Great sunny day

Forum members. Since I know something of the situation, I'd like to chime in here. What transpired would not have seemed a breach of trust or faith to me had I been in Road Dogs shoes. The other party involved has ALWAYS been more than generous as far as sharing his patches and helping any newbie. I guess we all have our own feelings of what is cool and what is not. Road dog made his choice to end the relationship because he percieved it to be unfair. That's his choice , but I don't see it as a case of greed, just a perception issue of how things should have progressed after the first nuggets were found.----Bob

I don't know the situation at all but I am pretty sure I know the guys involved and all I have to say is they are about the most generous people I know. Not only with hospitality but with their goldfields and patches as well. And I am pretty damn sure they didn't do you wrong Road Dog.

If you are the same guy I am thinking of that came down to the goldfields here in so cal where I hunt, I remember you picking up a nugget from one of the patches I found a while back. Should I be pissed at you? If you remember I said "cool and here are some other areas I found some nuggets"..... Get over it Road Dog.

DigDeep

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Well I can say this aint my first Rodeo when it comes to this. I'm honestly not sure I have enough fingers to count the times this has happened to me. I have shown a bunch of guys spots over the years and it ended up them going back day after day pounding the locations.

Personal Advice: Don't tell anyone anything if you're worried about someone going back. As much as I hate to say this, it's the truth (Mum's the Word). If you do decide to take someone to your patch, lay out all the ground rules before you start hunting. If the person don't agree, they don't hunt! If you don't lay out the rules, I guarantee stuff like this will happen.

I have a couple of good stories, but I will save them for a rainy day. :glare:

Hope you guys can patch it up and continue to hunt together. I'm always willing to give a guy a second chance, but if you burn me a second time then "Shame on Me!" :angry2:

P.S. Uncle Ron - I know exactly what you're talking about. Those guys were so worried about someone (probably you seeing them), that one time I seen them coming out of that location wearing ski masks during the Summer time!!! It didn't dawn on me until several months later after we talked.

When I was a cop we used to always say there were three sides to every story, His, hers, and then of course there's the truth.

Like I said, in order to avoid confusion and keep from losing friends I just hunt alone. I have found that the best way to keep your gold plated asshole from getting tarnished is to not bend over and expose it in front of "friends" with detectors. Because sure enough, one of them will run right up there with a prospecting pick wanting to scrape the gold right off the walls of your colon.

Doc

Hunting alone has its good points. Our core group has hunted together for more than two years with no issues. We invited a new guy, and that is when the issues started. I have had the privilege to camp and group hunt with some absolutely fantastic people and am looking forward to many more of of those great times. I can and do hunt by myself and enjoy that also.

I just cannot imagine not having a group hunt/outing and missing all the great times spent around the campfire!

I also hunt alone 90% of the time. I've been burned but never hesitate to join the person accused in this situation because he is so willing to share his patches and info as I know he did with Road Dog. I know he suggested that Road Dog try this new area because he had suggested it to me and several others months ago. Everybody in this far flung group shared info with Road dog and he benefitted by finding gold in nearly all the locations shown to him plus having a new area to hunt that he most likely would never have known about or found access to on his own. It's hard to understand what the problem was. Apparently he didn't want anyone else hunting the area unless he was present which was ridiculous since no such restrictions were put on him by anyone who shared patches with him. His perception of how things were supposed to work apparently are different from his hosts in this case. It is complicated because of the fact that it is a very far flung group and the group hunt he envisioned just is not logisticly possible during the winter months when a long trip could turn out to be a total rain out. In the meantime , the persons closest to the area went ahead and hunted it as weather permitted. Nobody else in the group had a problem with that. We all have our local patches that we hunt when we can't get together as does Road Dog. His loss I say. He'll miss out on some great outings and many future patches. I'm only chiming in here because I feel that there were some unfair assumptions made by many forum members as a result of his post. It was not a case of "dirty rotten patch stealer" as was implied. It was a case of one person feeling he was taken advantage of which I guess is inevitable in any group of humans. Road Dog was polite enough not to name names to his credit and nobody has any hard feelings toward him . Some of us are just baffled.----Bob

I/'ll try to stay out of it as much as possible, except.....

I agree with El Dorado that the cameraderie of camp life, and socializing on the hunt, is where the, "real gold" is.

At this time i don't give a rat's hind-end about the material gold...(that may change when i actually find some :rolleyes:)

And I love you Uncle Ron, and have never met you, but I hope y'all would not condemn all the rookies....we need your help and gfuidance along the way---i wouldnt be near as far along without the forum and some help by experts in the field.....i'm just saying here that I totally agree with Rob-----LAY OUT THE GROUND RULES FOR ROOKIES OR PROS when it comes to patches...

I hope everything turns out for the best for everyone involved. At least the scenario has been thrown out and resolved. That is better than stewing over it. Everyone get on with it and keep swinging...

paul

Bob,

I see that you have a lot to say and there is two sides of a story. You have never talked to me about any of it so I don't see how you can have such a big opinion on this. I have also shared my own area's with the group and big and little nuggets were found. Tell me this were you invited to this new area or two other people that are in the group by the person I'm talking about? (NO) This is what I'm talking about it is just not myself here. This is a hobby for me not a job. And when it becomes more than that it doesn’t work in a group of hobbyists.

RD

I would like to clear something up. I have got many PM’s stating this person didn’t find this area some of you are talking about. This area that you are talking about has old timer diggings, new scrapes and dig holes all around from many detectors. So the area I’m talking about has no dig holes and no old timer diggings and is away from that area. So any one can take someone to a place that has been pounded and say I found this place. That’s like me saying and taking people to rye patch in Nevada and saying I found this place and you find a big nugget there and now I’m the man. This is not what I left it up to the forum for. I was just stating that I didn’t think it was fare for someone not to invite all the group to this spot and to just clean it out for them self. Before all of us got a chance to go. I was told when I was invited to this group that I had to share my areas and we will share ours. Not all for one and none for all.

RD

• Admin

Hey Roaddog,

It's a sad deal and there are always two sides to the story. I'm not taking any sides, just hoping all you guys can sit down one day and talk about it. Sometimes over-excitement and new areas get everyone worked up. I would agree with Montana Bob, many more areas and patches will be found in the future. I'm sure you all want to be part of that, so I'm hoping you all can work it out.

Hunting alone is ok, but sometimes it's great to show your finds and pump others up!

Wishing you all the best,

Rob Allison

Road Dog. You are right, I probably don't know the whole story, but I know enough to chime in, especially when you asked opinions while only giving your side of the story. You asked for opinions, you got them. I'll be happy to leave it at that.----Bob

I hope everyone can sit down fes to there mistakes and go forward, It was inevitable when you get a group of people that big something like this would happen, I have met you guy,s and seen how much fun you have together,That my freinds is priceless. Gold is like a drug and in time will change just about anyone, Some times you cant get enough I do not know the facts of this but in matters of freind ship i would recomend to keep it as private and respectfull as your best momnets together,A few oz,s of gold aint worth the mess and indagestion,I have highgraded in my youth and i guess most have,we do learn and grow up with good friends along the way, I will agree on one thing most all the guy,s that i have met that say they do it for a living Can justify the damndest behavior.Best of luck to you all ,We are only human and do not need to be perfect,

Well, I have watched this thread for a few days now. Being the "newbie" I kept my thoughts to myself. Looks like I changed my mind. I can't speak on the originating situation but I will speak on some of issues and comments that have followed. Now no one here knows who I am. I am THE outsider. Though I can understand the resentment some of you have towards new people I would like to think that at least some of you would still use your judgement towards the inexperienced instead of stereotyping. Just because someone is "new" or "inexperienced" should not automatically label them as having low or no morals or lack appreciation for what others have spend some much time and effort to achieve. One of my biggest reasons for joining forums like these is to learn from those who already know. Not to rob someone of their hard work. Granted, most can learn these things with enough time and effort. It is usually easier, safer, and more fun to learn from the experienced.

I take no sides in the matters at hand. Just wanted to ask that I and other like me not be judged for someone elses greed and inconsideration.

Satt

Gentlemen, I have worked for gold mines for over 20 years. I have seen THOUSANDS of ounces and have poured HUNDREDS of bars off cathodes and gravity circuts. Its just metal man... you cant take it with you when GOD calls you home.

A FRIENDSHIP weighs more than all the gold in the world.

Get up dust ur duds off and get after it again ... its still out there.

My Best Regards to all...

Hey Guys

I have to agree with NV AU, and Satt, A friend is worth a lot more than a few dinks. If you take yor friend to lunch and even pay for it, you don't boot him to curb if he licks his fingers after? Well the way I look at it, you take your friend or friends to your patch the gold in the ground belongs to no one, including me unless I have a filed claim. Now if he or she finds more gold on my patch than me, I don't get mad. That is my friend being successful, and when he finds a new patch I would hope it would even out. He most likely is a better prospector than me and I could come out ahead in the long run having him for a friend. I'm not a pro but have been doing this for 40 yrs. I have been taken to some nice places and have found more than the guy that took me, and have been out hunted by people I have taken. I have never lost friends over any thing found with a Beeper, including gold. If you make your living doing this then it is business, and you should run it like one. Yeep I have returned on my own and did well but I knew the rules and stuck to them. The others may not be able to get back when you have time, and visa-versa. I hunt a lot by myself but I love hunting with friends and sharing the experience. Don't be a Fred C. Dobbs :P I can tell you right now he didn't get it all, you just have to work harder for whats left.

It is what it is.

CH

Did the guy leave a big shit and toilet paper. he's a shit head

Calling someone a shit head that you do not even know, or really know of the real situation is totally uncalled for and not in the spirit of this forum. You are just a new guy here, please be much better than a child

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I'm not going to let this post get stupid. I thought it was good information, as stuff like this happens when you're chasing gold. If it gets to name calling and stuff the thread will be gone. I felt it was only fair to allow both sides to tell us their view and go from there. If both sides would like it deleted (orignal poster and others) please PM me and I will do so.

Rob Allison

Archived