Minelab SDC 2300 New Info 1/31/14

Hmm, that MPF sounds interesting Steve. Might be a killer on small gold. Plenty of that still out there that's for sure, especially here in our bad ground.

Will be very interested to hear how it goes when people get there hands on one. C,mon Steve and Rob, get one and lets hear :)

Steve

This is all well and good if it's equal to GPX 5000. If not how would you know that a so call patch is cleaned out?

I think when Garrett came out with the ATX Minelab said we need to do something fast. They did but what they didn't say out loud was we don't know what the sam hill it will be yet.

A fact that is true Minelab can't make it as go as the 5000. That's if they want to sale another 5000.

Now Garrett is giving all it's got in the ATX so to hit the gold nugget hunting market hard. I'm not saying the ATX is as good or better. The only people out there with both detectors know this.

Right now I'd say the new Minelab will be a thousand more than the Garrett and at that price it will have to be super to out sell the ATX.

Maybe American made will be on top again.

Chuck

Yeah Steve. Being aimed at small gold it does come over more like a clean up than patch finder. Patch finder? With that small coil? Iv always considered a patch finder a machine with big coil that covers the ground quicker! Stupid mounting position for the coil on the shaft end. But if it works great I could live with that, guess you'd have too.

• 2 weeks later...

After mulling this over for some time I think I get the patch hunter rationale. I have had the opportunity to observe a lot of Minelab operators over the years, and many would pass through a patch and never know it is there.

Why? They are looking for larger gold, and larger gold is rarer. Most patches will have many sizes of gold, with smaller gold being far more common. Many patches will lack any large gold at all. That is where hit VLF detectors can find spots that get missed by PI operators.

So what if we had a very compact PI designed to really go after the small stuff while handling hot ground better than a VLF? The idea being to get out and find any gold at all and then bring in the big guns to get the deeper stuff, that is if there is any deeper stuff.

Most serious operators still know that time and effort spent finding the big stuff is what adds up. But there is absolutely no doubt that some areas geologically just do not throw the big stuff. I research and seek out areas where big gold lurks. Some folks though have to work with what they can access, and that may be areas where a patch may mean 1000 pieces of gold, all under a 1/2 gram.

Looks like a cool unit to stuff in a rucksack and go, but I have to admit like a lot of people I think the rumored pricing is the main stumbling block.

Its probably much more like a turn on and go PI machine without all the bells & whistles and multi choice timings the GPX5000 has. If it is as they say, very good on small gold then it is most likely just locked in a single timing like "fine gold" and has all the best bits of the 5000 locked so you just turn on gorund balance and of you go.

Quick easy compact, you see some good looking ground and just grab this sucker and go. Then if its got small gold you can then come back with your 5000 and your multi choice of timings and settings and give the patch a good hammering

GE

Steve I often hunt for patches with a lightweight VLF. just for that reason (lightweight). but it also goes both ways. sometimes big deep gold/very little small gold. If I dont find anything with a VLF and If it stinks of gold as I say, has a lot of indicators or the areas history suggest it, I come back with the big guns just to make sure I'm not passing up big deep detectable gold. Will the SDC 2300 fill that gap? and do the work of the GPX 5000 and a Gold Bug or GB2, I dont think so. I suspect it wont do both well but will fill that mid range detector gap on mid sized gold at depth and small gold shallow in medium ground with more hot rocks than a VLF and being a PI and with a lot less aggravation not digging so many hot rocks. Ive found patches at the top end where there was almost no small gold left. I call them down the road patches. all the fine gold is gone. and they are common. a pocket has eroded out long ago and traveled, the nuggets are smooth and not by the source vein, in some cases far below it, and can be deep and if you were to walk through it with lets say GB2 you could miss it completely. Minelab may shock us all. wouldn't be the first time and I don't think it will be the last.

AzNuggetBob

Some folks though have to work with what they can access, and that may be areas where a patch may mean 1000 pieces of gold, all under a 1/2 gram.

That's 16 oz not a bad small patch in this day and age. However I would feel like I'm playing with a toy with a 8" coil.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Well I got the opportunity to talk with someone I believe is in the know and learned a bit more about this detector. I must admit, I wasn't overly excited hearing it was just a MPS detector. That being said, I heard it's new technology, but MPF, or Multi-Pulse Fast Technology, which is something new designed, not the same MPS that I thought. Now this is "hear say," but from a reliable source, so it will be interesting to see when the unit actually gets out. I heard it's going to kill small gold and yes it does have a 8-inch coil.

I guess if you have a PI that was like a GB2 on small gold and a GPX, then you would be set. However, that would also mean like a $10,000 budget .... yikes!!

Only time will really tell.

Thanks Rob for info.

I'm going to graft dollar bills to the tree in my back yard. I just hope the graft takes.

I know it's only money but why so much. It's good if it gets the small gold and yet get fair depth. I'd be happy! I'll let you young boys go for the fox hole gold.

Chuck Anders

• Admin

Hey Chuck,

We have to do something, the next flagship Minelab detector won't be available for several years with that new technology if you do the research, so during that time I will experiment with the SDC, some of my VLF's, the ATX and for the most part behind my GPX.

P.S. Just for the record, the flagship GPX or whatever never came out in 2013, so all the haters that said "your the dealer that don't want to tell me, but rather try to sell me a GPX" can eat their words. I guess I'm right once again ... LOL :P

I think I might have to agree with you guys. It does not look like anything new on the horizon! Here's hoping that new SDC does something different, even if it is on small stuff. I reckon I can get a go on one when it comes out here in Aus. Eventually, bit long winded though.

The only thing I don't understand is why Minelab stop the SD model detector and waited so long before coming out with the SDC 2300.

The sales on the GPX was so good that they forgot that a mid-range detector was needed. Well until the ATX came out and then Minelab said we've been sitting on our butt too long.

I do hope this is a great detector and with a great price like the ATX. To be higher in price it will have to out shine the ATX by a large margin to warrant it.

That's my thinking and this is why I'll sit back until I hear on what Rob has to say about both.

Chuck Anders

From the first time I said about a ad in Lost Treasure by Minelab talking on the new detector coming but nothing else has been said. Each time I look every page to see if I can find anything on the SDC 2300. Like this afternoon my April issue of Lost Treasure came in the mail and like before nothing. Yes I did says April issue.

Chuck Anders

PS Garrett said on the back page that the ATX is Not a mid-range detector and it knows that some call it that.

Now you have the rest of the story.

If this machine is released with a hard wired coil there is the "containment" of a specialty "midrange" machine.
However seeing the Garret model with interchangeable coil sizes makes me think there HAS to be a discernable difference somewhere with the new Minelab model.
Or it will be a "tough" sell for them. Especially if the price is dramatically higher.

Frank C

If Minelab has a hardwired coil that would be like shooting yourself in the foot. Maybe where it would hurt more and that's in the pocketbook. The only thing that may save then and that's if it cost less than the ATX. I really don't see that would be. I hope it comes out with the AA not C's battery's.

Now if they being Minelab don't come out with what we've said maybe next time they will call us first. HaHa

Chuck Anders