Challenge Hunt with the SDC 2300

• Admin

Hello all,

Last weekend I was talking with a guy and he mentioned he hand placered a gulch and said it was beat up, not worth returning with a metal detector. I told him I could probably sneak a few small ones out, even though they placered it down to bedrock and worked with small searchcoils on the GPX detectors. It was more of a challenge to me and the SDC 2300, so I gave it a whirl. I didn't get anything real impressive, but keep in mind I forgot my headphones and had to listen to the wind, planes and the coil scrapping across the bedrock the entire day.

3.4 Dwt's worth of gold for about 4 hours of hunting a beat down spot. Not sure there is a such a spot to a Minelab SDC 2300! :o

post-2-0-77961600-1422932392_thumb.jpg post-2-0-36946300-1422932405_thumb.jpg

WTG on getting those nuggets Rob.

Man, if those guys left those bigger nuggets in the gulch they might

want to rethink how they are working it.

Tom H.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. When I showed up that morning, I didn't have my headphones and it was a bit windy out. I wanted to just head home, but figured I was there I need to give it a whirl. There was at least a half dozen small nugget (grain or under) I pushed around and couldn't locate them due to the windy conditions.

Steve - Ya, we talked about this spot a night or so prior. I didn't guess I would round up another 3 dwts from this spot, but then again the detector is amazing.

Mike - There are a few deep spots, so the GPZ might get lucky here at some point. Majority of the area is shallow, one reason I'm using the SDC.

Tom - It's actually not the way they are working it, it's the technology of the SDC able to target this type of gold much better. The larger pieces, over 1 Dwt each don't sound off very well at all on the GPX, but scream on my SDC 2300. Using the right detector for the right type of gold is the key in some spots. The gold is very crystalline in this areas and even rocky and porous.

Hi Rob I am a little surprised that you don't carry a small detectorist survival bag in your truck. ie headphones, cables, small parts etc... Nice gold by the way. When I am using my old out dated V-Sat machine once I have the target in my scoop I dump that into a small sampling bag I carry then pan that out later.

• Admin

Hey Way2cool,

I do have one, but it's more setup for the Minelab PI's. The SDC has a waterproof connector, so the headphones are not the same connection. I had the Black Widow's with me, but not the adapter from 1/4 to the SDC waterproof connector. I normally have at least 1-2 extra parts for most items that break in the field. This has saved me from going home a handful of times.

Gold Seeker, the guys were using detectors and hand placering the gulch. They have GPX 5000's and SD's. :ph34r:

hey rob,

im fixing to buy another detector and really love the 5000 i had bought from you before, although the sdc 2300 is proving to out hunt the gpx models for smaller gold. my concern would be missing the bigger nuggets at greater depth. i know the bigger targets are harder to find, but if you dont have the machine to pick them up they are even harder. i know no one wants to loose the smaller stuff as well, so i may be considering the bundle you have with both...but with this new gpz 7000 comming out soon, im inclined to wait for a few and see the results. im not in a huge hurry but i do want to get back out as soon as possible. has anyone found any nice sized gold at good depth with the sdc2300 that you know of??

john