gold hunting

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruff&Tuff, if I didn't have a super magnet I believe I would stay in the house.

The magnet I use is about 2" in diameter and 3/8" think. It's very strong although some of the rare earth magnets now are a little stronger they are also more "brittle" and break easier.

I've tried both ways of mounting the magnet on the inside of the pick and the outside. Personally I prefer it on the outside, a little more versatile there.

When a target that I've just dug is in the dirt pile at the back of the hole, just move the magnet around in the dirt pile and then check the dirt again with the detector, most times the small pieces of dozer blade, boot tacks and such will be gone with the magnet.

If I still get a signal, then I take my scoop and scoop the dirt and pass it over the coil until the target is in the scoop.

Works good, it's quick and saves a lot of time. Lead, gold, silver, aluminum and copper won't stick to the magnet.

Probably the ole boy that owns this site sells them, if not he should.

I sell them here but it's a fur piece to come and get'em.

I guess a pic would be good about now.

post-719-1142005522_thumb.jpg

Sweetie (my wife) has several friends who run "animal rescue services" as a "side-line". One has a ferret rescue service, another has a bearded dragon lizard rescue service, another has a turtle/tortise rescue service. How it works is, when someone has an animal they either get tired of, it outgrew the owners, illness forces owner to get rid of, it followed them home and won't leave, etc, the owners put out the word that they need to get rid of the animal. Sweetie's friends get word and then either have the animal shipped to them or go pick it up. They also get tax breaks from it!

So, as of now, I'm officially in the "gold rescue service"!! All you old prospectors (or young buck prospectors) who have ugly, unwanted, unloved gold that follows you home or that you're plain sick and tired of taking care of, just send me a PM or an email and I'll be glad to take that poor stuff off your hands. Depending on where you live, I'll either come pick it up or pay the postage for you to send it to me. Yah, I know, it's a large sacrifice on my part, but what can I say?? I've got a great big old heart of gold. :lol:

HH, ya'll! This thread is great!!

Kajun

Kajun, what a coincidence, I also have a similar service here, it's the "gold fever rehab center" for anybody that has gold fever and wants to talk about their problems in the gold fields, where most of their problems occur, GPS coordinates help to isolate the problem areas, ect. ;)

My other service, the "bearded clam" shaving service is free to participants and thriving.

As you can tell by my post above I let the ugly little guys stay here, all 11 grams.

I promise to keep your kind offer in mind in case I'm ever up there and need your services. :rolleyes:

Hot Dang.!!! You guys, I just hate to see anything go to waste. Wish you would have posted sooner cause I had a real nasty, ugly old 1/4 ozer that no one one wanted and I could no longer stand to look at it, so I just flushed it down the stool.

Just about half an hour before I turned the PC on. O well, come easy go easy!!...

Bob T. :blink::o

Missed one. Also one of the roads.

Never saw water like that in the creek. Farther down in the canyon I thought I was going to die one day, ran out of water.

That washed out part of the road is just past and down hill from where your truck is parked.

Hot Dang.!!! You guys, I just hate to see anything go to waste. Wish you would have posted sooner cause I had a real nasty, ugly old 1/4 ozer that no one one wanted and I could no longer stand to look at it, so I just flushed it down the stool.

Just about half an hour before I turned the PC on. O well, come easy go easy!!...

Bob T. :blink:  :o

Bob T. just remember in the future when you have a "ugly" nugget or "ugly" woman, that's why God made light switches, turn off the light. ;)

How did you get into the "dry camp"? By foot, truck or quad?

garimpo, sir, my hat's off to you. What a fine fellow you are! Not only relieving the folks of their ugly, unwanted, unloved yellow rocks and flakes and relieving them of the burden of gold field info and GPS locations, but also the shaving of bearded clams! Certainly you are a man of many skills and talents. I'll also keep you in mind if I'm ever down your way.

Bob, that's ok. Just keep me in mind for the next one, k??

Thanks for the replies folks! LOLOL

HH, ya'll!

Kajun

Mornin Bob T, those kind of nuggets I don't carry around, a good chance here of losing'em along with my head.

I carry a couple of little ones around in my Kangroo poke.

Hi folks, many post in the past I posted pics of a Brazilian rock crusher in operation on Bill's forum.

Today I got pics of one that's even larger that's being readied to go North 1,800 miles and they will feed this monster with a front end loader. The motor is a Mercedes out of a truck and the slurry comes out the bottom into the riffle tray(not pictured) then they will put the slurry in a centrifuge to separate the gold.

In pic #1-#3 is the big boy, look how heavy just the lid is they have to use a hand cranked winch to open it.

#4 and #5 is the smaller one in operation.

post-719-1143505038_thumb.jpg

post-719-1143505093_thumb.jpg

post-719-1143505138_thumb.jpg

post-719-1143505174_thumb.jpg

post-719-1143505216_thumb.jpg

Finally got some of the story from the guy that's fixing up the big rock crusher to haul it 1,800 miles North.

It seems that the vegetation is so heavy up there that they pay a % of their finds to some one to clear a trail ahead of them so they can beep.

He says there's a lot of nuggets to be had there. It's a new area that they've only been detecting for about 6 months.

For now the rain there is worse than it is here.

I've already traded my boots for flippers.

He said that in the 45 days or so that he was there he only came up with 400 grams of gold.

Let's see now: 1,800~10MPG=180 gal. x $7.00=$1,260, Food: $10.00 per dayx 30= $300.00, Gold: $17.00 per gram x 400=$6,800

So:$6,800-$1,260=$5,540-$300=$5,240 clear.

It's going to be a long trip with no one to talk too and damn no INTERNET. <_<

Good news Flak, while sitting in front of my friends very busy store on main street Monday another friend walked by that I haven't seen for over a year. When I last talked to him he owned a really large ranch in the next state North of here, so naturally I took him to the nicest restaurant in town, only one in town so it has to be the nicest, and I sprung for lunch. B) Big spender me, two good lunches for less than $5.00 USD. :rolleyes:

Damn good thing too, found out he now owns three ranches up there. Some time in the near future he's going to come by here and take me with him to show me where they are. :P

Ok, shopping list: batteries for GPS, more batteries for camera, bug spray, tick spray, fresh ammo, check barrel for "dirt dobbers", spare battery for GPX, 11"DD, 5x10 Joey, 17" NF, 12x24 UFO, shoe goo for boots, big ass pick, Brazilian documents (toilet paper), duce bag ( military jargon for shave kit), now checking satellite weather.

What smell worse than "skunk"---"mold". Got out today without getting wet, broke the moldy stuff off by beeping for a while and came up with the skunk, no problem.

BIGFOOT, went to the area I was talking about, the ridge that has a lot of the stuff that here they call lava rock. I'm sure your description and make up of lava rock is different and more accurate.

This entire ridge has been pushed and re-pushed many times, normally they use a rubber tired tractor and only go just below the rocks but in this case they used a dozer and went down about 6' or so. it's the deepest I've ever seen this material pushed.

It seems that below the "lava rocks" is "gravel"? of the same stuff. If it were possible to view this area without the vegetation it would look a bombing range. This time as in the past they picked certain areas and re-pushed some of the older pushes. I think probably total of 5 spots.

The story of finding 400 grams I think is "hog wash".

Here's the pics I promised but don't see how you can tell anything from them. The nuggets I was telling you about from these areas that are mixed in with the "lava rock" has the same material in the gold just like the nuggets that have quartz embedded in them.

Down here there's no such thing as "specimens", if a clump has gold in it then it gets "dollied" up and sold. You could be right about selling something that's worth more than spot but this is the type of nuggets that I sell for the gold content to help with expenses.

I've never used a VLF machine in these areas but I believe they would drive the VLF's crazy, that's why there's still gold in this stuff.

Here's the pics.

post-719-1144622802_thumb.jpg

post-719-1144622834_thumb.jpg

post-719-1144622866_thumb.jpg

Last Friday, April 7,2006 the national news at night posted a story about peons picking up gold nuggets off the top of the ground. Can you just imagine what a fuss that has caused. One P/U load of prospectors left early Saturday morning. 2,000 mile drive most of which is dirt, bad dirt roads.

In this town alone there's at least 50 prospectors and if you include the surrounding towns within 100 miles it would be easy to come up with at least 150 more. Hard to say how many are heading North now.

Flak, lick the pencil, smooth out the wrinkles in the paper here goes.

Town is Parnamirim, in the state of Pernambuco, Brazil.

Oh, now you want GPS coords also, no problem: 8°04'47.50"S, 39°35'50.57W, Elevation:1331'

Hurry and you can help me clean up the dinks.