Best Gold Dectector for around $700?

I heard and read the Tesoro Lobo Supertraq was the best at $640 and comes with a lifetime warranty, but I was talking to another guy who has 35 years experience prospecting and using metal detectors and he says the Whites Gold master Tracker GMT was the best..

I cant barely find any info at all on the Gold master GMT and very little on the Lobo.. If these are so good why is there no info on these metal detectors? I just don't wanna spend $650 to $700 and be like crap.. I should have got that other one...

I want to find gold deep and I find to find very small gold closer to the surface.

Should I get the Lobo or GMT or is there something better?

Is the GMT worth $700?+ compared to a Lobo at $640 with Lifetime warranty..

Even on the few reviews I have read about these metal detector, most of them give no detail and are not using it to find gold in the mountains. I also need a detector I can scan in the creek with.

And for looking like a old stereo made 40 years ago, why are metal detectors so expensive?

ChickenNugget,

If you want deep, go Minelab PI...but expect to pay $

Both models you mensioned have reviews and field reports at the manifactures individule sites...Also some of the gold prospecting magazines have reviews & field reports to.

Did you use the search function to check the arkives here & other gold forums for information on those machines?

If you think these are expensive, try a used one, there about 1/2 the price.

wonderer

I been searching for hours and found not much useful info, just info that basically says the same thing for every metal detector out there.

I searched these forums also and only a couple times is the GMT even talked about and same with the Lobo.. I just figure there would be allot of talk about the detectors if it was the best choice and everyone was using them?

Chicken nugget . You seem to be under lots of delusions. No VLF detector is going to go very deep on the average nugget in the mineralized soils of most goldfeilds. As detectors go, $700.00 is dirt cheap for a gold detector. All VLF detectors are very old technology and very difficult to learn and use. The newer ones with auto Ground balance don't make it much easier. Of all the western states Washington is one of the most difficult places to find gold with a metal detector. I hate to pop your balloon , but you may have better luck playing the lottery. You will dig countless worthless hotrocks while you are learning to run any of the detectors mentioned. With all this being said , I wish you luck and hope you prove me wrong. You just need to have a reality check so you don't put your expectations too high or you will get discouraged quickly and end up like thousands of others who have spent lots of money for a closet queen. If money is really all that tight for you, I'd do some more research before spending any of it.-----Bob

Detecting for gold is not anything like detecting for coins. Expect to spend hours digging assorted bits of crap. From specks of iron that was a cable or screen or any undefined piece of metal. To the numerous bits of lead that have come from any number of bullets shot in the desert.

If your using a vlf machine your going too want to go out and look for drywashing piles and rake them down.

Take off a couple of inches at a time and spread it out good and thin and detect it nice and slow.

You'll fine all the little bits that the big pulse machines do not see.

No one really gave and response the the actual question that was made..

and for Montana.. You see a little aggressive in your post.. I was pretty much just wondering which was better, the Lobo or the GMT..

When I said deep, I mean more as in deepest of the detectors mentioned or in that price range without losing sensitivity to smaller pieces, a happy medium

Guest Mike C...

Well CN you can either take the words of wisdom that have been given to you by Bob and others or learn the hard way like the alot of us did when there was no forums like there is now to get infospank.gif --I went through quite a few beepers before finding the right ones and learned them all by my self----out of the 2 beepers your inquiring about although I don't care for either my choice would be the Gmtwink.gif ---Mke C...ph34r.gif

Hey ChickenNugget,

Please understand that even if you..Say...went to a skydiving forum and asked them "which parachute is the best for this price?" You would still get different answers..sure you`d think there would be one concensus of the best one at that price. I mean were talking life saving devices here..but thats not the case.

You have had good advice so far. The machines you speak of are fairly equal, but some may prefer one over the other. A Gold Bug II, GMT , and Lobo ST are all fairly equal. Buy one , If you dont like it you can sell it on one of the forums and get a good deal of your money back.

If your going to get one of the two, I would go for the Lobo ST. I've had one, found my first gold with one, once you learn it, you can hunt gold, or coin, Jewlery. Coil is waterproof, has a life time waranty. My two cents. Grubstake

No one really gave and response the the actual question that was made..

ChickenNugget,

I've not owned the GMT but I have owned the one before it..There the same size..I found the controls confusing & the unit heavy + overly touchy.

I find the Tesoro Lobo Super TRAQ lighter & the controls easer to use + it breaks down easier to transport & the coil is waterproof. Fieldtest report: http://www.tesoro.com/info/fieldtests/current/lobost/

Since the price of gold has gone up, the # of people thinking of quick easy money (after watching the gold show channel). They go out and highgrade on other peoples hardearned claims.

In all truth only 10% or less ever pay for their detector, headphones, pick, shovel, gas & wear&tear on your vehicle by finding gold. ITS A HOBBY . A money pit for most.

Honestly instead of buying a metal detector & accesories ( if you think the MD's are expensive ).....go and buy a gold coin...you'll come out ahead.

Here is the most honest recommendations by Steve Herschback: (read the top sticky post) http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/13-Latest-Nugget-Detector-Recommendations-For-Alaska

wonderer

chicken nugget. My response was only to warn you that this isn't going to be a cakewalk no matter what detector you buy. Now that that has been done , check the operating KHz on each detector. The higher KHz will usually find the smallest gold but might sacrifice depth on bigger deeper pieces. The lower KHz will go a bit deeper on the larger pieces , but might miss some of the tiniest pieces. If you really want to save money, Tesoro makes a very cheap manual ground balance detector that is light as a feather , runs at a High KHz and will keep up with any of them when it comes to tiny nuggets with the 6"eliptycal coil. I can't remember the model name . And since Tesoro has such a good warranty you might think about buying a lightly used one and save a couple of hundred dollars if you have your mind set on a Lobo super track. There are several available right now on the classifieds on the US gold foruums. -----Bob

Hey Chicknug, I'm in Arizona I've owned or used the past 4 years all the VLF's mentioned and more plus the Minelab P.I.'s

If you want to hunt for gold seriously AND CAN AFFORD NEW or USED get a Minelab P.I.

If you want to get out in the field and have a 95% chance of getting a nugget and possibly a nugget patch, or a specimen from a tailing pile with gold or search drywash piles or hunt meteorites, I personally prefer from actual usage and experience the Whites GMT. One of the past seasons I came into a patch and detected over 60 pieces of small gold "NUGLETS" or "NUGETTS" whichever you prefer to call them, they add up, AND its a "KICK :girl: ASS" experience when it happens.

Easy to use in Auto Mode for a beginner and also has Manual Tuning Mode for you as you become experienced with it.

Like most say almost any VLF will detect gold if it BIG ENOUGH AND CLOSE OR ON THE SURFACE.

But once you learn more than a layman's knowledge you'll understand what I mean.

A used GMT or Tesoro Lobo ST Gold Bug 2 etc anywhere from 400 plus and up usually , As far as buying any of them new go for it if you like anytime, or wait till Christmas Season some mfg's offer specials with accessories included this can amount to an x-tra size coil as a freebie.

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, DON'T be too lazy :spank: to search old posts from gold forums and the internet for first hand accounts from users and compare mfg's info. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE for RESEARCH. And SHOPPING ( research ) is HALF the fun and ALL the knowledge to be found without actual field experience on YOUR part.

ENJOY, its a wonderful fulfilling hobby/lifestyle that will afford you physical exercise, knowledge of the great Mother Nature Herself, and some fantastic friendships made along the journey, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG AS I SEE IT , SO JUMP IN ANYTIME THE WATERS FINE. B)

• Admin

Hey ChickenNugget,

First, welcome to the forums. I think you received some very good information about the detectors you asked about. Keep in mind, no metal detector is a magic wand and they all require you getting over a nugget or whatever you're looking for.

The VLF's are older technology, probably 20+ years now. With a VLF you will have pro's and con's. The VLF's are normally very lightweight, easy to use and for the most part very sensitive to small gold near the surface. Some of the major drawbacks are -

(1) Unable to balance out some ground conditions

(2) Detecting much more hot and cold rocks

(3) Limited on depth ability

(4) Limited on accessories (aftermarket parts)

If you're willing to spend $700, you might consider saving a few more hundred and searching for a used PI, such as a Minelab SD series, White's TDI or Garrett Infinium as a starter PI.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Hey ChickenNugget,

First, welcome to the forums. I think you received some very good information about the detectors you asked about. Keep in mind, no metal detector is a magic wand and they all require you getting over a nugget or whatever you're looking for.

The VLF's are older technology, probably 20+ years now. With a VLF you will have pro's and con's. The VLF's are normally very lightweight, easy to use and for the most part very sensitive to small gold near the surface. Some of the major drawbacks are -

(1) Unable to balance out some ground conditions

(2) Detecting much more hot and cold rocks

(3) Limited on depth ability

(4) Limited on accessories (aftermarket parts)

If you're willing to spend $700, you might consider saving a few more hundred and searching for a used PI, such as a Minelab SD series, White's TDI or Garrett Infinium as a starter PI.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Hello

I have used GMT I can confirmed what Rob has said especially in term of detecting hot rock, and limited depth

There is only one detector to own if you want to find Gold and you want to be in that 700 range. Here I will throw a wrench in the works.

The BEST GOLD DETECTOR for $700, is the Minelab Xterra 705, then you put a 10 inch DD 18.75 kHz coil on it and you will be amazed the performance you will get using Minelab's new VFLEX technology. VFLEX technology. VFLEX uses state of the art digital electronics to enhance standard single frequency detection technology. This has the advantage of providing dependable performance and improved immunity to outside interference. VFLEX technology also has an added advantage of being able to change the frequency of the detector by simply changing the coil being used.

There is no other detector on the market in that price range that will outperform the Xterra 705! NONE!

People seem to ignore Minelab's Tag Line, World's Best Metal Detection Technologies, do you know why they can say that? Because it's true! If it wasn't, people would be lining up to prove them wrong.

Go to Minelab's site and read about the Xterra 705, after you are blown away by the features, give Rob a call.

http://minelab.com/usa/products/coin-relic-detectors/x-terra-705

BCOT!

Doc

• Admin

Hey Guys,

The X-Terra 705 is a great detector and one of the only completely digital detectors. However, keep in mind, when you're using the VLF or V-Flex technology you will still experience and encounter ground noise, hot rocks and less depth.

Advantages of the metal detectors normally under $1,000 is lightweight design, costs & sometimes more sensitivity to small gold.

The new DVT (PI's) are now able with the right settings and coils to find nuggets under a grain in size.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a GMT a few weeks ago..It's very fun to go out searching for gold, but I just live to far away from the gold spots and my search partner is slacking..

Pretty much I have to go about 3 hours away from home to go to where the gold nuggets are. It's a hot spot for sure, just to far to get to.. and well there is bears and crap out there lol

So I have a White's GMT new model metal detector for sale for $650 shipped with only about 1 hour of use.

Comes with DVD and Book and a skid plate. Still have a full charge on original batteries that come with it.

I live in Marysville, Wa and also have the receipt if needed

I'm just not able to get out and look for gold as much as I wanted to is why I'm selling it and going to buy a camera instead.. Will consider part trades.