Good treasure stories?

Hi Garimpo,

I was looking at the area on Google Earth.

Did the man who told you about this site ever tell you

why he thought the spanish chose this site? It is so remote

and not really near anywhere...that may have been enough

reason initself, but I am curious is there were any other reasons.

best,

Flak,

What are the coornates for this outing? Apox. location? I would like to look it over some.

Bob

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll pipe in Bob, the cordinates to Wikieup are 34D42.325'N 113D36.728'W

It is on Hwy 93,if you take the 40 past Kingman(east) take the 93 off ramp south you will find it09424450_a.jpg

Heres a picture of Big Sandy Creek it is in the area :D

Thanks Buddy58. I'm trying to get some kind of feel for what we will be up against. Like to look things over ahead of time.

Bob

29 Bob, the Big Sandy pic is about 8 mi. to far East of Gunsite Canyon.

Buddy58 has a great topo package of software and I'm working with him now trying to center the area your asking about. He's got the area but not exactly centered.

When he gets it I'll see if he'll post it here.

Thanks everybody for asking questions and the interest.

Hey guys, Buddy58 sent me a fantastic pic of the area in the form of a topo.

I've tried to get the pic posted here out of my email program(outlook express) but so far no luck.

29Bob, I tried to email you the pic, don';t know if it went thru or not.

Boy Back in 1976 I was driving to phoenix, and an altanator went out on my old 67 ford pick up, I limped it into Wicki up and there was an old guy there that ran the little store, he did not have any parts, but had a bone yard full of old trucks and cars, I had tools, he said if you can find something that will work for you, you can have it for $10.00, I looked and looked, finally I found one that I had to make fit. I got to pheonix alright. Grubstake

Hey Garimpo,

Glad you got the map. I was up in that area again and found some things but not on the gunsight side. You guys look at that map well, cause you will need it, even then it is a rats a@@.

Garimpo, don't know if you remember the extent of diggings or tunnels or the number that you found. Or even how hard you looked, but so far I have located eight in the area. Some in the canyon and some almost in it. Some are very hard to locate.

Have to really take your time and watch for every small detail.

Had more time on this last one, almost, and then the friggin rains came so back in Quartzsite now. Good shower, good meal, good nights sleep, may go again in the morning. Looks like they are talking rain again for that area. Will have to see what it looks like early. Kind of nippy in the back of that truck. Nothing a bowl of oats and a little spam wont take care of.

Bob T.

Bob T. sounds like you've been really busy. Hope your not going in there alone and just trusting "lady luck".

Most of my time there was in Gunsite Canyon in the area of the pictographs.

I did find some tunnels just North of the dry camp and then did some exploring to the West of the dry camp, Up canyon and there are also some interesting things there.

Sorry that didn't work out.

post-719-1142941944_thumb.jpg

Garimpo, would you take a marker in your paint program and outline the search area

as you see it?

I am following Colo. Bob's recon's with interest.

Thankyou Bob...

In the next day or so, am going to get some 7.5 topo's of the area and begin

to learn it better from a closer angle than Google Earth and the others can provide.

RSJ, did you have any better luck downloading with Camino? It's a free download and I think it runs

faster and better than Safari.

Garimpo it looks like we've caught your rainy season, it's pouring in lots of places where

rain has been a rarity.

regards,

Flak, I'm trying, it's going to be terrible.

It worked, can't believe it.

The red x at the left is the dry camp, red x at the right is the windmill and water.

Red arrow is the pictographs.

Garimpo, would you take a marker in your paint program and outline the search area

as you see it?

I am following Colo. Bob's recon's with interest.

Thankyou Bob...

In the next day or so, am going to get some 7.5 topo's of the area and begin

to learn it better from a closer angle than Google Earth and the others can provide.

RSJ, did you have any better luck downloading with Camino? It's a free download and I think it runs

faster and better than Safari.

Garimpo it looks like we've caught your rainy season, it's pouring in lots of places where

rain has been a rarity.

regards,

I checked out that Camino, but can't use it. I'm running OS9 on my Mac. Camino requires OS10 and newer. I think I need a new computer.

Jim

Hey Garimpo,

Well didn't make it out today. Heavy thick clouds this morning, temp 52deg. with the wind blowing hard all day. Tomorrow is another day I guess, we will see.

I forgot to mention something else that I found. It was a very old and well used trail that goes into the canyon from another area. Actually it was an in and out trail.

Yes I do go in there alone, and have on various occasions. The last three trips are the first time that I have been back to the area since the late 90's and early 2000. I find the area hasnt changed much except that some of the old trails have opened up a little, due to more quad traffic in the area. Now Im not saying that you will see a lot of people in a day. For instance, I was in there the other day all day long and did not leave until late in the evening and did not see even one person, the whole trip.

Garimpo, I have way over twenty years expierence working in the deserts and canyons of AZ., NM., and CA., as well as many years in the mountains of CO..

Never kept track but problbly 60% of that time was spent working alone.

So you see, I am no neophyte when it comes to this type of travel, work or living conditions. And yes I have worked areas a lot worse than the canyon.

I'm not telling the newbies to throw on a canteen of water, put a bag of Ding Dongs in their pouch and head out alone for the desert. That would be really dumb and probably the last time you would ever be seen.

If you want to try the romance of looking for gold in the desert, [ and I'm not talking about parking the car and taking a 30min. hike and thinking your roughing it] by hiking for miles into rugged terrain, or the romance of Treasure Hunting, where you may be out for many days, then by all means do it.

But go with someone and get a little expierence, better yet go with someone and get a whole lot of expierence.

Yea, I know, people will say, well you do it, and yet you say its dumb, and it is.

But thats a little different, I have the experience, most of you don't, and as I said before, I'm no neophyte, I didnt just start yesterday, I have worked like that, off and on most of my adult life and thats the way I love to work, besides I'm too old, hard headed and set in my ways to change now.

Read something the other day and if I remember right it was written by Elleanor Roosevelt, kind of stuck in my mind, went something like this:

Yesterday in history, tomorrow is a mystery. and today is a gift; thats why they call it the present."

Bob T.