Good treasure stories?

Bob,

You are so right to recommend that people NOT hunt in a desolate area alone.

Hell, most people can barely handle being out of town At ALL here in LA...ha ha ha.

I look forward to meeting and learning from you. Maybe one of these days I can come on

down for one of your fast recons of the area so I can begin my education.

regards,

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey FlackMagnet,

Stop by anytime and I'll give you a fifty cent tour. Guess I should say don't come over now, the cotton-pickin weather can't decide what its going to do. Looks like another one is about to hit the coast.

Flak, did you ever get a map, or is there anyone around there that will sell maps for other states??

If you can't get one there go to or call Wide World of Maps in Phoenix. I have dealt with them for years and they never failed to have what I needed. They also have a selection of books, software, and GARMIN units, as well as compasses and a few other items.

The name of the map you need is Gunsight Canyon and if you want to look a little farther to the west, then look at Diamond Joe Peak 7.5 quad.

Its also nice to have a, what I call, base map. Thats what I get for doing my own thinking. Its actually called a Topo Map Index. When you look at it you can see exactly what map that you will need for whatever area your going to be in. Most states have one map that will cover the entire state. I'M thinking that Calif. will have at least two or maybe three. They run around three bucks or so. Think I gave three for this one last year. But worth every penny.

See ya already learned something. Boy education is expensive. Now lets see for breakfast.

8oz. steak, three eggs-overeasy, 2 slices toast & jelly with coffee

side order of biscuits and gravy with home fries

top this off with a slab of apple pie to go with the second cup of coffee.

Man I am liking this already, now lets see, for lunch hummmmmmm.........

Bob T. :rolleyes::lol:

Ok Bob T. the only thing worse than an old fart is an old desert fart. I think like you do but now and then one hard head has to say something to another hard head to just remind him to be careful.

Buddy58 just this a.m. sent me a topo 7.5 of Gunsite Canyon and boy is it great. Don't have to try to refold the damn thing. I'll try to get it posted, no guarantees.

Flak, Bob is right about the map place in Phoenix. I used to buy from them also, just love going in their store.

Folks you might want to visit with Buddy58 and find out where he's getting all this fantastic software for the topo's.

Your right Bob about the Eleanor saying, loved it.

I think that probably I was the first into Gunsite with a quad and I can imagine now how many others have found it's a good place to play.

Ok, now I'll try to post the topo.

I'll get Rob a set of mini-paddles for the small problems.

I gotta keep my big ones for all the thrills that are coming up...lol.

Thanks for the tips on topo's guys, actually

I have alot of Topo maps from my early dredging days as well as the ones I use now.

Also have the TOPO! National Geographic program

and a disk with Garmin's prorietary mapping program that I can download into my Rino 530 gps when the time comes.

There is also a really cool map store close by where I can make my own topo's using my own coordinates. anad I can print 'um on waterproof paper if I want.

Garimpo that map looks good, I'll get one soon and we can all start talking to each

other in coordinates...

Gotta get the kids off to school...now thats real work.

regards,

Hey bob anytime you would like some company let me know.I've been out of town

and haven't looked at the web in a week.I'm getting ready to go to world of maps in mesa i'll buy that area and around it. Not a newbie have spent years in the az

desert mostly hunting one thing or another.

Garimpo,

You may want to take a look at Topozone.com they have some free stuff as well as subscription stuff. Think the prices start at around $14.95 to $49.95 per year for overlays, 2-D and 3-D stuff as well as other programs that you can add on.

Another good one is www.igage.com you can purchase All Topo Arizona software. That will allow you to print out every topo in Ariz.. Another feature is that you can put in a GPS location and it will take you to that spot on the map.

You can also put in a Township and Range and it will do the same.

Yep, a hard head is a terrible thing to waste :rolleyes: a reminder, once in awhile never hurts anyone, thanks. Bob T.

Here's the "daddy".

I believe this one is still alive.

Question: if he struck you how high would he hit?

Judging by the size of that big boy and my personal experiences with rattlers, I'd say if he hit you at the knee it would shatter it and anywhere below the know the force of the strike along would break bones. On average, fangs on one that size would be close to an inch or more. I think the longest recorded eastern diamondback is right at 8 feet.

Bob

Hi all,

When I was in the military back in the 60's, one of my jobs was to retrieve aerial gunnery tow targets, which were large metallic things 16 feet long or so, and were towed by an aircraft, using a long cable fed out from a tow plane, off a large spool. Other planes shot a certain color tipped ammo at the target while it was being towed, and the pilots were rated by the number of hits they made by the number of colored holes found in the recovered target. The target was then supposed to be dropped in a specified area for scoring

Well, guess where they dropped the targets?? In a swamp area located on the base!

Nobody told us about the swamp rattlers, or alligators, or coral snakes that inhabited the area, OR how to protect ourselves, or what to do if we DID get bit.

The easiest way to get through the swamp was to wade through thigh high drain canals. What would give a guy a thrill, was to have unseen snake jump into the water out of the corner of your eye, then to emerge churning up the muddy water, right in front of you!

We cut our way through the swamp brush with machetes to reach the targets that didn't hit the drop zone, score them, then disassemble the whole target, and bring it back to be reused later on.

One day a guy was mowing the drop zone with a tractor and one of those flail type mowers..He saw a big swamp rattler ahead of him, and got off his tractor and lopped the snakes head off with a weed whip. The mower guy let me have the remains of the snake, and it was right at 20 inches around, and about 7 feet long. I still have some of the skin here somewhere. Most of it, I gave away to guys that wanted to make wallets.

Thought you might just like to know...

~LARGO~

This is the program for the aerial photo's I think it is better than Google earth :lol:

I will merge the 7.5 Topos with the air photos and see what I come up with

http://billfriedrich.tripod.com/

:D

Don I emailed you some maps but they came back as undeliverable everything o K down there?

Dang! All this neat stuff and I can't use it on my Mac.

Rats!!!!!

Good work!

thanks!

RSJ :rolleyes: