Honest answers only.....

I'm curious...

I want to ask a question but I kind of doubt that anybody will venture truly honest answers.

Any way here is the question.

Have you found enough gold with your detector to pay for it?

the second question that has to go hand and hand with it is this.

It took.....1-10 hours of hunting.

11-30 hours of hunting

31--100 hours of hunting

101--200 hours of hunting

201-1000 hours of hunting

I'm still trying to pay for the batteries.

Nope not even close...

Me in all my years of playing I have less than 1/4 ounce of gold.

Granted I have color and just purchased a new drywasher I'm not even going to get to use.

Hope springs eternal but is rarely fulfilled.

Good question for sure! I bought my minelab on june 26th. I've spent over 100 hours i with it and only found a 1dwt nugget. Problem is i bought this thing thinking it would be as easy to pay off as my dredge was. WRONG! I used to make great wages with my dredging, but thanks to the terminator,, thats gone for good. I bought this detector because it was the best out there.

I have paid for all the equipment I have and all I've ever owned many times over...However I've been aggressively prospecting and mining for 30+ years...Many thousands of hours both researching and feets on the ground...I seriously doubt, however, that someone who plans only casual prospecting/mining cannot expect to pay for anything much...There's a steep learning curve that requires perseverance and determination ... However, the intangible benefits of chasing the gold can far outweigh the financial gain...The gold is just the icing on the cake....BTW, Lee, nice icing!!!! Was that beauty hit with acid? ... Cheers, Unc

Negative... not yet. But for a number of reasons.

1) I haven't sold any of my gold yet.

2) I just bought a third MD.

3) I spend way too much time prospecting for new placers on virgin ground, instead of searching older known Au sites.

4) I'm wandering up that new stream or over that next hill anyway... so might as well take my MD along too.

Keep Smiling... Fritz

I suppose if I sold all the gold and meteorites I've found so far it might pay for my equipment. But if you factor in gas, food, and all the other associated expenses with this hobby probably not. Since I hoard all my finds I probably won't ever sell anything so I guess I'll always be at a loss. However I tend to look at it this way- The most fun you'll have in this hobby is the adventure of seeking out gold and if you're actually successful and find something that's just icing on the cake.

I like to think the adventures I've had, the places I've seen and the people I've met out in the gold and meteorite fields make the money I've spent on this hobby worth every penny. This is a hobby for me and hobby's are for blowing your money, sucking up your time and having fun with it. If your constantly worried about paying for the trip or your equipment you won't have fun with it. However once you pop out your first whopper nugget you'll kiss your detector and feel it's paid for itself. Just be patient and persistent and the gold will come.

Del

PS- I couldn't tell you how many hours I've put in the field!

HI All, Ron

Uncle Ron, yeah I bathed this beauty in Alli Brite for upto 6 weeks changing the solution every week, BTW I have only found 4 nuggs & still have them all so the payday is in theory.

This next picture is of the other gold we get over here, Ron this is what you could expect if you venture our way, the top ones are coral trout ( bag of 14 ) the others red throat emperor (bag of 34), what a great day.

post-28886-128122217078_thumb.jpgcheers

Lee

Guest GoldProspectinginOz

I'm curious...

I want to ask a question but I kind of doubt that anybody will venture truly honest answers.

Any way here is the question.

Have you found enough gold with your detector to pay for it?

the second question that has to go hand and hand with it is this.

It took.....1-10 hours of hunting.

11-30 hours of hunting

31--100 hours of hunting

101--200 hours of hunting

201-1000 hours of hunting

I'm still trying to pay for the batteries.

Nope not even close...

Me in all my years of playing I have less than 1/4 ounce of gold.

Granted I have color and just purchased a new drywasher I'm not even going to get to use.

Hope springs eternal but is rarely fulfilled.

In Oz I believe that the majority of detector users have probably never found enough gold to pay for their detectors (and detector upgrades) and certainly not enough gold to cover the detector+expenses! Probably about 10% of detector uses find 95% of the gold.These are the ones you hear about on the web, the majority of unsuccessful users rarely post!

just my opinion,

doug

http://australianelectronicgoldprospectingforum.com/index.php

Ebonbetta,

Never found enough gold to pay for the detectors, equipment, ware and tear on vehical, ATV, club memberships & or gas.........

As said in a post before there is a big learning curve & its hard to find ground that is not claimed to hunt legaly, so most beginers join a club or two.....

& with tree huggers, forrest service, BLM twisting the laws to suit their twisted mentality or agenda, its getting harder.

It's a hobby, unless you get lucky.

wonderer

Fellow Prospectors,

Our hobby/sport isn't about making money! Now all of us are outdoors people and I'm sure I'm not the only person here to say they've caught boat loads of fish and freezers full of wildgame. To me our hobby metal detecting...it's the hunt for the gold. Being outdoors is our calling. But, like any hobby/sport you have to have the time to invest if you want to achieve in it. I mean you don't headout to the lake expecting to catch a 12 lb bass that some pro-fishing guide did the day before or head out to the golf course and expect to hit par. It takes time and dedication to a hobby/sport to get to the numbers that other's achieved. If you keep it simple with easy achievable goals, try to have the best equipment that you can afford, do your homework/legwork and just enjoy yourself. You'll find yourself enjoying this hobby as I do, "it's not the money, it's the hunt"...Until our next hunt!

LuckyLundy

Yep, I have paid for all four of my units, several times over, as well as all the rest of my equip..

Matter-of-fact, awhile back I just sold off a little over a pound and I still have a satisfactory amount left. ;)

As for the hours, I don't keep track of how much time I put in detecting so I don't have any idea how many hours that I have in but its a bunch. I'm retired so sometimes I work a couple hours a day, somestimes a half day and sometimes all day. I may work a couple days a week and them again I may work everyday for awhile. There are times when it pays good and times when it sucks. That's all part of the game.

Bob T.

If you were to compare nugget hunting to bass fisherman you could say most dont pay for their boat, gear, vehicles but some do manage to make a career out of it. If gold was the same price as lead I don't think I'd be out there, would you?. I'm not saying its all about money but it does make it more fun.. It is one of the few hobbies that can pay you back. I find a lot of other things while out hunting gold, such as coins, relics, tokens, meteorites. Add them to your collection or sell them the choice is yours. It is a little harder to trade your fish for a new fishing pole though, unless your a career fisherman.. some dont take it seriously its just a hobby...but some do. :)

take care all, AzNuggetBob

If you were to compare nugget hunting to bass fisherman you could say most dont pay for their boat, gear, vehicles but some do manage to make a career out of it. If gold was the same price as lead I don't think I'd be out there, would you?. I'm not saying its all about money but it does make it more fun.. It is one of the few hobbies that can pay you back. I find a lot of other things while out hunting gold, such as coins, relics, tokens, meteorites. Add them to your collection or sell them the choice is yours. It is a little harder to trade your fish for a new fishing pole though, unless your a career fisherman.. some dont take it seriously its just a hobby...but some do. :)

take care all, AzNuggetBob

I'm not asking specifically for the idea that this is a hobby with a bottomless pit of looting at the rainbow.

If it was not for my mom getting sice I'd be in the desert fulltime and would have had the rv repaired already.

But the bottom line to me is while there are different ways to make finding gold pay. I'm was happy spending almost every day in the desert . Throwing some dirt and finding a few grains a day.

I may drive the car out to the desert for a 2 day adventure since the rv is a bust.

I might have to buy a portapotty and find my tent.

I know I will then have to sleep on the floor.

unless I buy a cot that will fit into my honda.

I'm looking at the possibility of buying a trailer but then I would need to find a decent vehical that can pull it...No matter what it always involves what I do not have...

Ebonbetta,

Just keep in mind that you're in good company, you're amongst the many not the few.

There are only a few "gold hunters" whither they're "nugget hunters", "dredgers", "hardrock miners", "sluicers", "panners" that have all it takes to go and find gold when ever they want too, whither it be time or equipment, personal problems or all the above, most of us are in the same or similar situations you're in, I've haven't been able to go and look for gold at all this year due to many unforeseen expenses and other pitfalls in life, your time will come sooner or later as well as mine, just keep your head up and meet everything head on it will make you stronger in the long run. IMHO

I can tell you that there're many people that have it a lot worst than you or me, I know it is hard to see that when it is happening on your own home front, I see it everyday happening to people around me that are seemingly just giving up hope and I'm thankful that my head is still upright with my eyes on the horizon looking for better days.

Hang in there.

Skip

In Oz I believe that the majority of detector users have probably never found enough gold to pay for their detectors (and detector upgrades) and certainly not enough gold to cover the detector+expenses! Probably about 10% of detector uses find 95% of the gold.These are the ones you hear about on the web, the majority of unsuccessful users rarely post!

just my opinion,

doug

http://australianelectronicgoldprospectingforum.com/index.php

Doug , For many people the actual gold may be secondary to that quirk of human nature that drives many people to want to be good at what they are doing whether it be a hobby or a job. Being part of that top 5 or 10 % in tournament fishing, professional golf, race car driving, can be very lucrative , but that probably isn't what drives these people to be over achievers. I would suspect that the same applies to the more succesful prospectors.

We know there are all kinds of folks who detect, some regularly find the odd nugget , some just can't seem to ever get the hang of it, some have quietly become semi-wealthy, some like to show off their finds, some want to remain anonymous. That top 10% of detectorists are the driven ones who feel that the rewards are great enough to put forth the effort involved.----Bob

5% of the people find 95% of the gold. While I am not in that lofty 5%, I might be in the upper part of the 95%. When I used to dredge, I definaley paid for my equipment and much more. Detecting is still pretty new to me, and I am lucky enough to have my detectors pay for themselves and even my Brazil trips. But, like Lucky says, it's not about how much the gold is worth, it's the hunt and camaraderie that really counts.

El Dorado,

Steve, That's the best part about our hobby. Like any job after a tough day at work, you sit back and relax. Have a couple of cold ones, a good meal and shoot the breeze with your buddies around the campfire. The camaradership, of good friends is worth more than gold at any price.

LuckyLundy

• Admin

Hello Guys,

This is always a great question to answer. To be honest, I've paid for all my Minelab's starting with the SD2000 back in the early 90's. That being said, I've spent hundreds of hours researching spots and thousands of hours hunting those locations. Some spots never pan out, while others turn out to be nice patches. I've found over a pound of gold many times in a single day, while other days I'm struggling to find a dink to keep the skunk away.

Being a dealer and talking and training hundreds of customers with all walks of experience, I've seen it all. I've seen new customers pay for their first Minelab with a single nugget the first day. I've seen some become good, average detectorists and pay for their detectors within a few years, while I've seen and still talk with guys struggling with their first couple of nuggets.

There are so many variables to this question. You might be just that lucky guy that should probably play the lottery tonight, the average Joe or the guy that will struggle to no end.

To increase your chances I recommend a good metal detector, training if you can get it, researching, read books, study maps, follow the internet forums, learn the detector well and plan on hiking your butt off in the field.

Keep in mind, this is one of the only hobbies out there where you can get excerise, free your mind from stress and have a good chance to find valuable treasures. Relistically, everytime that detector rings you're picking up a piece of history.

P.S. Success is not always measured in how much you find.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Yes I have paid for my detectors with the gold I have found, but that was spending about 500 hours a year detecting. Which isn't really a lot. Usually the payoff came in hitting a patch where I would pull an ounce to an ounce and a half worth of nuggets out. When that happens about 5 times a year your machine gets paid off quickly. Other times you are just having those 1 nugget patch days, where you come home with a single 1 gram nugget.

Or the days when you just get skunked. I almost hate the days when I get out of the truck and within 10 to 20 minutes find a nugget. Because 9 times out of 10 that will be it for the entire day and I spend the other 9 1/2 hours getting exercise.

However, as I advise all of my customers, look at this as a wonderful hobby. It's not a way to make a living and it's sure as heck not the way to get rich.

Now on the other hand. Name me one hobby where you even have a chance of getting a return on your investment.

I like to fish. I have $300 rods, $200 reels, and nice boat. Every time I go fishing it costs me money. Do you have any idea how many fish you have to catch to pay for a tank full of gas? Most times the bait I buy costs more than the fish I catch is worth.

I love to Scuba dive. Do you know how much SCUBA equipment costs? Each time you go out you have to buy air, keep up your certification, another tank of gas for the boat, unless of course you go out on a 3 to 5 day live aboard boat for $400 to $600 for the trip. Where's the return on this hobby? Just fun and adventure.

I love to golf. Gee a round of golf only cost $75 in the dead of summer in 113 degrees in Las Vegas; and that's at a public course, if you can get on. The way I golf, I can count on losing at least a dozen balls at $2 each. Where's the payoff?

So as a hobby prospecting with a metal detector gives you all the excitement and adventure, and at least the POSSIBILITY of a payoff. It's on of the most relaxing and fun things I have ever done.

But do it as a hobby and expect nothing but fun in return. If you get a little pay off or a big one, well that's frosting on the cake.

BCOT!

Doc

Ebonbetta. You asked for honest answers and I'll tell you what detecting has done for me. First of all I detect because I love doing it. I've been nuggethunting for over 20 years. I sell gold occasionally to buy the latest and best equipment, this includes vehicles , detectors and coils, and even my home. I hate wasting my money on interest on loans so I pay cash for everything. The gold has enabled me to retire entirely debt free with all the toys and a nice nest egg. I know others who are in the same position thanks to the gold they have found. I have made sure that I always live in a place where I can go detecting close by where even a couple of grams pays expenses for the day. The last 20 years of my life have been planned around detecting, not around a job and even before I retired all my days off were spent swinging a detector. Not everyone can structure their lives this way, but even some casual hobbyists pay for their equipment with found gold. I can't even begin to calculate the hours I've spent, but I would suspect that the wages are dismal day to day but the rare 4 or $5,000.00 day makes up for the slow times. I've put in many 10 miles walks for nothing but that never stopped me from doing it again. I know it's just a matter of time before a good patch shows up. It's all about mental attitude.----Bob

Ebonbetta. You asked for honest answers and I'll tell you what detecting has done for me. First of all I detect because I love doing it. I've been nuggethunting for over 20 years. I sell gold occasionally to buy the latest and best equipment, this includes vehicles , detectors and coils, and even my home. I hate wasting my money on interest on loans so I pay cash for everything. The gold has enabled me to retire entirely debt free with all the toys and a nice nest egg. I know others who are in the same position thanks to the gold they have found. I have made sure that I always live in a place where I can go detecting close by where even a couple of grams pays expenses for the day. The last 20 years of my life have been planned around detecting, not around a job and even before I retired all my days off were spent swinging a detector. Not everyone can structure their lives this way, but even some casual hobbyists pay for their equipment with found gold. I can't even begin to calculate the hours I've spent, but I would suspect that the wages are dismal day to day but the rare 4 or $5,000.00 day makes up for the slow times. I've put in many 10 miles walks for nothing but that never stopped me from doing it again. I know it's just a matter of time before a good patch shows up. It's all about mental attitude.----Bob

High five Montana, There are a lot of hunters that are happy hunting gold for hobby, If you want to hang out with your friends and have fun that's fine, It does seem that those with the drive to do the research and make it more than a hobby seem to find more gold. There are many patches out there just waiting to be found and getting a few ounces or pounds out of a good patch is nice but finding a rich vein above the patch can be were the real money is at. ;)

Take care AzNuggetBob

Archived