Good treasure stories?

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well now that Digger Bob on the nuggetshooter forum has shown us what we are after. We just need to get our act together and go after it.

Was that an old Garrett or D-TEX detector in that photo?

Lets see a head count now:

1-Flakmagnet

2-Frosty

3-ColoradoBob

4-29prospector

5-RattlesnakeJim

6-Kevin

7-whats4supper

8-just_john

goldman are you in?

who's doing the planning?

What can each of us contribute? knowledge, equipment, ???????

Heres' what I've got:1990 4x4 suburban, 1971 4x4 scout, horse and burro with 2 horse trailer, utility trailer

Might be able to get a 4 wheeler on loan

tents, camping gear out the kazzoo

GP3000 & asst coils

several other vlfs & coils

Rattlesnake Jim :rolleyes:

Cold, who said cold? Or was it snow, what 2", 4", 6" a foot, that aint snow, this is SNOW. Had my mountain under construction. Yep thats a full sized pickem-up with camper shell sitting under the snow.

No.2 pic. I'm getting ready to go nuggetshooting, no one told me anything about any detector. Wasn't able to hit-em to well, must be the eyesight.

Actually I was on my way to my dredge. Had quiet a setup. Developed a brand new system that I kept top secret for a long time. Worked kind of on a floatation and suspension system also with a final cleaning and separation system. The surface gold would stay in the compacted snow so was easy to pick up, but I also dredged up the first foot of dirt and rock along with the snow, the snow being slick kept me from getting any plugups, except when I ate a lot of cheese.

Anyway this entire mixture was then blown into a header box where a classifier seperated the rock and dirt from the gold and snow and shot it out the side into a tail pile. At this point the snow with the gold was blown into another mixer where the snow went back into light fluffy state with the gold still in it, while at the same time being cleaned and in the final stage the snow and gold is blown down through three classifiers and on through the box where the snow is dispersed much like a snow blower does.

In this final stage the gold has been cleaned and sized into three groups, snall, medium, and large. I really like this as there is no water no dirt no dust no muss no fuss just clean sized gold.

As you can see in the next picture. Bob T.

Yeah...

(scrabbling around on the floor under the computer desk for the paddles)

KA-THUNK!

Darn it's gonna take two...

KA-THUNK

there that's better...

Hey Flak, I can always count on you for a good laugh, this one sure did it.

Don't look at Colorado Bob's post with out your long johns and a big coat. Ain't been that cold since I landed in OKC last Feb. 05 in a blinding snow storm. Damn near didn't get off the plane.

Rattlesnake Jim you've got the right idea, somebody take charge. If possible you'll sure need a quad if you like to camp where there's water.

Bob T. on the rock in the canyon with all the pictographs, if your standing facing the rock, look to your right up high and you'll see a scorpion carved in the rock face.

Sure hope no one has removed him.

Hey Garimpo,

Hope your right about no one removing anything, makes things very hard if not impossible.

Had the same thing happen in CO., but got lucky and took a bunch of photos and some hand drawings along with all the compass readings necessary, before some ass destroyed some of the markings.

Hope you dry out a little bit, want to see some more gold.

Happy dry spell. Bob T.

Has anybody had any luck on organizing this canyon treasure hunt at Wikieup or is it just going to die on the vine?

Seems like the list was going pretty good. How many campers, tents, quads, cooks, satellite phones, porta-potties or country crapping, GPR's, detectors with big coils, laptops with cell phone hook ups.

The list for equipment is long, I'll let it rest for now.

Howdy garimpo!

It seems like everyone just wanted to talk about it, doesn't it?

Everyone just keeps beating around the bush and changing the subject.

Guess I can put together my own trip with a couple of partners here.

It will probably have to wait until this fall as I've got a million irons in the fire at the moment.

If anyone is really interested my email is [email protected]

Best wishes!

Rattlesnake jim

That's the way things go RJ. That's why I ended up in that canyon so many times alone. Just don't go in there alone, it's not the smart thing to do.

There's a few details that I haven't covered yet. Like when I got shot at three times. First two I was in the canyon where the pictographs are, only had a side arm with me so figured better to stay mobil than get pinned down. The last time I was in camp at the wind mill, mistake on their part this time. It seems they didn't want to stay around for another 30 rd. clip from a Chinese AK47. After that no more problems.

RJ, Garimpo,

For me, for now, work has interveined. It came up out of nowhere (as it usually does). I work as a

"freelance" person, so I pretty much have to jump when the call comes.

I will unfortunately "just have to talk about it" for now.

If it were put together for later in the year, it would make my chances better to participate.

I also agree that if it is put off too long, it will fade.

I believe it is a worthy undertaking with a number of details that need to be worked out.

I would be happy to help out in any way that I could.

That's the way things go RJ. That's why I ended up in that canyon so many times alone. Just don't go in there alone, it's not the smart thing to do.

There's a few details that I haven't covered yet. Like when I got shot at three times. First two I was in the canyon where the pictographs are, only had a side arm with me so figured better to stay mobil than get pinned down. The last time I was in camp at the wind mill, mistake on their part this time. It seems they didn't want to stay around for another 30 rd. clip from a Chinese AK47. After that no more problems.

Yep, I've had that problem before myself out in the Mojave when I was alone. I allways carry at least a rifle and pistol as a minimum. I try not to go alone anymore in the more remote areas.

RJ, Garimpo,

For me, for now, work has interveined. It came up out of nowhere (as it usually does). I work as a

"freelance" person, so I pretty much have to jump when the call comes.

I will unfortunately "just have to talk about it" for now.

If it were put together for later in the year, it would make my chances better to participate.

I also agree that if it is put off too long, it will fade.

I believe it is a worthy undertaking with a number of details that need to be worked out.

I would be happy to help out in any way that I could.

I hear you Flak, I'm real busy right now myself.

This fall is best for me too.

I hear you Flak, I'm real busy right now myself.

This fall is best for me too.

Good evening RJ. This fall looks good for me. Like I siad before, I'll take over the meal planning and the cooking. I've got 2 detectors, VLF not PI's but they do find gold. Toyota 4x4 with a shell. Keeps thigs dry, MP-3 Player with speakers and a very good portable shitter with book rake. :lol:

Bob B)

I havent been over there for several years, so dont know what the roads may be like.

I will be near that area tomorrow or Tue. working on a project [ not that thing] and if I have any extra time will drive over there and take a looksee at the roads.

Probably take an hour or so to get there from where I will be. We will see what kind of time I have to spare.

If I do make it over I will try to grab a couple of Pic's. to post.

Got a new 14" mono from Rob so got to shake it out a little bit, drag it around the rocks to get the shine off. Should have had him to send me an E-mono also, but didnt so will make this do. Bob T.

Good evening RJ. This fall looks good for me. Like I siad before, I'll take over the meal planning and the cooking. I've got 2 detectors, VLF not PI's but they do find gold. Toyota 4x4 with a shell. Keeps thigs dry, MP-3 Player with speakers and a very good portable shitter with book rake. :lol:

Bob B)

Sounds good 29 prospector Bob.

Then this fall it is.

You ever run into ole Dowie Critenton (spelling) around that Dale district?

I used to nugget hunt there around pinto basin.

RSJ

I havent been over there for several years, so dont know what the roads may be like.

I will be near that area tomorrow or Tue. working on a project [ not that thing] and if I have any extra time will drive over there and take a looksee at the roads.

Probably take an hour or so to get there from where I will be. We will see what kind of time I have to spare.

If I do make it over I will try to grab a couple of Pic's. to post. 

Got a new 14" mono from Rob so got to shake it out a little bit, drag it around the rocks to get the shine off. Should have had him to send me an E-mono also, but didnt so will make this do.    Bob T.

Colorado bob that would be great to get a recon of the roads.

Look forward to hearing from you. Have a safe trip.

RSJ

Garimpo,

I believe that the canyon over there where the water tanks were/are, is Gunsight Canyon. Thats is some rough country over there after you go on for a couple of miles. There was an old road/trail that goes on for a couple of miles and then I think that it petered out if I remember right. Not sure if it goes around to the canyon or not but seems like it kinda headed in that direction.

Dont think I was ever on the short route, just don't remember, will try to take a look. Bob T.

Sounds good 29 prospector Bob.

Then this fall it is.

You ever run into ole Dowie Critenton (spelling) around that Dale district?

I used to nugget hunt there around pinto basin.

RSJ

RJ, I never met the gentleman. My father knew him. My partner, Doc Smeton, drywashed with Dowie for a few years before he died. How long were you out here?

Bob

So, Bob that is the Dowie that I heard mentioned when those tales

of "the good years' of prospecting were being told?

Now maybe the next period of good years is starting...(fingers crossed)

(Did you read about Mick's wife scoring a nugget her first time out?

There's a good beginning into a husband/ wife detecting team).

RJ, any pointers on the Pinto Placer area for us "newcomers"?

I got a question for you AZ folks. How do you tell when it's the "fall" time of year?

When you see snow in the mountains? Or when the "snow birds" take roost in Quartzite?

Fall is sounding good to me too. I'll have my fingers crossed and maybe a fall trip to the USA would just the thing. Can't say for sure now.

Bob T. your alright, I've been racking my brain trying to think of the name of they canyon and you knew it all along, Gun Sight Canyon. Thanks for jarring the old grey matter. Your also right about the road/trail going past the windmill but before I got there I guess the rancher that owns the place dozed up a berm to keep the corrals and windmill area dry and only a quad could go past there up canyon. Like you said the trail petered out about a 1/4 mile past the camp area and it got to rough for even quads. That's why I went high to the top of the ridges, high ground is also better for other reasons. If you find the short route in I don't think you'll be able to make it in a 4x4 P/U. It's about a mile from the road to the camp. One of "heybeerman"s converted Jeeps would be a breeze.

Flak, don't apologize for making a living, your a good family man and the family and the living always should come first.

BTW- I "freelanced" for about 15 yrs. also. It can be feast or famine.

29 Bob, RSJ and anybody else interested keep the faith and in the meantime get all the info you can on reading rock carvings. Spanish and Indian.