Anyone remember Brett Foster, nearly 12 years ago

• Admin

Hello All,

Not sure if anyone remembers Brett Foster, but he was one of the early Minelab PI pioneers. Brett and I hunted together a bunch in Arizona, even swung a few times with him in Northern Nevada. I know he loved that damn "Lunker Hill," if anyone out there knows where that was. :o

The picture below was taken back in early 2000 at Rich Hill. Pictured left to right is, Al Barber, Brett Foster, Rob Allison & Patrick K. I still remember that day like it was yesterday. We all scored some decent nuggets.

Sure miss those good old days.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hey Rob:

Whats up with the chaps? Is your horse off to the left of the pic? :)

Taker easy.

Tom H

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I think I was the only guy in that picture to have a SD2100, all others has SD2000's if I remember correctly. Great memories of the early days nuggetshooting the Rich Hill placers. In the background, several years later I stumbled onto a great patch. ;)

I used to wear full snake chaps back in the day. During the summer months they were extremely hot, but then again Rich Hill is also infested with Rattlesnakes. I don't wear them anymore, just the smaller snake gaitors.

Take care,

Rob Allison

I think I remember Brett. I think Hoss introduced him to me. Did he like to use a Gold Bug? If it is the guy I was thinking off he was absolutely dangerous with a Gold Bug. I think he went to Australia a couple of times with Hoss. Same guy?

Doc

• Admin

Hey Doc,

Yes, Brett loved the Goldbug and Goldbug 2 for smaller gold. Brett used to come down every year and stay with a self taught Geologist friend of mine that owned the Bland Mine outside of Bumble Bee, Arizona. Brett found thousands of nuggets around the region. There was one wash I found in the general area with a Minelab and thought I had every speck cleaned out. Brett asked to hunt it after I was done and he went back the first day and picked up like 22 smaller pieces with the Goldbug2. That was my first lesson that the early version Minelab PI's missed small gold, normally in the sub grain to 5 grain range.

Brett also found the big nugget/specimen that was displayed at Black Horse Mining or JW's Prospecting back in the late 90's early 2000's. The piece was around 50 ounces, but contained quartz.

Doc, I've hunted with Hoss and his Son a handful of times in the Bradshaw's in the early days also. There is a patch that Hoss found that I named the "Motorcycle patch." For some reason there was a small motorcycle battery sitting off the side of the patch, probably still there.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Howdy all... "five ounce Brett"... Brett sent me a photo of the nugget. I never hunted much in

Arizona, but all over Nevada. I was at Lunker Hill before Smokey named it... One name not

mentioned, but I'm sure everyone remembers him... Okie Jim Malone... ,

oldies 1955... Gosh I thought Rob was weariing chaps because he had borrowed

"Hoss's" horse as transportation. :) :) :)

Best... jim

Archived