gold hunting

• Admin

Hello Guys,

Well that is one of my better finds found in 2003 at 28-inch deep. I found the piece with the Minelab GP Extreme and Coiltek 14-inch Round Mono Searchcoil. The target just responded as a whisper one direction, but nothing the other way. I actually walked away from the target and then for some reason I came back to investigate it a second time. I just had a "gut feeling" it was a good target at depth. Low and behold it was a nice nugget. :D

The Aussie would call that piece a "dink." :mellow:

P.S. Garimpo, weather was in the mid 70's today with a nice overcast. Some of the best nuggetshooting right now here.

Take care,

Rob Allison

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if any of the states in America grows coffee or not but here there's millions of acres of coffee trees. I think that probably coffee is Brazil's biggest export.

I'm not going to say what #2 is.

Some of you may know this but when the coffee bean is first picked it's white and looks a little like a white pea. Coffee here is available in the stores in packages or cans just like there.

A lot of people here "cook" their own coffee beans because it's much cheaper than paying the big companies to do it.

Here's my friend who works for the health dept. as a nurse, at home cooking her coffee. Her sister who lives in New Jersey is married to a "gringo" lawyer. I was visiting them this morning.

post-719-1136331609_thumb.jpg

I've been a little confused about something, a normal state of mind for me. A few people have posted information saying that a PI detector won't pick up "foamy" nuggets.

Guess maybe my nuggets aren't "foamy" enough or else I'm doing something different.

My GPX has found these using a CT 14" DD and a NF 17" mono with no problem.

Each day I start out with the detector switches set the same and make adjustments as I go. Meaning when I get a target I try different settings and at least two different directions to see what works best in that area.

I never beep and dig, rather I go through all the switch settings to see if some other combination works better.

When I first start I let the detector stabilize for about five minutes, usually as I'm walking to my area. I start with all switches in front in the up position and all in back in the down position.

Occasionally I make a change but very seldom.

I never, ever use discriminate. To my way of thinking a discriminator on a gold detector is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

Attached Image

post-719-1136332001_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hello Garimpo,

Great looking nuggets. Most of them are pretty coarse and crystalline. However, they still seem to have a pretty solid mass if that makes any sense. Some of the stuff found down south (here in Arizona) has a very porous or sponge characteristic to them. I have a piece in my collection that a PI wont detect. I will try to dig it out later tonight.

That's some beautiful gold your finding there.

P.S. Looks like your scoops arrived. :D

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

I realize that opinions are galore on any subject that can be discussed but I have a question that I would like some opinions on.

What do you folks consider the criteria for a nugget to be called a "specimen"?

--------------------

If it beeps--dig it!! Garimpo

Cabin fever and gettin crazier!!

Rained in all week, hope next week is better.

A friend just came by the house with his Nephew that just received a new detector from his Uncle. A new Garrett Ace 250. Never seen one before but talk about simple to operate. Turned it on, set the mode for "all metal", full sensitivity and it actually picked up a round 2 gr. nugget at about 6". Remember this is in my drive way. I told the kid if it's not raining Sat. I'd take him out to the jungle. :o

Little shit will probably out do me. :blink:

• Admin

Hello Garimpo,

I would consider something a nugget if 3/4's of the piece is gold. As for specimens, anything that has a small amount of gold, or only about 50% visible gold is a specimen to me. I think everyone calls a nugget or specimen something different from the next guy.

I love to find gold and specimens though. :P

Take care,

Rob Allison

Garimpo,

hold it...

you're finding gold in your driveway?

what's up with that place anyway...

Don't let the rain get you down...just start your memoirs,

or better yet, pose another question as bait for whats4supper.

Both would be good reading...

Sun'll be coming out soon...

regards,

Flak, I planted the nugget in my drive way to test the machine with. :)

whats4supper has the best reading I've seen on here so far. Sure wish I had know him when I lived in Vegas.

Did you see Shannons pic I got posted? Still can't figure out how I did it.

*snip*  A friend just came by the house with his Nephew that just received a new detector from his Uncle. A new Garrett Ace 250. Never seen one before but talk about simple to operate. Turned it on, set the mode for "all metal", full sensitivity and it actually picked up a round 2 gr. nugget at about 6". Remember this is in my drive way. I told the kid if it's not raining Sat. I'd take him out to the jungle.  :o

Little shit will probably out do me.  :blink:

hey, garimpo, you just answered a question I've been struggling with for the last 2 weeks or so! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Which size coil did your friend's nephew have, the 6"X9" or the 9"X12"? If it was the smaller one, then the 9"X12" should hit a 1 gr. or less nugget at about 9 inches! WOO HOO! (Uh, I got an Ace 250 about 3 months ago and want to get started gold hunting.)

Love reading your posts. Please keep 'em coming!

Good luck and may the rains stop soon.

WOW Garimpo,

That was a shock to see my wife staring back at me this morning...

anyway it was a great part of our lives...

(did you ever figure out how you posted the pic?)

rain stopped yet?

Almost know how, moved it to my desk top, copied it and then pasted it in a new post. I think that's right! I believe some of that CRS must have splattered.

garimpo, earlier you mentioned finding a "2 gr. nugget at about 6 inches" with an Ace 250.  Is the "gr" you mention grams or grains??  I figure it's gotta be grams, but now you've got my curious up.  :D

Thanks.

TXK, I do everything in grams or ounces(oz) or kilos.

Hey Garimpo,

How is it going? I been down for a week and a half. Damm PC got nuttier than a peach orchard boar so I got pissed at it, loaded my gear and headed for the hills for four days. Beat the bush hard, wasnt looking for the usual hammered areas but was thinking maybe I would find a new patch. Only one pissy 4.5 grain dink.

To make it worse I found it with the 3500 and 11" stockDD.

Didnt spend three grand-plus for that. Got a Bug II for the dinks.

Anyway it sure makes you look forward to home, a hot shower, a soft bed and a good cup of coffee. Speaking of which, I went off and forget my coffee, four days without a cup, WOW!!!

Only thing that saved me was that, I did remember to take three cans of Skoal with me, and if you get real hard up for a cup of coffee, you just spit in your cup, after a while it will be about half full and looks kinda of like thick brown coffee and then, well you know............

Hey, speaking of kilos, you are talking about gold, right??? Bob T.