The "Sunbaker Nugget(s)" you Find - Looking right back at you

• Admin

Hey Guys/Gals,

I posted about this years ago, but figuring it's just about prospecting season again here in Arizona, I thought I would start a new thread about Sunbakers, or nuggets you uncover looking back at you.  Technically, a "Sunbaker" is a nugget that is laying right on top of bedrock or even right on top of the soil, not requiring any movement of the ground to see it.  I have found hundreds of these nuggets, just laying right on bedrock after or even before a Winter or Monsoon storm, or even just laying on top of the ground in a hillside or bench patch.  It's always exciting to be walking up a new gulch or even working a hillside and get a target and look down, and there it is! 

Here are a few examples of pieces I have seen from blowing out a crack or even simply right on top of the ground.  I would love to see some of your pictures to get everyone excited about the prospecting season out here in the Southwest that is about to happen.  

Wishing you all a very successful 2019-2020 season.  If there is anything we can do to help, with detectors, gear or just general knowledge, we would love to help your success.  

Sunbaker1.jpg

Sunbaker2.jpg

Sunbaker3.jpg

• Like 3

Sunbakers are the best! Dad found on on accident when he was turning around to go back up a wash....detector lit up and he looked down and saw it. :)  I have found small ones. That first one is NICE!
Tom H.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These weren't exactly sun bakers, as they where laying on exposed bedrock that had recently had a large amount of water that had washed the fines away.  It's sort of hard to see, but these nuggets are laying under about an inch or two of still-standing (sort of merkey) water.  What was cool was that I actually didn't find them with my detector,............I just looked down and spied them with my eyes,.....YaHooo.  Gary  

3107-101413_LI (2).jpg

3107-101636.jpg

3107-101719 (2).jpg

SAM_0874.JPG

• Admin

Hey Fishing8046 - Great questions.  So many of the spots were really remote and virgin.  However, I have hunted areas hard and missed gold, or even returned after a big storm system like the Summer Monsoons or Winter storms.  These can remove large sections of bedrock and expose hidden gold nuggets.  

Many of them I heard a signal, looked down or keeled down and seen them before moving a speck of dirt.  

• Like 1

I havent found that many sunbakers but have found a few-The first one I ever found was right on a stretch of are bedrock I was trying to ground balance my beeper and couldnt get it to ground balance moved my coil and a nice 2 grammer was just sitting there in a crack-wish they could all be that easy-Nice gold guys 😎 Mike C...:ph34r:

Edited by GPX Power
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1