New Finds with Coiltek Blitz Searchcoil

• Admin

Hello All,

This weekend I managed to escape with some friends into the goldfields to test the new Coiltek 14-inch Blitz Mono Searchcoil. Over the course of 1 1/2 days we managed to sneak these nuggets out with the new Blitz searchcoil. I'm a firm believer that this coil is more stable and gets more depth over the previous models of the same size.

I have only tested this coil on the GPX5000 to date. I've used the Fine Gold, Special Extra & Enhance timings with it and they all worked well.

Thought you would enjoy.

Rob Allison

Very nice scores, "Dirty Nugget Rob" ... :D :D :D ... I'd like to hear reports on how it works with other GP's and even SD's ... Do you think it would enhance older machines' performance? ... WTG! ... Cheers, Unc

• Admin

Hey Uncle Ron,

That is a good question. I only have a SD2200v2 as a secondary PI unit right now. I might give it a whirl on it and see how it does. Hopefully maybe Doc or Trev can talk more about performance on other units. I know the ad says GPX5000 and Fine Gold timing.

I've sold about 4 of them so far, most of them I believe had GPX5000's.

Hope to hear more reports from others that might have them.

Rob Allison

Hey Rob,

Great to see you are having success with this new coil already. It sure goes to show that the more you get out the more you get!

Here are some pictures of some Aussie gold found with the new coil by independant operators.

All reports are proving to be positive of which we are very pleased for those who are/will be using them.

Nothing like hearing that people are having success!

Take care.

Trevor

post-218-0-96729700-1304995577_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-42478600-1304995606_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-84662800-1304995715_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-20691500-1304995739_thumb.jpg

Hey Trevor,

Can you please explain why it was "Specifically wound for the new GPX5000 detector"? And what that means? Wouldnt catering to all detectors be a savy business advantage? Or is it because most the dealers only sell the GPX 5000 models now? To be honest, I think the statement " Specifically wound for the new GPX5000 detector" is full of garbage, and a bunch of nonsence made up hype promoting the newest breed.. If it enhances the performance of a GPX , there is no reason it shouldnt enhance the performance of, say an SD or GP series. I guess since it dont work worth a damn on my 2200 I dont need it ... thanks anyway...

Hey Trevor,

Can you please explain why it was "Specifically wound for the new GPX5000 detector"? And what that means? Wouldnt catering to all detectors be a savy business advantage? Or is it because most the dealers only sell the GPX 5000 models now? To be honest, I think the statement " Specifically wound for the new GPX5000 detector" is full of garbage, and a bunch of nonsence made up hype promoting the newest breed.. If it enhances the performance of a GPX , there is no reason it shouldnt enhance the performance of, say an SD or GP series. I guess since it dont work worth a damn on my 2200 I dont need it ... thanks anyway...

Adam, I think you will find all the coils that work well with the GPX 5000 will work well with previous Minelab detectors. As time has gone by the Minelab PI's have become more and more refined especially in the timings department. In your case the SD2200 only has one timing which is the same as the Normal timing on the GPX 5000, whereas the GPX 5000 has eight timings which requires the coils to be very specific in their parameters. Getting coils to be this precise when doing mass production requires a lot of effort on the factories part, hence the recall not so long ago on the Minelab Commander 11" Monoloops. I think you will find the Blitz GoldStalker coil will work very well on your detector. :blush:

Hope this helps,

Jonathan Porter

Saying that the coil "Specifically wound for the new GPX5000 detector" implies that the coil was wound differently than that of previous models i.e. Goldstalker series. Well, I took apart a goldstalker series coil (when it was designed for the GPX4500) and found it to be "wound" the same way any other coil is wound except that it was done in a loose & shotty fashion.

Saying that the coil "Specifically wound for the new GPX5000 detector" implies that the coil was wound differently than that of previous models i.e. Goldstalker series.

Adam I would say with the wording of the advertising, the term "specifically wound" is in reference to the physical act of winding a coil not the specific way the coil is wound, in other words the "wound" description means "made" or "manufactured for".

The Blitz coil is wound with Litz wire which will/does provide better performance specifically for the "Smooth Class" of timings on a GPX machine, that is something I can vouch for. :blush:

Hope this helps,

JP

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate your comments.

Let me answer your queries to the best of my ability as you have asked many questions.

Can you please explain why it was "Specifically wound for the new GPX5000 detector"? And what that means?

As JP has mentioned, the new detectors have improved timings and the users have control over which they choose. The new GPX5000 has the 'fine gold' timing which improves response to the smaller targets and from discussions with others, and from our own testing, we have made the decision to utilise a different wire which seems to compliment the 'fine gold' setting. It means that we have wound the coil with Litz wire to help compliment this setting. NOTE: This does not mean that our standard wound GOLDSTALKER coil will not work on the GPX5000, they still work well - this coil, in the fine gold setting, seems to have the edge.

Wouldnt catering to all detectors be a savy business advantage?

Yes of course it does - we already do this with our entire range of coils. This coil is no different as it can still be used for all SD/GP machines. Having a coil which is more suited to one machine does not limit its use, but will compliment the experience for those who have the detector. Our DD PRO coils are wound with the intention to suit the SD/GP range of detectors and are not specifically wound for the GPX series, however they still can be used on the GPX series. As you can appreciate, we try to cater for the main market but do try to improve products where we see a need.

Or is it because most the dealers only sell the GPX 5000 models now?

yes you are right in a way - All dealers now only sell the 5000 so if they can sell a coil suited to the unit, it helps them get more turnover and helps the end user with a coil suited to their machine.

To be honest, I think the statement " Specifically wound for the new GPX5000 detector" is full of garbage, and a bunch of nonsence made up hype promoting the newest breed.. If it enhances the performance of a GPX , there is no reason it shouldnt enhance the performance of, say an SD or GP series. I guess since it dont work worth a damn on my 2200 I dont need it ... thanks anyway...

Thankyou for your honesty and we hope there is a coil which will suit your machine which you have success with.

Thanks for your comments and take care

Regards

Trevor.

Trevor, Have you also taken any steps to tighten up the insides of these goldstaker type coils. Myself and at least two other people I know, had them develop bad falsing when the wires became loose on the inside. I liked the coil when it worked, and wouldnt mind another one, but I need to know that it's going to last.

Thanks

I will let Trevor address the particulars of this question.

However, I can assure you that an extensive review of the production methodology was undertaken and areas of concern were addressed. Enhanced Quality Control was implemented, and several innovative design factors were implemented to insure the windings stay tight.

I think the most important thing to remember, is in instances when these issues occurred and the coil was within the Warranty period, they were replaced.

Doc

Trevor, Have you also taken any steps to tighten up the insides of these goldstaker type coils. Myself and at least two other people I know, had them develop bad falsing when the wires became loose on the inside. I liked the coil when it worked, and wouldnt mind another one, but I need to know that it's going to last.

Thanks

Hi Wes,

Yes, as Doc mentioned, we have implemented processes to reduce any chance of potential issues in that area. For the last 6 months these processes have proven to be successful.

I hope you do have a chance to use another Coiltek coil soon!

Regards,

Trev

I will let Trevor address the particulars of this question.

However, I can assure you that an extensive review of the production methodology was undertaken and areas of concern were addressed. Enhanced Quality Control was implemented, and several innovative design factors were implemented to insure the windings stay tight.

I think the most important thing to remember, is in instances when these issues occurred and the coil was within the Warranty period, they were replaced.

Doc

Hi DOC, I have been quite impressed with the performance of the Blitz coil in our extremely mineralised ground here in Clermont, this coil has been my saving grace this long wet summer as large coils are almost impossible to use due to the grass growth, so it was a real buzz to hit areas and score so many little bits using the Blitz coil and Fine Gold timings on my GPX 5000. High gold price and lot of little bits equals investment paid for in no time with a huge amount of fun factor added to make things complete. Little secret for some pretty amazing depth with this coil, pay particular attention to getting the coil as parallel to the ground as possible when ground balancing, see excerpt from upcoming GPX 5000 instructional DVD for more details.

JP

Blitz2.jpg

• Admin

Hey JP,

Looking forward to seeing your GPX5000 video in the near future. I'm impressed with the new Blitz searchcoil. I've used the Goldstalker Mono (standard version) enough to see differences between the two, expecially in depth.

GPX5000 sales are still going very well. This new Blitz searchcoil on the GPX5000 will make a great combo!

Wishing you much more "Blitz" success.

Rob Allison

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear that.

Hi Wes,

Yes, as Doc mentioned, we have implemented processes to reduce any chance of potential issues in that area. For the last 6 months these processes have proven to be successful.

I hope you do have a chance to use another Coiltek coil soon!

Regards,

Trev

Dear Adam,

Did you ever own a CB radio? Did you ever mount a CB radio on your car? Did you ever "TRIM" the antenna? Now TRIM can refer to physically cutting the antenna, or actually moving the antenna up or down in its mount to achieve optimum performance.

This is all done while having a standing wave meter mounted between your antenna and your CB radio.

The purpose is to eliminate STANDING WAVE and optimize the antenna for the radio channels. All frequencies require different lengths of antennas. UHF use little short antennas and I think it is very low VLF that that Illinois State Police used to have, and they used 102 inch whip antennas.

Anyway back to the CB radio. When you trim a CB antenna, you adjust the antenna for optimum performance. But because there are 40 channels you split the baby down the middle and you tune to channel 20. Some guys tune to channel 19 because that is the standby channel.

So does the CB still work on channel 1? Sure! Is it optimized for channel 1? Well no, if you wanted it optimized for channel 1, you should adjust the antenna for channel 1. But if you did that when you switched to channel 40 you would really be far away from the optimum trim. So by tuning to channel 19 or 20, while 1 isn't optimal, it is still perfectly within the tolerance of standing wave so it works fine.

OK so the same with a coil. There is the physical act of actually winding the coil, which the physical windings are going to pretty much look the same, it's wire wrapped around the core material. But when you can fine tune the windings so they are optimized to the Fine Gold timing of the GPX5000, or other timings, so it is within the tolerances for all of the timings. That involves measuring the inductance and microHenrys as you wind the coil to make sure you get the precise amount of wire to give you the appropriate inductance.

From Wikipedia "In physics, and electronics, the Henry (symbol H) is the SI unit of inductance. It is named after Joseph Henry (1797–1878), the American scientist who discovered electromagnetic induction independently of and at about the same time as Michael Faraday (1791–1867) in England. The magnetic permeability of the vacuum is 4π×10−7 H/m (henry per meter)."

If I remember correctly a Henry is abbreviate by an H, and a micro Henry is Hu.

When the coil is fine tuned, the inductance of the winding are optimized to the tolerance of timings of the GPX5000, it doesn't mean it won't work on other machines, it just means that it is optimized to make sure it works with these new timings.

The history of advancement in the technology of Minelab machines is always given a nod and a smile and I don't think people fully realize just how important these advancements are to the performance of these machines and the fact that this is what makes Minelab #1.

First we had the SD2100 and SD2200. This had a channel 1 and a channel 2. One was for deep big nuggets, and the other for shallow small nuggets. However, the SD's were not really very good at finding sub gram pieces. But basically these machines were using two different timings a SLOW pulse which was good for deep nugget, and a fast pulse good for little shallow nuggets.

Minelab soon realized that too much power was entering the ground and over saturating the ground with a magnetic field that was so strong that the machine could not measure the decay rate of small nuggets very effectively because they were so super charged with energy. So along came the line of GP machines and DUAL VOLTAGE TECHNOLOGY.

Minelab knew that if they could alternate pulses with a full blast of voltage, and then a pulse of reduced voltage, they would stop the over saturation problem. Well it worked because all of a sudden people realized that they were finding smaller nuggets than they had ever found before.

Now comes along the GPX machines. And Minelab has given us not only dual voltage, they have given us different timings that optimize the machine for different conditions. Those timings refer to how fast the pulse goes into the ground and the duration of the pulse, and the voltage at which that pulse is generated. We already know that a long slow pulse is good for deep gold, and a short fast pulse is good for shallow gold, so now we have a variety of timings to work with. All Coiltek has done is make sure the inductance of the windings are "TRIMMED" to work optimally within these new timings.

Now I know we have some real electronic GURUS here that can explain all of this much better than I and also correct anything that I might not completely understand. But this is sort of a long layman's answer to your question.

I think sometimes in the interest of advertising verbage we have a tendency to talk about a feature of a product without explaining how this feature works in order to provide a tangible benefit to the user.

Saying a new car has a new HYDRO CHARGED TRIAX transmission is a FEATURE, saying that The new Hyrdo Charged Triax transmission utilizes water cooling to reduce friction improve performance and increase gas mileage by at least 20% are all BENEFITS.

As a consumer myself, you can talk to me all day long about FEATURES, but if you want to actually sell me the product or service you better tell me all the BENEFITS I will be enjoying if you expect me to part with my hard earned money.

Doc

PS As an after thought, this whole inductance issue of coils, and making sure the tolerances are correct. Have you ever had a coil that is really hot? I mean one that is just so sweet that you were in love with it? I had an old green Minelab 18 inch fiberglass coil, not the garbage can lid, but the one right after that. That was the hottest damn coil I ever owned, I found ounces and ounces of gold with that coil. And then I had it on my quad one day, carrying it as an extra and it fell off and I ran over it and ribbed th cord right out of it. I tried 5 more exact coils just like it, none of them were as hot as that coil. It was so sensitive, and so stable and it went so deep. Well apparently that coil I wrecked was just "SPOT ON" as far as the inductance. It was perfectly matched.

Due to imperfections in wire and winding you can only get these coils within tolerances. A little extra solder can change the microHenry. When I use a microHenry meter on a coil I have a range of values I look at, that tells me whether the coil is within the acceptable tolerances. If it is way out of whack I know something is wrong with the coil.

I am telling you this to inform you of yet another FREAKING AMAZING technology that Minelab has developed on the XTERRA machines.

The VFLEX Technology. YAWN! VLEX what the hell is that anyway? Well it is probably one of the most exciting technologies ever developed for coils. A lot of people will tell you, "Oh that just refers to the technology where Minelab has put a chip in the coil to make the machine work at various frequencies. They have a 3 kHz coil a 7.5 kHz coil and a 18.75 kHz coil."

Yes, that is correct, but what is exciting is what else this chip in the coil does, it corrects minor imperfections in the inductance in the coil. So no matter how it is wound, as long as it is within tolerance, the little board/chip, takes the coil and corrects the inductance so each and every coil gives precise consistent performance. So there is no such thing as getting a good coil or a mediocre coil, all of the coils with this technology are GREAT coils.

I predict this will be the wave of the future. Someday all coils will have this technology that will use a chip to correct for minor inconsistencies in windings and manufacturing. They will all be corrected electronically and deliver superior performance. Of course right now, Minelab has locked up this technology with a patent. But this is truly state of the art cutting edge stuff.

Saying that the coil "Specifically wound for the new GPX5000 detector" implies that the coil was wound differently than that of previous models i.e. Goldstalker series. Well, I took apart a goldstalker series coil (when it was designed for the GPX4500) and found it to be "wound" the same way any other coil is wound except that it was done in a loose & shotty fashion.

Doc, thank you for explaining the somewhat exasperating advertising verbage on coils and detectors!

Also thanks for the pearl of wisdom concerning the SD's power. As an SD2200v2 owner this is very helpful to me in trying to seperate the actual from the misperception as I learn about my new hobby and my detector.

New Beeper

Guys,

As an after thought, this whole inductance issue of coils, and making sure the tolerances are correct. Have you ever had a coil that is really hot? I mean one that is just so sweet that you were in love with it? I had an old green Minelab 18 inch fiberglass coil, not the garbage can lid, but the one right after that. That was the hottest damn coil I ever owned, I found ounces and ounces of gold with that coil. And then I had it on my quad one day, carrying it as an extra and it fell off and I ran over it and ribbed th cord right out of it. I tried 5 more exact coils just like it, none of them were as hot as that coil. It was so sensitive, and so stable and it went so deep. Well apparently that coil I wrecked was just "SPOT ON" as far as the inductance. It was perfectly matched.

Due to imperfections in wire and winding you can only get these coils within tolerances. A little extra solder can change the microHenry. When I use a microHenry meter on a coil I have a range of values I look at, that tells me whether the coil is within the acceptable tolerances. If it is way out of whack I know something is wrong with the coil.

I am telling you this to inform you of yet another FREAKING AMAZING technology that Minelab has developed on the XTERRA machines.

The VFLEX Technology. YAWN! VLEX what the hell is that anyway? Well it is probably one of the most exciting technologies ever developed for coils. A lot of people will tell you, "Oh that just refers to the technology where Minelab has put a chip in the coil to make the machine work at various frequencies. They have a 3 kHz coil a 7.5 kHz coil and a 18.75 kHz coil."

Yes, that is correct, but what is exciting is what else this chip in the coil does, it corrects minor imperfections in the inductance in the coil. So no matter how it is wound, as long as it is within tolerance, the little board/chip, takes the coil and corrects the inductance so each and every coil gives precise consistent performance. So there is no such thing as getting a good coil or a mediocre coil, all of the coils with this technology are GREAT coils.

I predict this will be the wave of the future. Someday all coils will have this technology that will use a chip to correct for minor inconsistencies in windings and manufacturing. They will all be corrected electronically and deliver superior performance. Of course right now, Minelab has locked up this technology with a patent. But this is truly state of the art cutting edge stuff.

Doc

Dear Adam,

First we had the SD2100 and SD2200. This had a channel 1 and a channel 2. One was for deep big nuggets, and the other for shallow small nuggets. However, the SD's were not really very good at finding sub gram pieces.

Glad my SD2200 doesent believe that bull-butter

Heres a winters worth of sub grammers found with an out dated SD2200V2 detector.. Not to mention the multi grammers found with it as well...

How about that Pearl Of Wisdom New Beeper

What size coil were you using? SD2200 is a great machine, I still have mine, it is 17 years old I think.

Doc

Glad my SD2200 doesent believe that bull-butter

Heres a winters worth of sub grammers found with an out dated POS detector..

Archived