ATSE Clunies-Ross award

Thought this might interest my American friends and fellow Minelab detector users. B)

I sat down the other day and tallied up the amount of years I’ve been associated with Minelab Electronics and Bruce Candy, it’s now over 15 years! Good grief where has all the time gone? Last year I was asked to provide a referees report on the impact Bruce Candy has had on my life and the industry in which I work, this report was part of a submission to the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering or ATSE as it is fondly known. The ATSE Clunies-Ross Awards is named after Sir Ian Clunies-Ross CMG who was a visionary leader of Australia’s scientific community back in the 1950’s.Link to more info on Sir Ian Clunies-Ross

ATSE3.jpgATSEClunies2.jpg

To be the recipient of such an award is a huge honour and goes to show just how incredible Bruce Candy is in his field, especially when observed alongside his peers. I was incredibly humbled when I was forwarded an invitation to attend the Gala event held in Queensland at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre last Thursday evening the 19th of May, which was attended by the Governor-General of Australia, Ms Quentin Bryce AC, Sir Ian Clunies-Ross son Major General Adrian Clunies-Ross AO MBE and 400 guests. Sitting in Bruce’s presence alongside the General Manager of Minelab Electronics, Peter Charlesworth, and the head of Product Development, Tony Stevens, I was filled with pride as Bruce received his award.

Being personally part of an incredible story such as the one Minelab represents has been fulfilling in itself, to actually be there as Bruce was publicly acknowledged for his hard work was the pinnacle of my career as a professional prospector. To then have Bruce make each of us stand up in turn and be counted by all the guests present especially when he referred to me as a ‘Larrikin Prospector’ made the evening even more special to me, even if I did look like an overstuffed penguin in a dinner suit! :blush::girl:

Bruce gave a very interesting speech were he quoted some pretty amazing figures about Minelab Electronics. Last financial year, Minelab turned over in excess of $100 000 000, of which 90% of all product made was exported overseas, not bad for a little Aussie company with very humble beginnings, especially in light of the Global Financial Crisis! I look forward to even better things from Minelab and more particularly Bruce Candy in the years to come.

Jonathan Porter

DSC03921.jpg

Announcement3.jpg

Hearty congratulations to Minelab, Bruce Candy and to you JP.

You have been the kind of ambassador a company like Minelab could only dream of.

The same is true with the way you have shared your hard-won knowledge with so many prospectors,

a true gift to us all.

I wholeheartedly salute your efforts.

Flak

• Admin

Hey JP,

That is awesome! Congrats to Mr. Bruce Candy.

What I can tell you is Minelab probably wouldn't be where they are right now without the guy. I have to give a lot of credit to all the Minelab engineers and staff, but a huge portion has to go to Bruce Candy and what he has done. It's always mind-boggling to think about what is next for Minelab?

Thanks for posting.

Rob Allison

I was thinking the same thing. That is a fantastic achievement for Bruce Candy. The next great achievement award goes to whomever got JP to where a suit. You look pretty damn good Jonathan, you clean up real good for an old dirt kicker.

Doc

You're looking very sharp there JP - thanks for the post and thanks for your continued contributions to the international prospecting community... CHEERS

Archived