Recommend a Drywasher

I have had both and I highly recommend the 151 over the 140. The 140 works great as a vac, but when using it as a blower it does not have much force when attached to the bucket...even with the plug pulled out. Also, the blower unit has a tendency to fall over when sit on the ground. The hard plastic hose attachment can be cumbersome at times as well.

The 151 worked absolutely awesome for me and the new Honda motor truly starts on the first pull every time when you follow the starting procedures correctly. It does move a lot of dirt as well. The hot air and the nylon tray attached to the bottom of the classifier truly does allow the unit to catch very small gold. Another plus with the 151 is the fact that it takes straight gasoline instead of the Gas/Oil mixture. The optional tachometer for the 151 also allows you to keep notes on the best RPM range for specific soil conditions.

The only downfall I have found which affects both units is the push button release used in the square tubing on the legs. It allows for dust and dirt to get in between the 2 legs when assembled, and when you go to take the unit down, it causes the 2 tubes to lock together and makes it difficult to get them apart. I found if you turn the unit upside down first and tap on the legs with a small stick, it will dislodge the dirt and makes the take down much easier. The relatively small price difference between the two makes the decision easier (at least it did for me) to go the way of the 151.

Hope this helps.

So it's best to have a 151 and a gas vac....tall order.

The gas vac, I found, was really not a necessity. If the vac is important to you then you will just have to accept the loss of the perks that come with the 151. It is really a matter of preference.

So it's best to have a 151 and a gas vac....tall order.

Jason:

You can make a gas vac very cheap.

Find a old gas leaf blower and adapt it to a 5 gallon bucket or old shop vac bottom.

I made mine for 25 bucks.

You DO want to have a vac if your going to drywash.

There will be a lot of gold left on the bedrock if you dont.

I can send some pics of mine if you want.

Tom H.

Hello,

If your heart is set on a blower of one sort of another, that is what you should buy.

Having said that, I looked at all the pluses, and minus of the blowers, and took a very long look at the puffers, which are powered either by hand, or by electric battery powered 12v. motor. Puffers run less volume but they are lighter, very quiet (stealthy), and kinda addictive, since I could like the sound a quiet motor versus a scream of a blower, any day. Just my 2 cents.

Add to that, you can't feed those big blowers by yourself, what they are capable of processing, unless you have a bunch of guys that like to dig dirt along with you, then you have to split the take amongst all those helping... Lots of stuff to consider before throwing a wad of cash out for a machine.

I would take a long look at one of Frank C.'s puffers. He can be found on most of the gold prospecting websites, plus the link to his own website. Take a look. He makes them himself, does a super job of it, and they are extremely affordable portables... They don't weigh much and you don't have to have to carry fuel, nor a heavy blower. Just stuff to consider.

I don't even know the guy, but I do know when a guy puts a good product together, the word gets out and gets peoples attention, that is how I learned about him and his puffers...

Bottom line, whatever you decide, have FUN with it!

Best of luck!

Gary

Jason:

You can make a gas vac very cheap.

Find a old gas leaf blower and adapt it to a 5 gallon bucket or old shop vac bottom.

I made mine for 25 bucks.

You DO want to have a vac if your going to drywash.

There will be a lot of gold left on the bedrock if you dont.

I can send some pics of mine if you want.

Tom H.

Shoot im interested... Id like to see..

Jason if you would like you can try my 151, but if i was getting a smaller one try the thompson blower type. also got a sweet vack better than the 5 gallon type that we can make in under an hour B)

Jason if you would like you can try my 151, but if i was getting a smaller one try the thompson blower type. also got a sweet vack better than the 5 gallon type that we can make in under an hour B)

Sweet - that's a heck of an offer. If your cool with that I'd love to. Just try it out for a weekend. Thanks for all the input guys, good info and really appreciate it.

Justin we should meet up in GV again sometime. Give me a heads up and I'll take a day or two off work.

No problem , ill be at rich hill all week camping starting monday ending thursday. gimme a call sunday night and we will get something in the works :)

Gold Exorcist that thing is junk. The one i got would not hardly work at all was only recovering about 30-40% after 2 passes. Sent it back and they gave me a new one this one was better would recover around 50% after two passes. I did just as the guy said and screened it even had the same blower Only wasted a month or two on that project they did give me a full refund. Just get a 151 if your really going to be a drywasher. Have someone show you how it works. When i say someone i mean a person who has found atleast 6 oz drywashing otherwise good buy gold.

Looking to add a drywasher to the prospecting stuff. I like the Keene 140 with the blower/vac combo but the 151 can prcess more dirt. What do you guys think?

151 with mods....

Hello,

If your heart is set on a blower of one sort of another, that is what you should buy.

Having said that, I looked at all the pluses, and minus of the blowers, and took a very long look at the puffers, which are powered either by hand, or by electric battery powered 12v. motor. Puffers run less volume but they are lighter, very quiet (stealthy), and kinda addictive, since I could like the sound a quiet motor versus a scream of a blower, any day. Just my 2 cents.

Add to that, you can't feed those big blowers by yourself, what they are capable of processing, unless you have a bunch of guys that like to dig dirt along with you, then you have to split the take amongst all those helping... Lots of stuff to consider before throwing a wad of cash out for a machine.

I would take a long look at one of Frank C.'s puffers. He can be found on most of the gold prospecting websites, plus the link to his own website. Take a look. He makes them himself, does a super job of it, and they are extremely affordable portables... They don't weigh much and you don't have to have to carry fuel, nor a heavy blower. Just stuff to consider.

I don't even know the guy, but I do know when a guy puts a good product together, the word gets out and gets peoples attention, that is how I learned about him and his puffers...

Bottom line, whatever you decide, have FUN with it!

Best of luck!

Gary

I didnt believe it until i saw it, but i know a man in NV.. who can keep up with his 151 all by himself,,,he is downright smooooooth when he operates..the trick is to have the material there before you fire it up....

paul

Ask Border Boy he dry washes all the time right there next to you..

Sorry i didnt see your dialogue up top there BB and AZ.....yeah i have seen both BB's homeade vac .......and his drywasher,,,nice,,,he is set.

Man i wish i could be in AZ at the hill this week!

Archived