Sum nugz

Finally got out! All the crap that piles up during the dreding season, work, and some remodeling have really gotten me off to a late start detecting this season. Finally got out to my claim to see what the water has done, well all kinds of new bedrock and tons of new targets to detect. Managed to pull a few from the trash! With all the quality finds on here lately I've been itching to get out.

post-29399-0-02786900-1348715046_thumb.j

Coughs..... :)

Man, that is fantastic that you got those nuggets.

Dern cool!

Im happy for ya to be able to get out after a long spell and hit it that good.

TKs for posting.....now I got to get out! :)

Lemme see....im guessing 14 grams?

Tom H.

Matt, thanks and hope you get out soon and good luck!

Tom, well these nugz were carefully planed. I have been working this very productive patch for years, its about a mile long with some real hot spots. last year i was down to excavating a couple feet of overburden to get at the gold, I did some creative rock stacking in a few places so I could put the monsoons to work for me!! The canyon is pretty steep and really gets going, with a good monsoon and a good idea of where the paystreak lays it should be good! Good luck to you and Dad!!

Kelly, man sorry i couldnt make it to the other patchthis week, any luck yet? Tell you what if these storms coming are any good we can meet in Arivaca I have a great spot to put my 5" dredge into that pays up there. That is, if it pours good! I would love to see ya in the water.

Thanks guys,

Justin

Justin:

Hey man...you gonna gimme a gram/weight? :)

Dying to see if I got it or not :)

Tks for the heads up on building dikes in flood areas.Dam.......get it "dam" good Idea!

Think I will do that when I go up to my favorite spot now.

Good luck to you............hope you get some reeeeally nice yellow out

of your spots.

Tom H.

Tom, you were pretty close 12.9 grams! Just enough to get some beer and gas for the next few trips. Dam i think youre right :P already diggin might as well stack some rocks in the right direction as youre doing it!

Way too cool, hey bud there not realy nugget traps more of a diversion so the water can take off alott of overburden. good luck out there!

Steve, thanks. hope everything is well.

Rick, there is so much trash in there I am sure there will be pleanty of ground to work for years ha! Man I cant wait to get back up to youre neck, I dream about that place every day and since i have been home i have been realizing the potential for detecting those side gullies and gravel bars along the bedrock. I think next season will be super productive and cant wait to hunt with you and Robin this winter.

Desert nuggets, thanks bro I pulled in 20k off this claim last year and broke my back doing it.

Thanks all,

Justin

Tom, you were pretty close 12.9 grams! Just enough to get some beer and gas for the next few trips. Dam i think youre right :P already diggin might as well stack some rocks in the right direction as youre doing it!

Way too cool, hey bud there not realy nugget traps more of a diversion so the water can take off alott of overburden. good luck out there!

Steve, thanks. hope everything is well.

Rick, there is so much trash in there I am sure there will be pleanty of ground to work for years ha! Man I cant wait to get back up to youre neck, I dream about that place every day and since i have been home i have been realizing the potential for detecting those side gullies and gravel bars along the bedrock. I think next season will be super productive and cant wait to hunt with you and Robin this winter.

Desert nuggets, thanks bro I pulled in 20k off this claim last year and broke my back doing it.

Thanks all,

Justin

Dang it..got to scale back the nugget metter some .....Humph.. :)

Still so...its sweet you got over em and got em im you pocket :)

Do apreceate the heads up on diking streams.

Geet out there and get some more!

Tom H.

I was out hunting nugs 3 weeks back found a nice lil onepost-23376-0-16939000-1349297626_thumb.jpg later we were sitting inside the trailer and I saw this Grizzly bear coming into camp was around 18 feet from the trailer with the light plant running post-23376-0-05104100-1349297813_thumb.jpg then a little closerpost-23376-0-30645800-1349297899_thumb.jpg

he heard the camera click and lookedpost-23376-0-28102500-1349297999_thumb.jpg not the least afraid at all so I popped a bear banger off didn't scare him a bit just wandered over to the next campsight sat on his behind and

looked at us. Down the beach a half mile he showed at some other campers place they tried to chase him off with a razor he just stood up and looked at them they also shot the shotgun off cloce to him to no avail they freaked and moved out of there..

So I thought I would get some bear deterent to pack with me a 460 Smith&Wesson magnumpost-23376-0-58108900-1349298440_thumb.jpg ...........post-23376-0-95957500-1349298501_thumb.jpg

The small shell is a 357 Magnum the other is the 460S&W

The nugget was 2.7 grams

Keep a cool tool

Rodd

Its a bummer when the bear stops to read the sign LOL

I was out hunting nugs 3 weeks back found a nice lil onepost-23376-0-16939000-1349297626_thumb.jpg later we were sitting inside the trailer and I saw this Grizzly bear coming into camp was around 18 feet from the trailer with the light plant running post-23376-0-05104100-1349297813_thumb.jpg then a little closerpost-23376-0-30645800-1349297899_thumb.jpg

he heard the camera click and lookedpost-23376-0-28102500-1349297999_thumb.jpg not the least afraid at all so I popped a bear banger off didn't scare him a bit just wandered over to the next campsight sat on his behind and

looked at us. Down the beach a half mile he showed at some other campers place they tried to chase him off with a razor he just stood up and looked at them they also shot the shotgun off cloce to him to no avail they freaked and moved out of there..

So I thought I would get some bear deterent to pack with me a 460 Smith&Wesson magnumpost-23376-0-58108900-1349298440_thumb.jpg ...........post-23376-0-95957500-1349298501_thumb.jpg

The small shell is a 357 Magnum the other is the 460S&W

The nugget was 2.7 grams

Keep a cool tool

Rodd

Its a bummer when the bear stops to read the sign LOL

OK, I will never again complain about snakes here in Az!

ACK!!!...I wouldnt want to have that in the back of my mind while im detecting with headsets on.

Tom H.

• Admin

Hey Rodd,

Great story and pictures. I never ran into a Grizzly, but several big Black Bears in Alaska. Hey, I tried to threaten them with a Ruger 9mm with 30 rounds .... :unsure:

How much more powerful is that 460 over a .44 Mag? The last couple of season to Alaska I was packing the lightweight S&W .44 Mag.

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

OK, I will never again complain about snakes here in Az!

ACK!!!...I wouldnt want to have that in the back of my mind while im detecting with headsets on.

Tom H.

Tom

I bought myself a set of those electronic hearing protectors they amplify sound up to 8 times better

than you can hear with your naked ear but when the sound is louder than 85 decibels they turn off and work like regular

hearing protectors....that way I can shoot my cannon and not defen myself...and also hear the bears or nasty snakes.. I use a speaker on my shoulder works great

Tlater

Rodd

photo-thumb-2.jpg?_r=0

:unsure:

How much more powerful is that 460 over a .44 Mag? The last couple of season to Alaska I was packing the lightweight S&W .44 Mag.

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob

There is a lot of difference

The 44 Remington mag fires a 300 grain bullet at a velocity of 1,244 fps with 1,030 foot lbs energy

The 460 S&W mag fires a 300 grain bullet at a velocity of 1,905 fps with 2417 foot lbs energy so

that's a little more than double...

I think if I was buying another one I would get the 5" barrel "a lot more kick but mutch easier to

cary 3" shorter is mutch easier to cary and if you ever do have to shoot a bear it will probably be at close range.

Ha Ha if I ever have to shoot one I want to see the colour of his eyes then shoot a big hole in him drive my Razor

through and be on my way LOL.

This is how it figgures

bullet weight in grains X velocity squared

devided by 450400=foot lbs energy

example 150gr.bullet at 2700 fps

150 X 2700 squared

devided by 450400===2428 foot lbs of energy

Take care rob and how's your hand doing,good I hope

Rodd

• 2 weeks later...

44 MAGNUM VERSUS 460 S&W

Hi Rob

There is a lot of difference

The 44 Remington mag fires a 300 grain bullet at a velocity of 1,244 fps with 1,030 foot lbs energy

The 460 S&W mag fires a 300 grain bullet at a velocity of 1,905 fps with 2417 foot lbs energy so

that's a little more than double...

I think if I was buying another one I would get the 5" barrel "a lot more kick but mutch easier to

cary 3" shorter is mutch easier to cary and if you ever do have to shoot a bear it will probably be at close range.

Ha Ha if I ever have to shoot one I want to see the colour of his eyes then shoot a big hole in him drive my Razor

through and be on my way LOL.

This is how it figgures

bullet weight in grains X velocity squared

devided by 450400=foot lbs energy

example 150gr.bullet at 2700 fps

150 X 2700 squared

devided by 450400===2428 foot lbs of energy

Take care rob and how's your hand doing,good I hope

Rodd