Anyone know this guy?

Yep posivetive, we had my aunts services today, Friday my brother has his, he gets cremated tomarrow. I'm spreading his ashes in Monterey Bay the weekend after the 6th. . We went through my aunts old albums today and was given my picture back. I'm going on 60+ now and haven't seen that picture since basic at FT. Ord. Grubstake

Mine was A-1-1 and I was raised in Monterey, so It was like being home to me. Grubstake

Grubstake,

Born and raised southeast of you in Stockton. Left for good in 64 and haven't been back. Did my time in the AF 63-90 and spent my time in Vietnam - 66-68, sitting on 2 flak jackets in a Bird Dog shooting Willie Peter W-P rockets marking spots to piss off charlie. Sorry to hear of your losses.

h20prospector

Guys

The first thing you have to remember is that beauty is in the eye's of the beholder.The only trouble is nobody wants to hold us anymore. :wacko:

Another thing is it's better to love and lost than not loved at all but that would have been okay if that's the only thing I lost.My X got the gold mine and I got the shaft. :angry:

I'd post my picture when I went in the AF in 61 at the age of 20 years but each year I dispose of last years pictures so people think I always look this way.Even this has change over the Years ( :spank: ).

Chuck Anders

Grubstake

I know what your going through because I've had to make the same trip your having to make now with the loss of Brother Aunt Uncle's Two Grandmothers Father Stepfather and the list goes on.

God gave us life and life goes on.

Chuck Anders

• Admin

Hey Guys,

You know what pisses me off .... It's the fact that are there guys/gals that found for our great country, homeless and living on the streets with no insurance or a place to stay. However, we are paying millions to fund these illegals that come over and abuse our system.

I think the US Government should treat US Vets like KINGS!!! Many of them paid the highest price, they died for our Freedom.

Thank God we have great guys like Grubstake, FrogMick, Dutch John, H2O and Ridge Runner.

Just ranting ....

Rob Allison

My uncle was in Nam the same time I was, they had the 16's, he said they were junk then, would jam in a minute, and some of the guys he was with would carry m-14, in fact he told one time they were out, on patrol and everyone that had 16 jammed or some even blew up, they had a 14 that was rusted shut, they put it against a tree, and kicked the bolt back, . he said that 14 saved there ass. it was the only working rifle out of 6 they has, wading through the water, the monsoons, and all, hell the 16 didn't even have a cleaning kit with them, the experts said they fies clean, and did not need them. Many people lost there lives, because of a screw up, that was later fixed, by McNamara. Grubstake

Hey Grubstake,

sorry to here about your loss. Been kinda ruff around here for me too. Lost the mother in law last month and my dog of 17 years last week. Boy I really miss him.

Glad you made it home OK.

Rob, I know what you mean about Vets on the street, it makes me so sad / mad.

I had a thought the other day about all of the illegals abusing our system. What if we did away with the income tax and increased sales tax by ?? percent. If you buy it you pay the tax, illegal or home grown, all pay the same tax.

mike, what make me sick, is if you go to Monterey, and look at FT. Ord, which the closed around 10 years or so ago, all that base housing, hundreds of house's just boarded up sitting there rotting, weeds taking over everything, Why in the world! Couldn't we put our homeless vets in them to save them, they could live in them for free if they just maintaned them, as they are, they look like run down shacks. America should be ashamed of letting good housing go to waste when we have soo many homeless people here! All those house's have been paid for with our tax dollars and for a very long time. politicains are really stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Grubstake

I think that's an excellent idea Gary. there are closed bases with loads of unused base housing all over the U.S. May be able to allow the Vets to eventually own the houses under a homestead statute or overhaul the houses with Vets for Vets with a habitat for humanity type program. It galls me too when I drive by closed bases and see all that housing going to waist. AzNuggetBob

I personally don't see why! They can't use the old barracks buildings for single vets, and let the married ones with family to move into the base house's, to me it would be a win-win deal, they would get houseing, we would get up-keep of the grounds and buildings. I was out at FT. Ord about a month ago, all those nice house's just falling down , lawns grown over, looks like hell. but some of those house's it wouldn't take much to make them nice and liveable again. Same thing for the air base at merced or Atwater, instead they would rather have houseing our tax dollars have already paid for, just sit and rot, while good honest people live on the streets in there cars or tents. Hello Washington! Obama! How about that Change you promised? Use your mines for a change! Grubstake

Fort Ord was divided up after it closed. Any abandoned buildings left standing I think belong to the state of California and if there are any I doubt they are fixable. The info below is mostly from Wikipedia:

Ft. Ord closed in September 1994, part of the base was given to the state of California for development. Now there is a strip mall, subdivisions and California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB). The two highly rated golf courses that were on base are now public golf courses and have hosted PGA events, Pebble Beach Golf Links is just down the road.

The vacant lands used for training the BLM took over. Fort Ord Public Lands, which includes miles of trails, vegetation and wildlife. As their title states, the trails are open to the public for hiking, biking, and other forms of exercise. However, many trails are fenced along their edges because of possible unexploded ordnance. Fort Ord Public Lands:

The military still has a presence at Fort Ord, in the form of several California Army National Guard units, facilities administrated by the Presidio of Monterey, and the continued operation of the base PX and Commissary to cater for retirees who chose to settle in the area and are entitled to shop at such facilities. Management of the military housing has been outsourced to private firms, but the homes are still occupied by personnel stationed at the Presidio of Monterey and Naval Postgraduate School and retired military members. Ft. Ord's housing, PX, chapel, and Commissary are now called Ord Military Community.

A State Park of almost 1000 acres just opened along the old Ft. Ord coast line in March 2009. Fort Ord Dunes SP:

Ft. Ord was also a EPA Superfund Site:

Ft. Ord was the best CONUS Army Base I was at and I was told that it was the best by many. I was also at Ft. Gordon Georgia and Ft. Dix New Jersey and they were like nasty third world countries compared to Ft. Ord. It was sad to hear that Ft. Ord had closed. The bases I was at in Japan, Hawaii, Korea and Germany don't exist anymore either, the only two left are the third world toilets back east. I never served in Nam and I had it pretty easy in the Army, I salute all combat Vets. Thanks Rob.

March Air base has many base houses just fenced and rotting that could be used for housing.

Grubstake, Frogmick, and h20prospector, I have said this to all the vets I have known "Welcome Home".

I am sorry to say that the current government is not interested in vets. The DHS equates them as domestic terrorist and FEMA is training groups of young men (Stasi) with weapons that veterans are enemies of the United States. Don't forget the vaccinations of the Gulf war that has killed thousands with the syndrome or caused some other horrible sickness. If this is not enough, look at WWI vaccinations and the hundreds of thousands of military men that died right after the vaccine and millions of people following.

Just placed an order for the GPX 4500, upgrading from a GB2. Hope to get out next weekend again to take my mind of all the treasonous activities of the govt. Will have to use GB2 until the GPX comes in from back order, hope this is soon.

Will revisit some worked out areas and see if anything turns up.

MD

i looked at your pictures and yes, i also have the before and after ones. once in awhile my wife gets them out and says, honey, look how young and good looking you were. i just look at her and say, that's before and after of all the years married to you did to me. [sMILE} she gives me that elbow in the side and reminds me how lucky i am to still be married to her, almost 38 years. i told her i was going to trade her in for a younger model and she said, you would be laying in bed and waiting for the younger one to undress and when you seen what she has, you would die of a heat attack. yes, i agree with fixing up many of the closed down places and let our vets and their families live there. like you've said, they are already bought and paid for and now just rotting when they could be put to such great use. if the present oberment looked into it, he would probably make them home to all the illegals from every where. what shame it is to not to help our vets. ron

March Air base has many base houses just fenced and rotting that could be used for housing.

Grubstake, Frogmick, and h20prospector, I have said this to all the vets I have known "Welcome Home".

I am sorry to say that the current government is not interested in vets. The DHS equates them as domestic terrorist and FEMA is training groups of young men (Stasi) with weapons that veterans are enemies of the United States. Don't forget the vaccinations of the Gulf war that has killed thousands with the syndrome or caused some other horrible sickness. If this is not enough, look at WWI vaccinations and the hundreds of thousands of military men that died right after the vaccine and millions of people following.

Just placed an order for the GPX 4500, upgrading from a GB2. Hope to get out next weekend again to take my mind of all the treasonous activities of the govt. Will have to use GB2 until the GPX comes in from back order, hope this is soon.

Will revisit some worked out areas and see if anything turns up.

MD

mountaindigger,

Thanks for the kind words. I agree the current government doesn't care much for its vets. When I was growing up, a lot of vets who saw combat were in the government, but that's becoming a rare thing today.

I too upgraded my GB2, but to the SD2200V2 (wanted to get the 4500, but too expensive for me). Don't get rid of the GB2 as it is possibly the best back up VLF detector you can have. I'm still getting used to the SD, and it is much more difficult than the GB, but I want to find larger gold than the GB has found, so the learning curve is worth it. Being in Colorado pretty much limits detecting, and going to the hot spots means 15-23 hours of driving.