Hello fellow detectorist,

Went out for some detecting with some friends today, great weather and good views. Good times had by all but for the most part we all got skunked on the gold except for one pan I did on arrival to confirm the gold in the creek, got one chunky flake and four fly poop sized pcs. I recently read Robs thread about the ten year old pics, great nugget he found in that one. So I was digging all targets today and not leaving any screamers laying around. Found the spike about 2 feet down, the wire at about a foot at the edge of the creek and hit a few smaller pcs of square nails and flat rusted sheet metal about half dime size in and around some tailings. The pc of brass was in my back pack from a previous trip but included it anyway. Sorry no pretty gold nuggets to show off yet.... still searching for my patch.

post-48829-0-70181600-1358673164_thumb.j post-48829-0-35649500-1358673194_thumb.j

post-48829-0-16220500-1358673183_thumb.j post-48829-0-30323600-1358673229_thumb.j

Here s most all my good stuff today...~~~

I left the big iron bolt next to the 2 foot hole on a rock for all to see...

I did get three big lead bullts out of one hole in a wash....i just knew the next thing i pulled was going to be a 1 ouncer!!!!!

The LittleJoey is deadly !!!!~~~~~on EVERYTHING!!!!

sorry about the size of the picture, but is all trash...

i am on a hilltop somewhere in the southwest using internet from my phone...time to go to bed now....lolol-----646pm

Gravelwasher just hang in there theres one out there just for you. just gotta get the coil over it , be religious about diggin all and as many targets as you can and it will happen. Then they will start rollin in ;)

Border Boy,

Thanks for the tips, I try an do exactly that dig up every target and cover as much ground as I can. Sometimes I get a bit discouraged as there is a target every three feet and I dont cover too much ground this way, but I try to turn it into a positive, tell myself if all this trash is here nobody else bothered to dig they may have missed the gold masked by all the trash. Its nice to get all the trash but come on I need some gold. I know I am hitting areas already hit and have confirmed with some people that have hit them and pulled some gold already, so that is encouraging!! I have mainly used a Wallaby coil trying to get deeper than the previous people who worked it with Joey coils and such, but may need to pick up a smaller 8" mono commander coil. All my coils include 11" stock and 17" Coiltek and a Wallaby, all picked up used and DD. Still dreaming big..Thanks for all the support, Jay

• Admin

Hey Gravelwasher,

You probably already know this, but looking at the pictures I notice water and looks like the wash has depth. Without a doubt, I'm sure if the wash or creek is in a gold bearing area there are some nuggets somewhere there. That being said, I would try to look for shallow areas and exposed bedrock areas and check them out first if possible. If you can find a nugget or two in the shallow spots or on bedrock, it could be worth detecting some the deeper spots that I seen in your pictures.

The reason I say this - 99% of the time you're going to dig iron rubbish from the washes, especially in the deeper sections. There could be deeper nuggets, maybe bigger, but if you never found a nugget in the wash, I focus on the shallow areas and exposed bedrock to prove nuggets are there. Also, in these spots, the iron rubbish will be shallow, making detecting more pleasant than digging 2-3 foot holes for pick heads, cans, horseshoes and other big iron trash.

Just my thoughts,