Coiltek does it Again!

• Admin

Hey Doc,

I've had a couple of customers see it over on Coiltek's site. I was just curious if the constant voltage is going to make a difference?

I know on the SD systems, the constant voltage of the Pocket Rocket system really helped stabilize the unit overall. That being said, I haven't noticed the same on the newer GPX units, such as the GPX5000.

With the old detectors, you could tell when the voltage was getting low, the detector would make much more noise. However, the newer units seem to be different. I can run my GPX5000 down to like 7.4 volts and don't see any difference in depth, sensitivity or stability overall.

I know everyone is looking for any slight advantage, so maybe this might be the ticket.

Great looking product! If anyone is looking for one, give me a call and we can get one shipped out to you ASAP.

Rob Allison

The big selling point a new battery would have for me

is not an on-off switch, or that it has a volume control on it, or even that it is regulated,

as Rob says I cannot tell any difference when the stock Minelab battery runs at full charge or at a slightly lower voltage.

The big selling point for me is run-time.

The Coiltek brochure says it will run for 6 to 8 hours.

The Minelab battery I own for my 5000 will run ten to twelve hours with no problem.

I have a B&Z amp that works perfectly with my dual speakers so the fact that the new battery will run speakers is not too impt.

From the post I am not sure I understand the step-up in benefits this new battery is offering

but I am always looking for a better mouse trap, so I"m all ears.

Not trying to stir the pot, I just need more information.

Flak

Yes I know it's expensive, and The Minelab replacement battery is $570. We can thank Obama for these high prices. The Aussie dollar used to be worth 56 cents. Now it's worth a little more than our dollar.

So an item that used to cost $56 from Australia now costs over $100.

I just had a shipment that came in that cost me $2200 AUD. That shipping used to cost me $1,232 American dollars. Now it costs me $2,220 American dollars.

To answer Rob's question, I really do not know the theory behind Coiltek making a voltage regulated battery. The GPX5000 still has a regulated system inside to vary the voltage on the pulse output, so the only thing I can relate to you is what the Coiltek Manufacturing literature says, "This means no fiddling with settings or audio levels to compensate for power fluctuations; just increased stability and the certainty that the detector is always working at peak performance."

Doc

$500 for a battery!!!!!????? Does it have ground penetrating radar and 100% target ID? .... Time to visit the boy's at Interstate...They can copy anything for less than $100!!! Cheers, Unc

I don't disagree. The price increases I am seeing from everyone, Minelab included, are a bit staggering.

I mean remember when the SD2200 was the top of the line metal detector, and it was $2,995.

Now a new GPX5000 is $5,595.

It isn't just detecting supplies that are going up. Filled up your gas tank lately? Looked at the grocery bill?

Something needs to happen quick.

Doc

I'm sorry, but $500 for a battery?! That's hard to swallow... I hope it comes with bubble gum.

Well the dollar gets weaker but no one is crying about the spot price of gold....too bad I don't get paid in gold. You're right DOC something needs to happen! $500 bucks for a battery that will last you years almost seems like a good deal when a $110 for a tank of gas lasts you two weeks :wacko:

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I think all the battery systems have their place. It's hard to beat the stock Minelab GPX battery cause of the long life it has. I have gotten as much as 14 hours with this battery, but don't care for the harness or backpack type setup.

My overall favorite is the Goldscreamer Power Pack, or a Coiltek Pocket Rocket on the SD/GP series. I don't like to be tethered with the power cord, so this system is tops in my book. I used this system since the early SD2100 all the way to the current GPX5000. I like the fact I can just place the detector on the ground and walk away, or dig and not have the detector right next to me. Having the battery system mounted to the side of the metal detectors is top!

I'm sure the new Coiltek system that Doc posted will have it's place also.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

Hey Guys,

I think all the battery systems have their place. It's hard to beat the stock Minelab GPX battery cause of the long life it has. I have gotten as much as 14 hours with this battery, but don't care for the harness or backpack type setup.

My overall favorite is the Goldscreamer Power Pack, or a Coiltek Pocket Rocket on the SD/GP series. I don't like to be tethered with the power cord, so this system is tops in my book. I used this system since the early SD2100 all the way to the current GPX5000. I like the fact I can just place the detector on the ground and walk away, or dig and not have the detector right next to me. Having the battery system mounted to the side of the metal detectors is top!

I'm sure the new Coiltek system that Doc posted will have it's place also.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

Same here Rob, I love the coiltek pocket rocket & bluetooth cordless head phones on my GP3500.

Archived