checked the numbers just to make sure because I didn't believe it at first too. All I'm doing is putting the numbers into Excel and it calculates the average for me. For the GPX-5000 I had a total of five data sets to use and what's throwing that number down some is a GPX-5000 that sold on eBay for $3,000. Here's the link for that auction-

GPX-5000 for $3,000

Looking at this auction someone either got scammed (because the price is to good to be true) or they got a VERY good deal (which does happen). The only way to tell is to watch and see what sort of feedback is left for the seller once the item is received from the buyer. I know I personally would be very skeptical about that auction because to me it has a couple elements of the typical eBay Minelab PI scam. If I was the buyer I'd have an ulcer until I had detector in hand.

There is a term for data sets like that one in statistics but I forgot what it's called and how to calculate it. Whats interesting though, is that when you take out the $3,000 auction and average the other four you get an average of $4,606. Today an auction ended for a GPX-5000 and it was pretty high ($5,106). I put that number in (minus the $3,000 auction) and the average now comes out to $4,706 for a Minelab GPX-5000.

Remember just before they were discontinued, the blue boxes SD2100v2 - $1,198, and the SD2200v2 - $1,898 were selling brand new for these prices. They did not have Dual-Voltage Technology so what does the v2 stand for, version2 ??

It's my understanding the Minelab SD's did have Dual Voltage technology and yes I believe the V2 does stand for Version 2. However I'm not 100% positive on this and maybe someone here who has been around a lot longer can correct me?

Also remember the GP-Extreme had different sub-models having some of them with a problem, when the problem was sorted out then others were good ones. I think this can be identified by the serial numbers.

A GP Extreme is a GP Extreme and thats just it. The data I put together doesn't account for different models and any nuances that particular model might have had in the past. Also too there were many different versions of the SD's and again it doesn't account for that as well.

Is anybody starting to see all the variances in this yet? This is exactly why I stopped doing it (minus the fact that I lost the original file) because it can get time consuming.

Now I certainly wouldn't consider the price ranges I list above as an "all inclusive" guide to the values of Minelab PI's. Maybe a starting point to give a person an idea of what private party Minelab PI's have been selling for over the last few months. The most accurate way to figure out the values is to collect data over time and see how it all comes out.

Del

Thanks Del. I think Rob Allison made a post some time back about someone who bought fake chinese GPX-4500 or GPX-5000 unit(s). So you never know if those cheap GPX-5000's are fakes with VLF guts in them. Buyer beware and be careful if you are not buying from a genuine certified dealer like Rob.

No the SD-2200v2 did not have Dual-Voltage Technology as far as I know, otherwise it would be called a GP-3000. So the v2 may stand for version2.

If it is true, this guy is suppose to be able to modify a GP-Extreme to make it about just as good as or better than a GPX-4000 or GPX-4500 according to Jack Lange: http://www.detectormods.com/

Hi Doc

It was really good speaking to you two weeks ago. It has been said that auctions dictate prices. Which are actual sales on items. With eBay probably the largest extending worldwide. I purchased a Gp 3000 one month ago on eBay for $1625. Which is one model up from the GP Extreme. It came stock or standard. With 11" DD coil, leather carrying case, instruction manual, ML heavy battery, harness, both chargers, missing was the bungee cord, but did have that great 2 disc DVD about the GP 3000 and GP Extreme from Jonathan Porter. It is in good shape which I bought from a nice guy in CA. We had both communicated often.

I did two weeks ago added a Pocket Rocket, Gold Screamer, Short Cord and GP cover all from one place---you. BTW, thanks for the St. Michael's pin and harness. Your ok Doc.

Hope this info helps

Jim

• 10 years later...

Ive been looking to pick up a GP extreme for about 6 months but have been unable to get to anyone nearby due to the lock-downs. The average price is around $1200.00 with extra coils, external speakers, (Which I never use anyway) and a LITHIUM battery, sometime even two + all the chargers, 12 volt & 240,  anyone trying to sell an old acid battery is dreaming.  I have found three good machines for sale in the last 6 months. All at or below $1200.00.  They're 20 years old for Gods sake.

My 2 cents, Ive used and would never buy a Minelab Gold monster 1000, what a piece of Chinese junk.  Since China bought out minelab, I won't even entertain buying a new one.

Anywhere from the GP Extreme to GPX 7000 is Australian made, after that, chink rubbish, as per usual.

My top pick is the 4500 going privately for around $2500 to $4000, depending what comes with it.