All done in Greaterville

Well it looks like I won't have to be getting up before the birds for awhile to go dig a little gold. They have closed Greaterville until they feel the weather is a little more to their liking. They said the chance of fire is to high. The wife is happy. Now the long honey-do list comes out. Happy hunting.

• Admin

Hey Al,

Sorry to hear they shut it down. It's a great place to hunt during the Summer months to get away from the lower desert heat. That being said, if the grass is too high, it's a pain in the butt to hunt down there.

Keep us updated.

Rob Allison

All my patches are closed right now, guess ill have to head to bisbee or some other hot a$$ place on stinkin blm land. Im so upset right now i was into some realy good virgin ground and getting nice nugs every day :( Greaterville ill miss you :wub: untill the rains ...Justin

• 1 month later...

I can't believe that you guys are bitching. You just had the worst fires in Arizona history. They don't want someone going in and accidentally starting another fire. It could be your house that burns to the ground in the next big fire. You might be very careful, but there are a lot of idiots out there. We have had fires start around Reno from someone shooting.

Goldbug Ron

I can't believe that you guys are bitching. You just had the worst fires in Arizona history. They don't want someone going in and accidentally starting another fire. It could be your house that burns to the ground in the next big fire. You might be very careful, but there are a lot of idiots out there. We have had fires start around Reno from someone shooting.

Goldbug Ron

Yea I'm bitching, I'm bitching because Arizona is MY HOUSE. I'm a native son, I was born in Cochise County. I love this state and the people who lost homes in the fires I consider neighbors. Local news if flooded with images of the loss, of families displaced and homes gone. I have family that was on pre-evacuation orders and friends and customers who were. Some of the guys here showing disappointment may have come damm close to losing their homes. You pointing out the blatantly obvious is insulting to anyone with half a wit. If there is any bitching it's about the drought and the fires and the damage done to our state and neighbors. It's about the real possibility the Monument Fire was started by drug runners. If you live in Arizona and aren't in a coma you should be bitching!

But the rain has been falling and the forest will reopen soon (Catalina's already are)....so I'm still tapping my foot.

Goldbug Ron

Hey Ron

Not that it matters to me, but the fire danger is high every year and all over the state, so why is it closed this year. Beside that whole area was hit with rain twice in the last week. If you ask me it's just a reason to close that area. There is more of a chance that a fire would start off the highway. How many years have people been going in there without a fire. I don't know but many say it's good for the land to burn. I know place I've seen burn things grown much better. Maybe there is a reason we have lighting.

Lightning could just as easily start a fire around there. We can't smoke, shoot, have fires already. There is no reason to close it.

I think they should have closed it sooner this year, maybe that would have stopped the Wallow Fire.. :wacko:

Archived