Good treasure stories?

Garimpo,

Yeah the feast or famine round is an interesting one. I have been doing it for 32 years now and I never get used to it, it's very schitzophrenic. People think that when you work in my field

you just live high on the hog, but really, when you amortize it all out, it's just average.

I think 'come fall, if my next job pans out, I'll be flush enough to meet you at the Phoenix airport and drive you out to where we're all waiting to start the hunt.

Looking forward to it.

regards

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Garimpo,

Well got up this morning with detector, GPS, camera and other gear packed and ready to go, looked out and was thick cloudy and looking much like rain so decided not to go, so will wait a couple of days to see what the weather is going to be like.

I have to travel miles & miles of dirt roads to get to where I was going to detect and just a little bit of rain and the road turns to snot.

Then I was going to go over to the short route [canyon] to get some pictures to post so the guys could see and get a little better idea of what the area looks like.

Maybe everyone will decide to buy a jackass instead of a fourwheeler. Dont make so much noise and are cheaper to operate and can carry just as much gear as a fourwheeler. And you dont have to have insurance or have a license to operate.

29prospector, thats what you need to drag those big ass rocks out of your hole :unsure: . Bob T.

Hey Garimpo,

Most of the snowbirds usually dont come until in the late, late fall.

Can't really comment much on the snow as we just dont have much here. Think in all the years that I have been comming to and living here that I have saw a very tiny bit on the mountain peaks on two occasions and that lasted maybe a few hours.

I really hate that, but then someone has to suffer. :o:lol: Bob T.

Bob T. sure know about the "road snot". Was in new territory one day down here and had to navigate 40 miles of 4x4, buried the mother up to the axels 1/2 mile from destination. Good thing a tractor was only about 200 yrds behind me.

Don't blame you for waiting, in AZ if it's raining it's time to celebrate.

Phoenix? KA-THUNK.

Where's my 1968 road atlas.

Screw that, almost forgot about Google Earth!!

So, Bob that is the Dowie that I heard mentioned when those tales

of "the good years' of prospecting were being told?

Now maybe the next period of good years is starting...(fingers crossed)

(Did you read about Mick's wife scoring a nugget her first time out?

There's a good beginning into a husband/ wife detecting team).

RJ, any pointers on the Pinto Placer area for us "newcomers"?

Flak,

Yes thats the same person. I wished that I had met the man. My father knew him well. We were still hard rock mine in the 80's so didn't have much time for placer.

I did read Mick's post, good for her. Now just a few more so as not to get discouaged. I may have to take a trip with you and Denny down to the Pinto Placers. I think I know them by a different name.

Bob

Flak,

Yes thats the same person. I wished that I had met the man. My father knew him well. We were still hard rock mine in the 80's so didn't have much time for placer.

I did read Mick's post, good for her. Now just a few more so as not to get discouaged. I may have to take a trip with you and Denny down to the Pinto Placers. I think I know them by a different name.

Bob

29 prospector there is a wash you should drywash it would go quick especially if there was a few in the team.i figure a 2 day haul would put a 1/4 to 1/2 oz in everyones poke.But you never know till it pan,s out B)

Colorado Bob, if you get into the windmill/corral area be sure to watch every step because the rattle snakes there will curl up in a deep cow track and just wait for someone or something to come by and then nail you. EVERY STEP!

Yea Garimpo,

Know what you mean. I have a pair of those green things, same ones that you have, the Wal-Mart specials, have had them several years and they been through about everything and have not failed me yet.

I never leave home without them, winter or summer. If its not the snakes its the cat-claw and other things that will get you. I even wear them when I ride my Honda 110 bike. Its wonderful to go through the cactus fields and feel them hitting you on the legs but nothing goes through, love the green ones. :) Bob T.

Good for you Bob T., if I don't have my "green things" I don't get out of the P/U. Of the three times I've been hit by snakes, the last two times I had the "greenies" on. The last time was from the side and about 6" below my right knee.

Like you say thorns, cat-claw and just cactus swipes just roll off.

The ones I'm using now are about 10 yrs. old and they see a lot of action, so they do last.

29 prospector there is a wash you should drywash it would go quick especially if there was a few in the team.i figure a 2 day haul would put a 1/4 to 1/2 oz in everyones poke.But you never know till it pan,s out B)

Denny, I'm game for a good work out. Show me the wash and I'll look it over and you guys with those deep seeking MD's of gold location, can scan the area and between all of us we should be able to find something. :lol:

Bob B)

Good Saturday morning ya'll. It's 0800 here and in AZ it's 0300 I think.

I'm having my third cup of roasted Brazilian coffee bean coffee. Turbo charged yes! :P

Reminds me of the time a guy(name withheld) goes to Israel to do a little beeping for gold. He takes his wife and mother-in-law with him and while there the mother-in-law dies. The Jewish undertaker tells the guy that he can bury her there for $1500.00 or ship her back to the states and it will cost $5,000.00, what does he want to do?

The guy thinks for a few seconds and then tells the undertaker to ship her back to the States. The undertaker ask why with all the expense? :unsure:

The guy says that 2,000 years ago a man died there and after three days he rose up and I don't want to take any chances that'll happen again. ;)

Goooooood coffee

Now seriously about the passport stuff. It is the only true identification that you have of what country your a citizen of. If you put one foot out of the USA have your passport with you. When you get to your destination BE SURE to resister with the American Embassy or Consulate in that country, get the phone number before you leave and use it on the day of your arrival. Even if it's just Canada or Mexico, with the global situation as it is you never know. Then if the fertilizer hits the ventilator maybe you'll get some assistance. (MAYBE)

Whew! That's heavy fertilizer, going for another re-fill. :blink:

Whew!! Garimpo, don't know if its the cabin fever or the coffee, maybe the combo.

Were going to have to get you out of the house. Grab that detector and pick, the hell with the road snot.

If that coffee is anything like the PR [Puerto Rico] coffee it will curl the old tongue.

Been there and done that. That stuff is coal black and thick, they usually cut it with a little milk. About 50/50.

One cup of that stuff would make about five good old state-side cups.

Had some friends up, awhile back. Got up one morning and told them to make the coffee, big mistake. When I looked it was already too late. They had the pot made and had used at least a half pound to make one pot. Hell I couldnt drink it, guess I could have scooped it up with a spoon and eat it. :angry: Bob T.

Took A trip here some pictures 56k warning

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e16/just.../Picture030.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e16/just.../Picture002.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e16/just.../Picture014.jpg

no snakes out some snow flakes in the air does look like ruff country and not many people went 125 miles on dirt roads saw nobody.back way to Alamo LAKE

then to Yucca FORD proving grounds say alot of what it think was quartz white and some almost fire red colored could see through took some samples from some washes that crossed the road will see what i find. Any body need a ride

im not sure what i'm looking for

just-john, must have been an interesting drive if you took the Chicken Springs road out of Wikieup over to Yucca.

The road to the dry camp is just North of Wikieup, I show it in the post from Google Earth. I think it's about 3 miles North of Wikieup, it's where the red dots stop in the pic. If you look at the pic put your enlargement scale at 150% and you'll see the road going to the left.

Follow that road about 8-9 miles, where the red dots stop, then you go right, bad trail.

You really need Google Earth, a GPS and several topo maps of the area, 1:24,000 is perfect.

What your looking for is a canyon that has a lot of pictographs cut into the rocks.

Don't go alone!!

Several of the guys on this forum are planning a trip into the area this fall. Believe me when I say go as a group.

Morning Garimpo,

The first picture is about 1/2 mi. off the Hwy. looking west, on the gravel road. The first part of the rd. has some very deep and loose sand, but not bad if you get a run at it. Rest of rd. is in great shape. Had a little trouble finding it at first. Missed it two times.

The picture with the washed out road is about 8.3 mi. in. [These are the pictures that I posted in the other thread] Its the first place I checked, but just didnt look right. Its only about 1/4 mi. down to the stream here, and very rough. The two dogs or four wheeler only.

About a mile farther on I found the large flat area. Probably enough room for 10 trucks or so. Looks like its been graded. Having never been in the short route before, the mental picture, one has from written directions is somewhat different that the actual terrain.

The quartz outcroping threw me, I thought that it was a big ledge off the side of the road or something. But anyway I found it, I guess, sticking out of the top of a hill, if thats the one?

The canyon, in front of the truck is a lot deeper and wider than it looks in the picture. I walked the road down, about 1/2 mile. You could drive a small 4 wheel truck in for a ways but there is a bad spot near the bottom.

I'm guessing that one must follow the road up and over the next ridge that you see in the photo?? I didnt make it to the dry camp as the whole affair was around a 375 mi. round trip for me, so was way short on time. Its not a one or two day trip unless your on a recon trip.

First photo shows why there is water in the creek. Second photo is of a large rock that maybe had the eagle head, dont know?? Third is of one of the rock monument, also found the second but didnt have time to look for more.

Morning Garimpo,

The first picture is about 1/2 mi. off the Hwy. looking west, on the gravel road. The first part of the rd. has some very deep and loose sand, but not bad if you get a run at it. Rest of rd. is in great shape. Had a little trouble finding it at first. Missed it two times.I remember the spot of loose sand, seems like it was about a 1/4 mile long.

The picture with the washed out road is about 8.3 mi. in. [These are the pictures that I posted in the other thread] Its the first place I checked, but just didnt look right. Its only about 1/4 mi. down to the stream here, and very rough. The two dogs or four wheeler only.

About a mile farther on I found the large flat area. Probably enough room for 10 trucks or so. Looks like its been graded. Having never been in the short route before, the mental picture, one has from written directions is somewhat different that the actual terrain. It possible that someone graded the spot, when I was there it wasn't a very large area but ok for a couple of campers.

The quartz outcroping threw me, I thought that it was a big ledge off the side of the road or something. But anyway I found it, I guess, sticking out of the top of a hill, if thats the one?Yea, only big outcropping of quartz that I know of. A friend said he beeped it once but found nothing.

The canyon, in front of the truck is a lot deeper and wider than it looks in the picture. I walked the road down, about 1/2 mile. You could drive a small 4 wheel truck in for a ways but there is a bad spot near the bottom.

I'm guessing that one must follow the road up and over the next ridge that you see in the photo?? I didnt make it to the dry camp as the whole affair was around a 375 mi. round trip for me, so was way short on time. Its not a one or two day trip unless your on a recon trip.After the bad spot at the bottom is where you were at and then like you say it's quad or by foot the rest of the way in. The rock that had the eagle head is the second batch of large rocks in the background. I'm glad to see that the rock marker is still standing.

First photo shows why there is water in the creek. Second photo is of a large rock that maybe had the eagle head, dont know??  Third is of one of the rock monument, also found the second but didnt have time to look for more.

For a short period of time you found everything I mentioned and then some.

Was this in Wikieup, when you were there?? I don't remember it being there.

A little white stuff on the mountains.

When I was there Bob there was a 7-11 type store on the West side of the Hgy. and the restaurant/souvenir shop was on the East side of the Hgy. That building looks new and wasn't there when I was.

Yea Garimpo,

Didnt have much time so was traveling light and fast to cover as much as I could. Not even a detector this time, just my piece, a canteen of water, a couple of snacks, camera and of course the green things, but didnt see even one, probably too cool for them.

Hey FlackMagnet, better get those wraparound things out and dust them off, cause as it warms up, ol slim will be out in numbers.

Picture with truck was the first place that I stopped to check out, wasnt right. The other picture is of a turtle without legs. :unsure:;) Bob T.

Hey Flack, quit hinting around, NO, your not going to ride on my shoulders.

Did you look at the turtle photo real close? Been waiting for someone to make a comment on the picture but no one has. Just trying to see how observing everyone was. Take another look, real close??? B)<_<:huh:

Buddy 58,

Welcom aboard. That picture looks good. Now, what is it ;) . Looks like a snicker bar that was left in the sun to long. Bet its a lot harder than that, probably turn your teeth yellow :huh: . Bob T.