This is a question re. wet ground. Has anyone actually tested whether there is a significant difference in the depth that one can detect nuggets in wet vs dry ground.

I ask because, at one time, I had found a small patch (15m x 10m) that produced some nice nuggets. Over the years the ground gave up fewer and fewer nuggets - even with the 18" ROUND MONO COILTECK and the GPX 4000 - and a lot of digging. Yet early one spring, I went up to camp taking along my detector, and got a solid hit on ground that I had covered extensively. Something over 65 -75 cm ( a little over 2') down was a 42 grammer! It was such a solid hit that I could not believe I had missed it in the past (possible but unlikely) so given that the ground was saturated after the spring snow melt - I believe that the wet ground allowed me to find the nugget! Thoughts?

• Admin

Hey YukonLewis,

I have to agree with you and have experienced it myself many times. It has been a debate if the ground is more conductive or just much quieter when it's wet, maybe a combination of both. That being said, it does seem like if you hunt an old patch after a rain you have a better chance to hear something you might have missed prior.

Congrats on the 42 grammer. Wishing you much more success!

Rob Allison

Damn - cant find the picture of the 42 grammer - instead found one of me holding a gold brick - they are still pouring them in the Yukon - of 168 oz. I'm a little new at this so your patience is appreciated.

post-56130-0-15132800-1366004508_thumb.j

Oh no !!!!!! :o

Does this mean i have to start backpacking water into the desert to pour on the ground now!!!!!

Or i could rig my detector shaft with a sprayer like a swiffer... hhahaha,,, just kidding,,,, ^_^

What a ruff life we lead,,,,lolol

But it sounds logical to me~~~

paul

I suppose this is a specimen? There is an oz. of gold in this nugget. Not bad. I have wondered if the composition of the nugget would have anything to do with the solid hit - but really with an oz. of gold - it should have registered earlier! However it did not get away!!!

I suppose this is a specimen? There is an oz. of gold in this nugget. Not bad. I have wondered if the composition of the nugget would have anything to do with the solid hit - but really with an oz. of gold - it should have registered earlier! However it did not get away!!!

post-56130-0-35134100-1366070835_thumb.j