Carbon Fiber shaft

A few days back as I was measuring my detector rod to see if it fit in my biggest airline approved suitcase...I realized that the upper rod on my 3500 will not fit. I never had that problem with the 2200 or the GP extreme...because they were two piece upper rods...a fact I had forgot...

So I called my friend Herb and he agreed to make me a two piece carbon fiber rod. I picked it up yesterday. It is a beautiful thing, the CF has a finish that reminds me of snake skin right after the snake sheds...very pretty. But much more importantly it has no slack or bend in it. I must say the workmanship is top notch!

thank you Herb!

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Fred...thanks for the heads up on the Carbon Fiber shaft...I got the part very fast! It looks impressive! I did the weight check and the old fiberglass rod weights 170 grams or 6 0Z and the Carbon Fiber is 135.3 grams or 4.7 OZ. It cleans up pretty well since it does not have groves in the shaft. The lock up ring that tightens to the lower shaft is a quick lock up compared to the old multiple-turn stiff version. Not Bad for $90.00. The other picture is a battery pack I plan to use hopefully this weekend. Website http://accuturnmfg.angelfire.com/ ...Guido...P.S. Thanks allot Herb!

post-21178-127594823307_thumb.jpg

post-21178-127594825014_thumb.jpg

post-21178-127594841364_thumb.jpg

I bought one of the carbon fiber shafts from Herb also. I

am very impressed with it. I did not weigh the fiberglass

shaft that I had been using, but I could feel a difference

just holding them. I really like the compression fitting

over the fitting on the fiberglass shaft that uses a o-

ring to tighten down on the lower shaft. I will be using

this new shaft on all of my detectors and any future

detectors that I buy. Thanks Herb. You did a great job.

Matt

Guest Mike C...

Hey Doc also sells a carbon rod setup as well and has been for some years now---you guys act like this is something new to the MD marketcool.gif ---Mike C...ph34r.gif

Hey Doc also sells a carbon rod setup as well and has been for some years now---you guys act like this is something new to the MD marketcool.gif ---Mike C...ph34r.gif

Doc does sell a fiberglass version. I checked his website and I cannot find the Carbon fiber version. Guido

Some people have said that the Otto Shaft is Fiberglass & some have said Carbon Fiber....Maybe we could get some friggin clarification on this???

Is the lower OEM Minelab shaft really Fiberglass, carbon fiber, or aluminum????? Geeezzzzz

Doc will probably start to carry Herb's

carbon fiber upper shaft. This is a new

product to the MD market. The otto is a

fiberglass shaft and weighs a bit more.

Like I already said, I like the way Herb

did the compression fitting better than

the o-ring on the otto.

Matt

Copied and paste from Doc's site...

As far as I know an seen on his website he does not sell Carbon Fiber uppers.

ac-FSO $220

Complete Fiberglass shaft

Just transfer your handle, bungee knuckle, and arm cuff over to this fiberglass rod and take some weight off.

Rather than having the upper part of your detector shaft being metal, this gives you a heavy duty fiberglass shaft all the way up to your control box. The more metal you keep away from the coil of your detector the more sensitive the detector is. Comes complete with an extra long heavy duty lower rod, and works with all Minelab lower fiberglass rods.

Reference http://www.docsdetecting.com/docsplace/coiltek/coils3.html

post-21178-127596743259_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hello Guys,

I will clarify since I do sell both. For years I've been selling the Otto Complete Fiberglass Upper/Lower Kit. It's a great set up, but it's pricey to say the least.

Herb sent me one of this Carbon Fiber Shafts and it's the "Cat's Meow." I have yet to post any pictures, but the new Carbon Fiber shaft will be what stays on my GPX-4500 and whatever else comes beyond that.

Yes, Herb's Carbon Fiber seems like half the weight of the Otto Fiberglass.

If you looking for either, I have them available for sale.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

They are not $220 however, that is the MSRP, they are $159. And they are fiberglass.

Doc

Hello Guys,

I will clarify since I do sell both. For years I've been selling the Otto Complete Fiberglass Upper/Lower Kit. It's a great set up, but it's pricey to say the least.

Herb sent me one of this Carbon Fiber Shafts and it's the "Cat's Meow." I have yet to post any pictures, but the new Carbon Fiber shaft will be what stays on my GPX-4500 and whatever else comes beyond that.

Yes, Herb's Carbon Fiber seems like half the weight of the Otto Fiberglass.

If you looking for either, I have them available for sale.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison