Question about Minelab inverted signal

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with a similar situation. While out hunting with the Minelab gpx5000 detector, I hit a faint target, but the sound had an inverted signal in thick clay. I dug a huge hole, approx 3-4 feet down in thick clay, and the signal is pretty loud now, but still an inverted signal. It took me a good half day to dig, and I gave up until I can get a large shovel , and large pick in there, as this thick clay is hard to dig out. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience in clay, and was it gold, or ? Thanks for any info.

Dave

• Admin

Hello Dave,

Have you determined if the target was a real metallic target, or just mineralized noise? I have dug faint targets and realized it was just extremely mineralized bedrock or clay.

Did you happen to ground balance over any of the material you dug out and then pass back down into the hole?

Would like to hear more,

Rob Allison

Dave, could be some hot ground? Try Ground Balancing right on the target. Bring DD Coil, next time out there and put it in Cancel. You may have dug past your target and it is in the side wall of the hole? You won't be able to sleep until you figure it out...sleep tight...lol

LuckyLundy

once you get around an oz or so and the gold isnt swiss cheese (solid slug form) the high lows turn into low highs, i used to think all gold made the hello sound untill i found my first slug sometimes passing up many low high. I went back to as many digs that i could and a few of those deep junk targets ended up being solid stream polished slugs :o like Lucky said sleep tight ;)

Thanks for all your responses it is hard getting sleep after this. I did ground balance the detector on the clay and the signal is still there. It is getting louder as I get deeper and it is in a remote gold region. I have never recieved an inverted signal on gold before so I wanted to check with you all to see if anyone has. I will keep u posted on what it is but will not get back there for 2 Weeks. Also the clay is a greyish color on the side of a hill in a dry stream bed.

Thanks

Dave

• Admin

Hey Dave,

I would guess that the target is blowing your ears if you have dug down 3-4 foot. If the target is not, I would almost say it's mineralization. Some of my biggest nuggets, getting close to a pound in weight were at 2-3 foot and blew my ears off at around a foot down. Once I got down about 2 foot I couldn't even tell where the target was, just too loud and sounded everywhere.

To be down 3-4 foot, I would hope you're getting the same response.

My fingers are crossed it's a huge nugget or specimen, not mineralization or some other type of non-precious metal.

Keep us updated.

Rob Allison

Dave:

This is just a thought.....try a VLF in the hole. My dad has cleared up some targets for me this way with a less "sensitive" machine. Hes helped me pinpoint with it quite a bit also.

Tom H.

Make sure you test your pile of dirt as someone has suggested. If it sounds the same you have a hot batch of ground. Balancing in the hole as someone also suggested is a good idea. You WILL NOT balance out a big nugget but you can balance a hot patch of mineralization.

If you are getting a significantly louder target sound in the hole, that means you have something metallic in there. Also you may try to wave the coil over the hole. Usually putting air between the coil and mineralization can negate any signal, while you can still hear a metallic object, almost like an air test.

Hope it's big and 24 K.

Doc

yes had many similar instances - and if it is not mineralization, make sure you knock out all of the walls of the hole, no sharp edges

make sure you can swing the coil to some degree, rather place the coil in the hole.

if you've knocked out all the edges, and there is no defined signal, it's likely mineralization

or as Lucky Lundy said - you might have gone past it, bring the DD coil and put in cancel

Archived