gold hunting

Hey John, no passport no problem, just have Flak get a big suitcase.

Since you brought up the subject, I've been meaning to say something along those lines and here it is.

In today's environment, fast air travel is not much of an issue anymore. So if a person in this "hobby" is able to travel at a moments notice why not have an passport. They take about one month to get and their relatively cheap. Then if and when the opportunity comes up all that's needed is a visa and there's something like 23 countries that even that isn't required of US citizens.

So why have a current passport? Let's take for example, a ranch owner here gives me permission to detect his 10,000 acres ranch that's never been detected before and I don't feel comfortable about going it alone and invite a couple of good beepers to tag along. Do you think I'm going to wait a month and a half for someone there to get a passport and then a vise(normally another two weeks)? :blink:

Just something to think about.

BTW, that exact thing did happen last year. The owner who spoke a little Eng. emailed me from San Paulo,Br and wanted me to check his ranch for gold. He asked me to meet him there in two days, which I was more than happy to do. :P

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be getting a passport very soon. I was told, a couple of days ago that by Sept. o6, that we would need one to get back from Mexico. I go down there quite often and at the moment dont need one to get in or out. Just dont want to get hung up down there and not be able to get back when I want to. Also read an article today that said we had to have one in 08" so don't know who is right. But I will know in two or three weeks as I'm going down and will stop in customs and get the scoop on it.

Have a friend who detects quiet a bit down there and does very well, some really good country there. Bob T.

Good morning Bob T. glad to hear that your getting a passport. What people don't realize is that a passport is the only true means of identification of what country a person is a native of. It's also the best way for a foreign gov. or American Consulate to identity a person if shit happens.

Even years back when I traveled to Mexico I always took my passport.

In your post above you say you have a friend that does quite well down there, where is down there? Here or in Mexico?

Garimpo,

I used to spend a lot of time down there. I remember one time many years ago, we kept a log and out of 64 days, 61 of them were spent in Mixico.

I had a friend that worked in law enforcement down there, always good to make friends in the right places. He helped to keep me off the path of no return :) .

On occasion, when he was on duty, I would visit with him at his humble place of employment. If for nothing else, just to remind myself that it was not a place that one would want to apply for any long term residency, now that I think about it, not even an overnight stay, as the toliet facilities and sleeping arrangements were somewhat less than desirable.

AH, those were the good old days, when we were young and dumb and would throw all caution to the wind. Now we are just older and hopefully not quiet as dumb. :rolleyes::lol: Bob T.

Yea Bob T., good days, good times and best left as a memory.

All my good life long friends back home ask me why I do all these crazy things that I do and my reply is when me and them are rocking chair bound and they say they sure wish they had done something that they've heard about and I'll just looked at them and grin and say "yep, sure was fun".

We only go down this road once and in the end the road wins, so enjoy while we can.

Hi Garimpo and Bob!--I can relate to the things you mentioned, But I would certainly make every effort to come up with a Million bucks if I could get 45 years back and be 22years old, know what I know now and do more things than I have already done (Just dreaming) :rolleyes: and not do some of things I have done. :angry: Good to see you guys are still chirping :P ---Hammer

Dream on guys it all sure sounds good.

I've got a friend in Alabama whose a head shrinker, I made some of those same statement to him one day and he said that if we as humans could go bad in time with the knowledge we have today, that we would still make the same mistakes.

I think he's either a bad "shrink", a bad liar or better I not look back anymore.

What do you think about this?

Your up early beeping, using your trusy ole SD2100, a 25" mono coil and you get a "clear" signal.

Another scenerio, now it's a GP EXTREME, GP 3000 or GP 3500, a 25" mono coil and that same signal now puts the GP into "overload" and packs your ear wax.

The signal? A 70 oz. nugget at 2' for one lucky Aussie.

post-719-1141051825_thumb.jpg

Out of bed as usual, out the drive-way as usual, got to new spot only 9 miles from the house, gear on as usual, started beeping as usual, two hrs. later thunder starting so stoped as usual, drove back to the house for lunch and SKUNKED as usual. ;)

Still beats punching a clock. :D

Hate to hear about the traveling skunk on the move again, especially visiting my baliwick.

I guess it's necessary so he'll always have a place to stay for a while.

Go get that gold now that's he moving around.

Flak, keep the paddles handy, (twice huh), Rattlesnake Jim here's you a fix, Bob T. great pics of the dredge gold but in your post you said that bad four letter word, (snow).

Any way enjoy.

post-719-1141307081_thumb.jpg

No gold today guys.

Had to drive "kin-folk" 135 miles North in pouring rain.

Stayed there about two hours and decided that since I enjoyed the drive in the rain so much, I just turned around and drove back, still in rain.

Where's my underwater detector and snorkel?

post-719-1141818343_thumb.jpgpost-719-1141818217_thumb.jpgpost-719-1141818242_thumb.jpgpost-719-1141818265_thumb.jpgFlak

, when most people get a target they immediately fall on their knees and start digging like a maniac. I don't.

First, I'll put the coil to one side and check if the balance is still ok, then back to the target and with very small but fast movement of the coil to see if the sound stays the same, then balance on auto to see if I can balance it out.

After all that, just takes a couple of seconds to do, if the signal is still repeatable and constant I'll start testing with the switch's in different positions.

Normally changing the switches doesn't produce any increase in signal strength but at times it will and that's the new position that I'll use for that area.

Most hot rocks are on the surface or very shallow. Once I have them isolated and they don't stick to the super magnet and there's no visible gold showing I'll just put it in my nugget bottle and check it later at the house.

Most of the "hot rocks" that had gold inside were very small and a brown color, but that could change with different mineralization