gold hunting

Hi folks, just want to say before I tromped on about running down the Hermit pick, that wasn't what I was doing.

I was leading up to a point and the Hermit pick just happen to be a very nice one for the illustration. The point I'm making is this: how do you sharpen your picks? Does Wal Mart do it or does Home Depot ?

Now I'll let you in on a long gone art. In it's heyday in the states it was called the "town blacksmith". That's where I have my picks made and sharpened about every three months.

First pic is in front of the owners house. That's the owner in the blue shirt.

post-719-1137545019.jpg

post-719-1137545288_thumb.jpg

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then it's put oFinally pop gets to make the part where the handle will fit. At this point it's almost finished, when he's done he'll lay it on the ground for a couple of hours to cool. Then he cuts a handle for it and the whole thing is done.

The entire process cost me $3.50

n the anvil and the process of beating it into shape starts.

post-719-1137545098_thumb.jpg

post-719-1137545560_thumb.jpg

Finally pop gets to make the part where the handle will fit. At this point it's almost finished, when he's done he'll lay it on the ground for a couple of hours to cool. Then he cuts a handle for it and the whole thing is done.

The entire process cost me $3.50

post-719-1137545486_thumb.jpg

Garimpo,

I was up there in the late 80's and early 90'S. At one point had the big dredge just below the bridge in town.

I used to have the Klamath Inn Motel, remember that? Also ran a shuttle service and tried to dredge all at the same time. Didnt work too well, worked my ass off.

Was you there when some of the guys took their big dredge a few miles below town and droped it over the cliffs [about 100' down] with this big ass wrecker. They took well over 100 oz's out of that hole.

I also had mine up at savage rapids, got into a good pay line up there. There was also some good stuff below the rapids. Always did well if I worked in the various rapids. Its tough as I wore 105 lbs of lead just to keep from getting knocked around too much. Ah, that was the good old days. Bob T.

Hey Bob, sure do have a lot of memories of Happy Camp and I think your hotel is where I stayed while I was there dredging.

At the end of every day me and another guy were the ones doing the clean up from Dave's dredge. Yes we were down stream from town and when the gold started getting good McCracken pulled everybody out. I heard later about him lowering the dredge down the cliff, I used to take supplies down that friggin cliff with one hand holding on to the rope.

The only time I've ever had a broken bone was there during the dredging. I broke my left wrist but didn't quit dredging, sure as hell hurt a lot.

The whole experience was fun but I wouldn't want to do it again under the same circumstances.

AZM, glad to see your back and doing ok. Cody sure looks like a keeper. I think him and my "little nugget" would get along really great.

Bill, it's tough when you find out later that you've been throwing away "goodies". At least your doing something about it, like learning what not to do.

Rattlesnake Jim, guess what, no more sleepless nights. Went and dug that sucker, didn't quite turn out the way I wanted it to but at least now I know, I used the best discriminator in the world, my eyes. Hold on to your coffee, pic below.

Hi Flak, hope every one in the Calif. hills are doing ok. Thanks for taking care of the skunk.

Refering to the pic below, any questions?

post-719-1138233632_thumb.jpg

Good A.M. folks, about the "object" in the pic. The farmers here pull behind a tractor a large very heavy machine that has five of these things hanging down. They are controlled by the hydraulics of the tractor. What they do is rip open the hard packed ground about 6" deep and then they put on ground up rock in a powder form that helps keep the ground softer.

The signal I was getting was from one of these "rippers" that had broken when it hit the large rock just below the surface. After removing the steel part there was no signal at all from the rock and it wasn't magnetic. :(

Good Sunday morning folks. A nice 70°, clear skies and a beautiful Sunday.

Last night got back from the capitol, Goiania for some banking, truck repair and a WalMart fix. :P

Nope not a typo, WalMart AND Sam's only 5 hours by car. The others are more than three days away.

Hope everybody has a great day.

grubstake get well and slow down.