Goldscreamer battery noise

Just curious, but has anyone using the Goldscreamer experienced noise from the battery. On two occassions the GPX 5000 became extremely noisy, to noisy to detect for no apparent reason. The first time I replaced the battery with a spare and the noise cease entirely. I reused the noisy battery after recharging on other trips without a problem and again Sunday the same thing happen again. I replaced the battery and the noise disapperared. Has anyone else had this problem? What am I missing?

check all your connections and recheck them...finger tight...no pliers! I have found that a loose connection is often the problem...sometimes I get is a hurry and forget to tighten my coil, or other connections...sometimes one of the connectors has some junk on it...or the battery is not connected to the base sufficently...

check you power cord...even if it is short you could have some broke or loose wires...

fred

Also the battery in question, use a multimeter to check to + and - pin connections on the battery itself.

Check for proper voltage and wiggle to make sure the contact cups are mounted tight/rigid.

Inspect visually the pin contact cups that are mounted on the battery.

I have had in the past an experience where the contact cup on the battery itself became stuck to the "pin" on the charger and noticed it was missing from the battery when inserting the battery and not getting any contact/power to the detector.

Anyway check them to see if they are loose because that can also be a problem connection point.

Thanks for the suggestions. The noise I am experiencing is different than the cell phone interference which does sound like static. This is my second Gold Screamer, the first which has a multitude of hour in rough territory suffered two broken connections, one on the connection cord and the other, a broken wire on the battery connection. I repaired both and it works fine but I wanted a spare. The new unit has only a few hours on it so I can't find an issue there, the batteries likewise have few hours. I'll check the suggestions and report back.

I have also had a static popping noise from time to time. Always thought it was associated with my external independent Gold Screamer amp , but never really have figured it out. It doesent happen often enough for me to be to concerned with it. I like the cell phone idea though...could be it.....

• Admin

Hey Guys,

This weekend I was using my GPX 5000 Demo unit (much newer than my older unit) with the Goldscreamer. I noticed a noise that sounded like "puffing air," like shss.... shssshh ... shhess

I coudn't figure out what the heck was doing it. I started to get frusterated cause we were so far back in and I didn't have a backup unit. I noticed I had my Apple Iphone 5 on the same side as the control box, so I decided to shut it off. Low and behold the noise disappeared. I didn't have this issue with my older Minelab GPX 5000, used the same phone, but an older version of the Iphone.

Bottom line, shut the phone down or place on airplane mode like AJ mentioned.

I've never heard of any issues with noise on the Goldscreamers and have sold hundreds. Not saying it can't be the first, but I would make sure you don't have an cell phone, 2-way radio, GPS or anything else that is too close to the control box that could be interferring.

Keep us posted.

Rob Allison

I can identify three distinct noises, cell phone, Garrett pin pointer, and overhead air craft. All are easily correctable or last only a few seconds. The noise I am experiencing is different and totally disrupts detecting and generally ends the day. The last time out the first few hours were quiet and then the noise started again. I switched to a new unused battery without any change, switched Gold Screamers, no help. I did notice a couple things, on each occasion the wind was blowing fairly stiff from the southeast, wind from other directions do not create noise. The closest electrical transmission line is one half mile away, and nuclear power plant 14 miles away. Switching from Normal to Fine Gold eliminate most of the noise. Could the wind carry interference from the transmission line or power plant that far? Or do I have a problem with the detector or coil?