Virgin Strike

Is it possible to find an undiscovered run of gold?   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Is a "VIRGIN STRIKE" possilbe in the lower 48?

• NO - every patch of ground as been covered and all golding bearing areas are known.
    • Yes - some areas that can produce gold are still "undiscovered"

It's been a about two months now but I got my father to go out digging with me one weekend. We had a great time. His observation was this "It doesn't matter where you go in this state, some guy sat down, took a crap, drank a beer and shot his gun, all that's left now is the beer can and the bullet casing" :lol::lol:

Over the rest of the weekend we found many more beer cans, bullets and other junk to prove his theory correct.

I told him the area had so much trash because of the gold. The gold brought people to the area and the people brought the trash. However he believes every inch of the lower 48 has been covered by a prospector. We may be able to find some left overs but there will never be another "VIRGIN STRIKE". That is to say there is no wash, aurora or area really with a payable amount of gold that has gone undiscovered. Do you agree?

It's been a about two months now but I got my father to go out digging with me one weekend. We had a great time. His observation was this "It doesn't matter where you go in this state, some guy sat down, took a crap, drank a beer and shot his gun, all that's left now is the beer can and the bullet casing" :lol::lol:

Over the rest of the weekend we found many more beer cans, bullets and other junk to prove his theory correct.

I told him the area had so much trash because of the gold. The gold brought people to the area and the people brought the trash. However he believes every inch of the lower 48 has been covered by a prospector. We may be able to find some left overs but there will never be another "VIRGIN STRIKE". That is to say there is no wash, aurora or area really with a payable amount of gold that has gone undiscovered. Do you agree?

It's funny. I have been in places - not just in Arizona, but other countries - where I would have bet a month's pay not another living soul had walked, just to find a Budweiser can around the next bend in the trail! But one thing IS certain - Nobody has walked it all, and erosion and time exposes new areas all the time! Every gold prospector BELIEVES they can find a new streak. Well, this one does anyway! :D

It's funny. I have been in places - not just in Arizona, but other countries - where I would have bet a month's pay not another living soul had walked, just to find a Budweiser can around the next bend in the trail! But one thing IS certain - Nobody has walked it all, and erosion and time exposes new areas all the time! Every gold prospector BELIEVES they can find a new streak. Well, this one does anyway! :D

I have to agree with you Terry.

Thats what keeps us going :)

I find bud light cans in the most remote places.

Why cant people just take a small trash bag and not pitch them?

Heck, at 4 cents a piece for scrap....thier worth picking up :)

Or maybe people are dropping them out of airplanes!

Tom

• Admin

Hello AZOverland,

If I could only count how many virgin spots I have found over the years .... well I can't honestly count them. Many of these virgin areas only produced a couple ounces of gold, but were unworked, or hardly worked by the old-timers. I know several years ago a couple of partners and myself opened up an entire range that wasn't even documented in the books. We took many ounces of gold, probably a couple of pounds worth over a season of hunting this range.

I honestly believe there are some huge strikes to be make by metal detectorists, but they might not be where most of the text books spots say they should. Without a doubt there are some good ones left, and thousands of smaller ones, but they are not easy to find.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

I agree with the rest--there are strikes to be had--the tough part is locating them

and digging up your finds--remember the old timers did not have the equipment we have

and could not afford to sit in a lean strike as this was their only means of income, so

pockets that may only yield 10 ounces were passed up for richer ground--keep after

it. Good Luck :)

Hey Jason , ive found numerous virgin creeks that had no previous work and were undocumented. I also have never found a creek that wasnt loaded with trash. Keep at it and soon you will find youre own virgin spot , think outside the box :D

Hey Jason , ive found numerous virgin creeks that had no previous work and were undocumented. I also have never found a creek that wasnt loaded with trash. Keep at it and soon you will find youre own virgin spot , think outside the box :D

Justin - good to hear from you. How's the family doing? You must have been really impacted by both fires. Hope all is ok with you brother.... Wasn't your Grandpa in Alpine? How is look up there?

Hey bud, yes we have been very impacted by both fires but in all the kaos our houses still stand. yesterday was the first time ive been on the computer in almost two months and i went from detecting 30 hours a week to not at all for the last couple of months :wacko::( . The family is doing great and im realy chompin at the bit to do some detecting , i was into a super sweet spot right before the forest closed (couple oz a week) and am just now getting moved back into my home :girl: hope all is well with everyone.......Justin

Hey bud, yes we have been very impacted by both fires but in all the kaos our houses still stand. yesterday was the first time ive been on the computer in almost two months and i went from detecting 30 hours a week to not at all for the last couple of months :wacko::( . The family is doing great and im realy chompin at the bit to do some detecting , i was into a super sweet spot right before the forest closed (couple oz a week) and am just now getting moved back into my home :girl: hope all is well with everyone.......Justin

Wishing you all the best - hope to see you in the feild soon - should reopen on the 18th I've heard.....

Archived