My very first nugget find ever with a detector!!!

I know this microscopic compared to a lot of others I have seen on these forums, but I was excited when I found it. Just a pennyweight.

2090814540104764247S600x600Q85.jpg

Sorry dp, that would be some pertinent info, huh? LOL. I was using the Fisher Gold Bug Pro. Found it in an old riverbed of exposed bedrock. It was sitting in an indention of an old rock....kinda like a little swimming pool. Maybe 2 inches down.

He says "microscopic"... Hahaha... Good one! A Pennyweight size nugget is a darn good size for a first find. I think my first one weighed around 1.5 grains.

The weight doesn't matter when it's your first because you get so used to going through the routine of digging everything and your shocked when you see that glitter of gold instead of a bullet or trash.

Way to go and congrats! The nuggets will start coming a lot easier now.

Del

He says "microscopic"... Hahaha... Good one! A Pennyweight size nugget is a darn good size for a first find. I think my first one weighed around 1.5 grains.

The weight doesn't matter when it's your first because you get so used to going through the routine of digging everything and your shocked when you see that glitter of gold instead of a bullet or trash.

Way to go and congrats! The nuggets will start coming a lot easier now.

Del

You are so right, Del. LOL! I was jumping around like my britches were on fire. Man, what a feeling. I just see all these pics of these 1oz. plus nuggets people are finding and think, "Dang! Why can't my area be like that?". And with me living in the middle of the Mojave Desert in Cali, I dig up probably 300-400 shell casings a day ON TOP OF all the nails, and old car parts, etc. The bad thing is, that nugget hit on my GB Pro with the exact same signature (display) as every .22 casing I dug up. I almost threw the nugget away because I thought it was going to be another shell casing. WHEW!!! Good thing I didn't!

I have a drywasher, too, but I'll tell ya...I prefer the detecting over the drywashing hands down. If I could find the small-sized gold with a detector that I find with my drywasher, WITHOUT HAVING TO SPEND $6000 ON A UNIT, I would give up drywashing altogether. But until I have money, or gold, falling out of my bunghole, LOL, I will keep shoveling dirt.

Thanks for the congrats, and I hope your right! I hope they start coming a lot easier now.

Chris you deserve CONGRATS !!! Darn nice nugget for a 1st find fer sure.

And don't throw away that drywasher, your next lesson comming up will be that gold found with the detector is wonderful for sure BUT the steady accumulation of gold in yer poke will come from the drywasher throughout the year, the bacon an eggs sorta. The detected nugs are the icing on the cake.

Nice nuggetshootin !!

There are probably several more close to where you found that one, hardly ever do you just find one nugget. I refer to that as the give away nugget because it gives away the position of all the others in the area. You need to dig every signal within several feet of where you found that one. Nice nugget and don't be surprised if you find a nicer one close by.

Good job!!!!

I was a Congressman paul

Hey Chris

I don't care how small it gets it's still gold and you found it.

I was in the Air Force in 64 with a Ron Coffee at Thule Greenland.I don't guess it's anyone you may know??

Best to you on your find of your next nugget.

Chuck Anders

Hi Chuck,

I guess I shouldn't complain too much about its size. I have only been prospecting for 2-1/2 months and using the GB Pro for a little over a month now.

I did have a Uncle Ron from Missouri who was in the military but I never got to actually meet him. Couldn't tell ya if it was the same guy or not. :D

You are so right, Del. LOL! I was jumping around like my britches were on fire. Man, what a feeling. I just see all these pics of these 1oz. plus nuggets people are finding and think, "Dang! Why can't my area be like that?". And with me living in the middle of the Mojave Desert in Cali, I dig up probably 300-400 shell casings a day ON TOP OF all the nails, and old car parts, etc. The bad thing is, that nugget hit on my GB Pro with the exact same signature (display) as every .22 casing I dug up. I almost threw the nugget away because I thought it was going to be another shell casing. WHEW!!! Good thing I didn't!

I have a drywasher, too, but I'll tell ya...I prefer the detecting over the drywashing hands down. If I could find the small-sized gold with a detector that I find with my drywasher, WITHOUT HAVING TO SPEND $6000 ON A UNIT, I would give up drywashing altogether. But until I have money, or gold, falling out of my bunghole, LOL, I will keep shoveling dirt.

Cris:

Im using a GBpro also.

Watch the bar graph on the lower left side of the screen...it will read about 2 bars on gold.

Watch the speedometer graph on the top when it hits gold vs hitting a shell casing.

Tape the gold to a thin piece of Masonite or something along with a shell casing on another and lead on another, couple of different types of hot rocks....ect

Run your detector over them and notice the readings on each type of metal.

Ground balance a lot...especially after you hit a target.

Practice with it and get to know the bug.

I spoke with a gentleman that has used all kinds of detectors for the past 20 years along with the GB2 and he says the GBpro is by far the best hes used.

You got a good machine.....just have to learn how to use it.

Keep at it man.

Gum

Thanks for the congrats, and I hope your right! I hope they start coming a lot easier now.

congrats bro, you got me beat. i found first in goler gulch and it was about 1/4 that size lol. i was just in the dessert today,hit up couple areas with no success. i bought my dad a gold bug pro last month. hes finding targets just as small as my gpx 5000, and just as big at depths. those are awesome detectors.anyways, if ya ever want a huntin buddy, let me know, i usually go alone,or meet someone there. im just learning the dessert area.im a member of the oc 49ers,which has 8 claims out there.

john

congrats bro, you got me beat. i found first in goler gulch and it was about 1/4 that size lol. i was just in the dessert today,hit up couple areas with no success. i bought my dad a gold bug pro last month. hes finding targets just as small as my gpx 5000, and just as big at depths. those are awesome detectors.anyways, if ya ever want a huntin buddy, let me know, i usually go alone,or meet someone there. im just learning the dessert area.im a member of the oc 49ers,which has 8 claims out there.

john

John,

I will definitely take you up on that offer. Would love to learn more about that area. I have been looking join OC 49'ers for a while.

So Coffee you do other types of prospecting prior and found nuggets before?

AZ, actually no. I have only been prospecting since January 24th of this year. I have found a couple of small pickers while drywashing, but nothing I would call a "nugget". This is actually my very first find of any decent size with any method. And what's funny is that even though I find gold just about every time I use my drywasher, I enjoy the detecting so much more. Go figure, huh? :wacko:

Archived