gold hunting

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garimpo and whats4dinner,

You guys seem to speak the same language...have had parallel experiences.

Has the travel to little-known places been for chasing gold? - sub-rosa military? - outrunning

the ex-wife?...

oh come on now, don't just say "wanderlust"...

Interesting and varied resume's

Boy I'll tell ya Flak, with your courisity, imagination and ability to read between the lines, you should be writing the book. ;):mellow:

Speaking only for myself to answer your question, just plain simple lust, work, lust, gold, lust, adventure. See what a bad writter I am, left out the "for" in between the words. Here's another "4", ex-wives. Not a good record. :blink:

Wander-lust

gold-lust

lust-lust

probably not a good predicter of solid marriage possibilities,

unless;

you get lucky, which I did.

My wife - for some mysterious reason - understands that,

no matter how commited in love with being a dad and husband you might be,

sometimes ya just have to get 'out there' and disappear every once in awhile.

Yes, I know how lucky I am...

I wish it for anyone who wants it.

Wander-lust

gold-lust

lust-lust

probably not a good predicter of solid marriage possibilities,

unless;

you get lucky, which I did.

My wife - for some mysterious reason - understands that,

no matter how commited in love with being a dad and husband you might be,

sometimes ya just have to get 'out there' and disappear every once in awhile.

Yes, I know how lucky I am...

I wish it for anyone who wants it.

You sure said it the right way Flak. The second time I was lucky, just didn't realize it until to late, now the 5th time I'm lucky again, going to try to keep this one. :D

Now Garimpo,

GoogleEarth, yes I have it...(they just made a version for Mac's..better late than never),

I am going to look up where you are and spy on you.

regards,

Hi Flak, glad you've got Goole Earth, it's sure fun to play with. If it would help here's the coordiantes for my house: S14°31.152', W049°08.395', have fun.

Just got back from the ranch today, two days of beautiful weather, no rain and got SKUNKED. :huh:

I buy gemstones fairly regularly on eBay from Thailand. I know that the shipping will be slow so I just expect it. The question on shipping things on eBay is not time, it is how much is it going to be? If what you are shipping cannot be had in the states, someone may bite even though shipping is higher. Of course, it helps to be competitive as possible with other similar items for sale on eBay. Nicer nuggets on eBay can go for well above spot price. So, if you offered spot, you would indeed be fairly competitive. It costs $5.00 to ship items under one pound to Brasil in a Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope, but I don't know how much it would be from Brazil to the US, and of course I also don't know how likely it is for the mail to be gone through by the local postal service. There is also a Brazil version of eBay at:

http://www.mercadolivre.com.br/home_visitor.html

But I would not advise using it without fluency in Portugeuse.

Regards,

RCB

I buy gemstones fairly regularly on eBay from Thailand. I know that the shipping will be slow so I just expect it. The question on shipping things on eBay is not time, it is how much is it going to be? If what you are shipping cannot be had in the states, someone may bite even though shipping is higher. Of course, it helps to be competitive as possible with other similar items for sale on eBay. Nicer nuggets on eBay can go for well above spot price. So, if you offered spot, you would indeed be fairly competitive. It costs $5.00 to ship items under one pound to Brasil in a Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope, but I don't know how much it would be from Brazil to the US, and of course I also don't know how likely it is for the mail to be gone through by the local postal service. There is also a Brazil version of eBay at:

http://www.mercadolivre.com.br/home_visitor.html

But I would not advise using it without fluency in Portuguese.

Regards,

RCB

rexb thanks for the info. I'll check it out with my wife's help of course. The only postal service that I personally use from the USA to Brazil is International Global Express, it takes normally 8 days to get here and it's damn expensive. From here to the US I use the Brazilian equivalent of over-night express called Sedex. It also takes 8 days to get there. I recently received a CD that was sent UPS International Expedited and it also got here in 8 days. So far I've not lost anything in the mail leaving here but I've had some new scoops ordered for about two months now and still haven't received them.

It costs $5.00 to ship items under one pound to Brasil in a Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope,

RCB

what? i thought global express priority flat rate was $10 and only to two cities- Sao Paulo and Rio.

I have traded with thailand too, australia, japan, sweden, peru, honduras, and prices out from those places are competitive with ours, sometimes cheaper. the problem, as both myself and Garimpo has pointed out, are thieves in the Correo (post office). Most places are honest enough, but this seems to be a problem in most of Latin America, and Indonesia. getting things in or out may require a passage through customs, us or foreign, and that can add months to delivery or release, and some customs agents also have sticky fingers abroad (or is it on a broad? I forget). The best thing, even the cartels will tel you this, is to get someone coming to the USA or safer postal soil, to bring it along with them, and drop it off at a secure drop, and then the transactions can be facilitated through a secure site, using secure mail.

before google earth, there was landsat. I had a photogaph of my house in Calama Chile (near Chiquicamata). the pic even showed my laundry hanging on the line, and the patio furniture. I had to get permission from the chilean government to obtain the photo (it's not that landsat didn't have it already, or that the cia needs permission, it's just that peon tourists could use it to blow up clotheslines or something). Google earth is great, provided you have a modern computer.

Mine is an archaic celeron 64 megahertz, but it works, and I still use dialup (I am a cheap bastard). not really, but as long as everything works, why bother buying and loading new crap. if you notice, decent software no longer comes with a new computer. you only get a 30 or 60 day trial version, and if you don't subscribe to DSL or cable modem, the upgrade download can take ages. Some computers (like Dell) don't even send backup cds with software and windows, in case you have a crash or a trojan attack. how cheap can you get? How much environment are you saving by withholding 3-8 plastic cds? like calculus. make a mistake and you can't even go back to square one, because that too has changed.

Hi rexb and whats4supper, just checked some of my invoices and in Aug. 05 I received two small items from the USA, 1.5lbs, Airmail/Priority, $17.00.

Basically I've never had any problem with International Global Express at the post office. So when I order something from there I just figure that by the time it gets here, the freight and 60% customs duty will double my cost. :huh:

Oh what the hell, the women are beautiful, the weather is warm, the beer cold and there's gold here. I try to suffer in silence as much as possible. :lol:

Merry Christmas!

Garimpo,

Be sure and come suffer with us this coming year.

Yours is a welcome and interesting point of view and I know we are all interested in following

your adventures.

Thankyou for your information and your sense of humor.

Have relaxing holidays and a bountiful New Year.

Thanks Flak, hope you've been a good boy. :P Remember, tonight's the night.

I'mfordinner,

You'll note I did provide for the possibility of sticky fingered natives since I was unsure of the local situation, "...and of course I also don't know how likely it is for the mail to be gone through by the local postal service".

• Admin

Hello Garimpo,

Very nice nugget. Don't worry, I only found one nugget this year at an ounce. I sure wish I was somewhere like you are. I'm sure there are a bunch of lunkers just waiting to be located. Most of the areas out West have really been pounded to death, so we spend a lot of time looking for overlooked, small placer deposits. Unfortunately I haven't found a real good one yet, but most of the ones we find produce some nugget gold.

I was going to head out today and do some beeping, but talked myself out of it. I guess I don't have the motivation to hunt gold like I did 10 years ago. Well, we were also finding no less than 1/4 - 1/2 ounce per day back then. Boy, those were the good old days with the first Minelab PI's and pretty easy to stay motivated when you're finding that kind of gold.

This year I found one good patch on a hillside that produced 47 nuggets for me. I also found a couple of virgin washes that produced 30-40 nuggets from each wash. This year I found the normal quanity of nuggets I normally find, but most of them being smaller than the previous years.

One of my best solid nuggets to date would be this 283 Gram Guy :D

283Gram.jpg

You're probably finding more of these over there then we are! :blink:

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Hello Garimpo,

Very nice nugget.  Don't worry, I only found one nugget this year at an ounce.  I sure wish I was somewhere like you are.  I'm sure there are a bunch of lunkers just waiting to be located.  Most of the areas out West have really been pounded to death, so we spend a lot of time looking for overlooked, small placer deposits. Unfortunately I haven't found a real good one yet, but most of the ones we find produce some nugget gold. 

I was going to head out today and do some beeping, but talked myself out of it.  I guess I don't have the motivation to hunt gold like I did 10 years ago.  Well, we were also finding no less than 1/4 - 1/2 ounce per day back then.  Boy, those were the good old days with the first Minelab PI's and pretty easy to stay motivated when you're finding that kind of gold. 

This year I found one good patch on a hillside that produced 47 nuggets for me.  I also found a couple of virgin washes that produced 30-40 nuggets from each wash.  This year I found the normal quanity of nuggets I normally find, but most of them being smaller than the previous years. 

One of my best solid nuggets to date would be this 283 Gram Guy  :D

283Gram.jpg

You're probably finding more of these over there then we are!  :blink:

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Damn Rob, talk about a beauty, now I have a goal to shoot for. He-He. Don't let FlakMagnet see that nugget or the EMT's will have to "paddle him". :o

KA-THUNK!!

(sound of paddles going off)

ya just had to go an do that didn't you Rob...

hell, I don't even have that weight in lead yet...

HA HA HA...I love this whole pursuit...

really...

Thanks Flak, that's the best laugh I've had in a while(KA-THUNK) and not that much lead yet is a goodie too. :D

Guess maybe I'm desperate for entertainment huh? :blink:

Actually neat ball cap, ugly nugget and I'm not one bit jealous either. ;)

Garimpo,

Just to be clear,

I've gotten ONLY lead/trash in my hunting sofar.

Got my butt kicked at the Dale yesterday, but how can I complain when I had two

newlyl met companions who were smart, funny, clear-eyed and generous?

I'm going out again as soon as I can

(tomorrow, Wednesday...get up at 4:30, creep out of the house - don't wake the kids or God forbid the cat,

coast the Explorer down the driveway... pre-rush-hour traffic flashing by into the darkness behind me, drive east toward the dawn making the horizon a pink outline - three hours later, ears buzzing from the off-road tire noise, head off into a dirt and sand road pointing at the dark outlines of the Montanyas Negris, for a day walking through the mystery called the Dale District.).

My enthusiasm remains undiminished.

(musta been the lobotomy awhile back)

Have you been following Whats4dinners thread "Dinks and crumbs within 100 miles of Vegas"?

See?

There's another person who aught to be authoring a book of his adventures.

(nag nag)

anyway,

so now you'll know, whenever you see KaTHUNK, you'll know what that means.

regards,

I certainly know how you feel Flak, being a coin hunter for 30 yrs. and now a gold beeper for 15 yrs.

I know your tired of hearing it but it's true, just hang in there.

Like the other day in the virgin area just beeping the open spaces and picking up .50 caliber mini balls and some small bird shot. Now and then a piece of aluminum that the cows shit out. :blink:

Last Wednesday was the last day I was there and was getting nothing, beginning to wonder if the GPX needed the paddles, was even hoping for some lead when the beeper screamed, first thought was another piece of lead or aluminum but I dig everything and sure nuff out came that beautiful piece that looks like Brazil, all 6.0 grams. :D Below!

BTW, I gave it to Tony and his mom for their Christmas present.

Was going back today but it looks like rain so stayed in the house, try again tomorrow.

Wishing you all the luck partner, I want to hear a very loud KaTHUNK.

post-719-1135712601_thumb.jpg

I certainly know how you feel Flak, being a coin hunter for 30 yrs. and now a gold beeper for 15 yrs.

I know your tired of hearing it but it's true, just hang in there.

Like the other day in the virgin area just beeping the open spaces and picking up .50 caliber mini balls and some small bird shot. Now and then a piece of aluminum that the cows shit out.  :blink:

Last Wednesday was the last day I was there and was getting nothing, beginning to wonder if the GPX needed the paddles, was even hoping for some lead when the beeper screamed, first thought was another piece of lead or aluminum but I dig everything and sure nuff out came that beautiful piece that looks like Brazil, all 6.0 grams.  :D  Below!

BTW, I gave it to Tony and his mom for their Christmas present.

Was going back today but it looks like rain so stayed in the house, try again tomorrow.

Wishing you all the luck partner, I want to hear a very loud KaTHUNK.

KATHUNK???????? :huh:

Hate to say it but back to the old grind, at least for some folks. :(

I really wanted to go bush today but the weather just won't cooperate. Need a snorkle that points down! <_<

Chow till later.