Thai Gold with a GPX 5000 (video)

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGRo33KZDfE

Note: It's interesting that he runs in "Iron Discriminate" even though he's using a mono coil and the bolt that lights him up further into the video clearly demonstrates disc isn't working... why is he running it, your thoughts?.... You don't usually see nugget hunters running disc, regardless of dd or mono on shaft.. hmmm :huh:

Pretty noisy threshold around 6 minutes onward, is this the normal stability 5000 owners, I thought the new units were more stable or is he off on his GB?

Jennifer

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGRo33KZDfE

Note: It's interesting that he runs in "Iron Discriminate" even though he's using a mono coil and the bolt that lights him up further into the video clearly demonstrates disc isn't working... why is he running it, your thoughts?.... You don't usually see nugget hunters running disc, regardless of dd or mono on shaft.. hmmm :huh:

Pretty noisy threshold around 6 minutes onward, is this the normal stability 5000 owners, I thought the new units were more stable or is he off on his GB?

Jennifer

Jennifer:

Im not a pro at this but....

I would set my machine up prior to the auto tune.

As for auto tune....I hold mine on my sholder with the coil perpendicular to the ground. Not moving around much when its doing its thing. He seems to have it almost on the ground?

Geet that flippen loop from the cable off the top of the coil!

Its best to run it nice and tight straight up the shaft and then loop it at the control box.

Kick those dirt clods out of the way and detect where they were.

He does have a nice slow swing.....not like the guy in the GB2 Video that was golfing with it.

Does need to overlap a little better.

With that wind and the other person yacking in the back ground I would deff. be using a headset!

The way his threshold is warbling....I really dont think he is set up correctly for his soil.

I am working very hot soil right now and im a LOT more stable then that. And, im picking up sub grammers.

My settings are.....mono, gain 11, stab 9 everything else to fit the person using it.

Whats he growing? Weed? :)

Just me thoughts......

Tom H.

Yeah Pete,

This is a huge advertisement for reading the manual and learning from experienced people.

It's pointless to run discriminate with that coil, it does't work.

He never ground balanced at all,

the sweep is uneven and doesn't overlap.

And the crazy thing is the guy probably finds stuff!

blink.gif

Get rid of this video before someone watches it and copies what he's doing...spank.gif

Yes, always hold your coil a foot above the ground when you ground balance.... :wacko:

When in the "very slow" coil speed setting, you should only move forward at one inch per hour......:wacko:

Always run in discriminate when using a mono coil......:wacko:

Never keep your coil at an even level above the ground - have it 6 inches above then right on top of the soil and vary it all the time - especially in tracking mode! ....:wacko:

Its said by the narrator on the video that this guy uses his GPX5000 all the time - if he finds any gold he's doing it in spite of himself........:ph34r:

These guys should buy JPs 5000 Video so at least they could see how its done.

I wonder if this is "Nohave" or a friend of, who has been posting on the Ozzi Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum.

He was using a modded SD 2000. And posted photo of some very nice finds.

Running in DD while using a mono coil is a holdover from the GP series. Some claimed it smoothed the threshold.

The threshold warbling in this vid is obviously from the close by power lines surrounding the field.

The manuals are available in several languages as a PDF. If your language in not available then use Google translate.

Really this vid is a great example of just how user friendly a ML PI is.

Indonesian,

Manual ar tersedia dalam beberapa bahasa dalam PDF. Jika bahasa Anda tidak tersedia di kemudian gunakan Google translate.

Sungguh vid ini adalah contoh yang bagus tentang betapa user friendly PI ML.

Tai

คู่มือ ar ใช้ได้ในหลายภาษาในรูปแบบไฟล์ PDF ถ้าภาษาของคุณในไม่สามารถใช้ได้แล้วใช้ Google แปล

จริงๆ vid นี้เป็นตัวอย่างที่ดีของผู้ใช้เพียงวิธีที่เป็นมิตร ML PI คือ

Yes It's me the same guy.

I 've been using ML in the gold field many years. While most of them were using water and pan .They could not afford ML during that time so I introduced Gold Bug2 and GMT to them. Once they armed with metal detectors , they invaded all the land in the area and found lot of nuggets.

( I live 200 kms from gold field )

The whole village impressed when seeing me pulled big deep nuggets with ML . So once they got enough gold they will try to buy ML. :wacko: :wacko:

Sorry I did not teach them how to use PI.

Yes, always hold your coil a foot above the ground when you ground balance.... :wacko:

When in the "very slow" coil speed setting, you should only move forward at one inch per hour......:wacko:

Always run in discriminate when using a mono coil......:wacko:

Never keep your coil at an even level above the ground - have it 6 inches above then right on top of the soil and vary it all the time - especially in tracking mode! ....:wacko:

Its said by the narrator on the video that this guy uses his GPX5000 all the time - if he finds any gold he's doing it in spite of himself........:ph34r:

These guys should buy JPs 5000 Video so at least they could see how its done.

Tks for the advice Chris:

Guess ive been doing it wrong.

Going to try it your way this weekend.

:)

Tom H.

Hi Chriss

I think its his other mate "NoHope" :lol: :lol:

Lets just hope this blokes not the one doing the Minelab Thai tuition's ay :spank:

Pete B)

Pete....

Some of us dont live in the land of "stub your toe on gold nuggets"

So we take what we can get!

:)

Tom H.

• Admin

Hello Nohave,

I think you should teach and show these guys how to detect like you. Just imagine how many Minelab's you would sell along with getting a great customer base.

Would love to hear more about Thai gold and experiences over there with detectors.

Thanks for sharing,

Rob Allison

Dear Tom,

At the last Minelab dealer conference, the technicians from Australia finally agreed with what I have been teaching for 20 years. Unless you have a known source of interference, a high power line, or another detector close by, leave your coil on the ground and tilt it up at a 45 degree angle with the heel of the coil still on the ground turn around find the most interference and hit the tune button leaving the coil on the ground! NOT IN THE AIR! You are interested in eliminating noise at the level of where you are detecting. Microwaves bounce around, you can have all kind of interference at ground level, where you detect, that are not hip high or shoulder high. I don't tune to the air because I have never found a flying nugget.

He may need to turn the Stabilizer down a bit to smooth out the threshold, or it could be his timings, hard to tell without being there and knowing how he has it set up.

BCOT!

Doc

Jennifer:

Im not a pro at this but....

As for auto tune....I hold mine on my sholder with the coil perpendicular to the ground. Not moving around much when its doing its thing. He seems to have it almost on the ground?

Its best to run it nice and tight straight up the shaft and then loop it at the control box.

Kick those dirt clods out of the way and detect where they were.

He does have a nice slow swing.....not like the guy in the GB2 Video that was golfing with it.

Does need to overlap a little better.

With that wind and the other person yacking in the back ground I would deff. be using a headset!

The way his threshold is warbling....I really dont think he is set up correctly for his soil.

I am working very hot soil right now and im a LOT more stable then that. And, im picking up sub grammers.

My settings are.....mono, gain 11, stab 9 everything else to fit the person using it.

Whats he growing? Weed? :)

Just me thoughts......

Tom H.

I noticed he is not ground balancing correctly. I see him pushing the button and releasing it while the coil is still in mid air. No gross balance adjustment and no fine balance adjustment. Gold must be pretty easy to find as he is obviously running out of balance.

Doc

• Admin

Hello Doc and All,

I agree, tuning in the air don't work well. I have always tuned my Minelab PI's with the coil on the ground. I simply allow the detector to lean against me and I reach down and push the auto tune button and allow the unit to run through the freqs. I really have never seen a huge advantage of holding the coil outward unless there was some real obvious that I wanted to tune out.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your recommendation. :D

In the beginning, I taught them how to use VLF units. ( ground balance, benefit of using head phones ) But once they armed ,they invaded all property without permission during the night including mine. . ( I bought new property over there when found some gold nearby but they invaded the very first night I paid that afternoon ) :angry: .

First I blamed.. their little education and environment ......... but on a second thought ....greed has nothing to do with education nor environment as it happens in town too :blink:

Actually I tried to import some ML ( including X-terra ) from USA but no one willing to sell to the country. But if I order directly from OZ then the price is higher and difficult to sell. ( I once used to be a dealer of big name telescope , after educating lots of people how to explore the sky how to use equatorial mount ,how to take picture of deep sky object, blah , blah.......some of them ordered direct from US as the big distributer there advertise their price cheaper than the price I got directly from company myself :ph34r: )

I really don't know how to do a business. So end up being ........a lone nugget hunter . a more peaceful life :)

• 5 months later...

OK, just saw this a bit ago. Lots of feedback. I am the narrator of the video. The Thai guy in the video does pull a lot of gold out of the ground on a consistent basis so that does attest to the 'goodness' of the GPX-5000.

It's interesting that he runs in "Iron Discriminate" even though he's using a mono coil

As far as the Iron Disc, he often swaps coils out and always sets the Disc, advantage being if you swap to a DD coil your settings don’t change. There is no negative consequences of setting up discriminate with a DD coil and if you look on the video at just after 7:07 he explains the reason that we just dug a iron nail. ('It didn't get discriminated out because we have got a mono coil on there').

You don't usually see nugget hunters running disc

The reason they normally use Iron Disc in that particular area is there are small pieces of iron wire from when crops were tied with it in the past! This would make some areas un-huntable otherwise. (the reason nugget hunters don't normally use it is that you can miss small nuggets encased in iron type stone.)

As far as setting up the machine prior to autotune, the only setting changed after the autotune in the video was the Iron Discrimination. (Although he was showing the different settings being used on the control panel)

The slack loop of wire above the coil may be a bit much but that comes from not having the coil wire taut at the coil so if the coil moves it doesn't cause stress where the wire connects to the coil.

The way his threshold is warbling…

There were two radio transmission towers and also high voltage power lines adjacent to this area. It was noted at several points in the video the source of the disturbance.

The threshold warbling in this vid is obviously from the close by power lines surrounding the field.

Yes, exactly.

(Broke up post into two parts because was getting error message).