Good treasure stories?

uuuhhhhh

aarrrgggggg...

What?

Wait a minute,

Where am I?

oh I remember now, yeah there's my computer, it's still on,

man I must have passed out or something,

lets see, what was I doing...what's that picture on the screen?

Oh it's not gold?

whew...for a minute there I thought...

(I've actually been out of town and missed those posts until tonight...)

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colorado Bob,

Just to put your mind at ease; there is no way I would even think about going to that

area unless I had plenty of support and lots of prep time. Even though I don't know the

area, it is plain from the google-views that it is not for the uninitiated or the enexperienced.

I appreciate your heads up and agree with you wholeheartedly.

For the record, my "click click" was a joke in reference to all those lurkers who are mining these forums for possibilities, hoping to cut their research time out and jump to chase. This topic would be a pretty big leap into the unknown for most in my opinion.

regards,

Hi Bob T. and Flak. Glad to see you made it back ok.

Your both right, that is one unfriendly canyon and no other people there for help.

A couple of time while camped there at different intervals I would see cowboys on their horses with dogs in sacks tied to the saddles. They were lion hunting. They would ride the canyons until they found tracks then let the dogs loose.

All the times I was there I always had with me two quads, GPS, satellite phone, side arm, leg protectors and lots and lots of water. Once I ran out of water and thought I was done for, not a good feeling.

Flak, you were talking about people just jumping in without planning. That happened while I was there. Some people came in there and carried all their supplies in by hand. They even brought in two gas powered generators for their air chisels. They thought the Spanish would bury gold beneath a hugh slab of rock. So for about a month or more they chiseled out a large hole in the rock on the North side of the canyon.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a genius by any way shape or form but I do know that if the Spanish or anybody else for that matter, buried something in a large rock, why would it be necessary for me to cut a hole in that rock that you could drop a pick-up into? :huh:

Bob T. those black shorts are the only thing that I had that was black, I don't wear blue ones. ;)

I am always interested to hear what people think the Spanish did with their treasure's that are

supposedly buried...were they tricky, yes.

Does anyone know a book that can explain why the Spanish buried so much and took such great pains to do it..the southwest was such a depopulated place in terms of what we know now, just always wonder why they went to such great lengths to hide things(other than the obvious; they didn't want anyone to find it...lol).

Flak, good question about the Spanish hiding things.

Ole Charlie said that he found in his research where the king of Spain at that time, don't remember what year it was, was having all the Spanish priest in the New World (USA) arrested for not paying their share of their proceeds from the mining.

Somehow word reached the Padres that the troops were coming and that's when they decided to bury everything and return for it later.

A short time later the troops did arrive and the Padres were only allowed to take with them only their clothes.

Upon Arriving back in Spain the king put them all on an island and kept them there in exile for 70 years. That pretty well took care of any one that had been in the New World previously.

Another little quirk the Padres adhered to was when hiding anything they weren't allowed to dig the hole for the hiding place no deeper than if the king were to stand in the hole he had to be able to see out. He was only about 5'5" tall. So standing in a hole for him to look out of would have to be around 5' deep.

That is also the size of the hole that I found in the North side of the canyon. Empty of course.

Hi Flak, Bob T. and folks. Just to add a little more about some signs that are in this canyon.

From the flat spot where you should offload your quads, you immediately descend down a fairly steep slope into a ravine at the bottom, I never saw water in it but from the looks of the rocks it would not be a good place to be in a heavy rain.

Immediately after crossing the dry stream bed the road gets very narrow and almost impassable due to wash outs and some body tumbling large rocks in the road from above. Nearly every time I went in at that location I had to spent an hour or so moving rocks and moving enough dirt to give the quad some footing.

Soon as you get past that point the road start winding upward out of that canyon. At the top or just prior to the top, on your left is a large rock formation, one of several actually, that at one time had a eagles head on it. Some one went in there and dynamited the eagle head off, for a long time black powder marks could be seen on the blank wall, it's about 100 yds. to the left.

Then just over that first ridge, again on the left is a very old prospector rock mound or claim marker.

From there it's mostly down hill to the dry camp area.

As you descend into the canyon you'll see a very large mountain on your right. At the very top and on the north end of this mountain is also another eagle head.

This eagle is really large and can be seen for miles before getting to the flat spot that is now behind you. Actually about half way there from Wikieup, early in the AM it's really visible. He's looking North or Northeast.

I never got all the way up to him because of too many rocks and too many snakes. I figured being alone wasn't a good time to get snake bit and at least an hour back to the truck or quad.

Once in the canyon and just a short distance from the large rock with the pictographs, is another eagle head that has been blasted off. This one is laying in the floor of the canyon which is very narrow at this point. The last time I saw him some one had turned the rock upside down so the eagle head is on the bottom.

Coming up, Leslie and Rod's love altar.

It's a shame that folks have to ruin the ancient sites, like Bob said I hope they got snake bit & more then once. I still say we get this forum group together & see if we can find that buried treasure :) Garimpo has lead us to the watering hole now we just have to utilize the info. & when we find it give him a cut for his help in locating it ;) I'm game. keep on beeping B) - Frosty

Hey Frosty,

I'm not greedy, and all for giving the Garimpo a slice of the pie.

Maybe we can get Flack to join in, how bout it Flack???

Here is the plan, we will go up there, set up camp, [after we get all the snakes cleared out] look around a bit, prospect a bit, treasure hunt a lot, take a lot of pictures of all the fun we are having, and then post them so the Garimpo can see them.

Now after we find the cache it will be required that the Garimpo return to collect his big ol slice of the pie.

That should bring him back, what do think??? ;):lol:

Bob T.

Hey Bob,

I'm all for it :) just say the word & I'm there (as fast as I can get there from CO.)

I would think after garimpo sees the great time we're having from the pics he would just venture north & we wouldn't have to send for him. Maybe we could place a few banana trees or bananas in the pic to entice him & make him feel more at home :rolleyes: . Keep on beeping B) - frosty

Co. Bob and Frosty,

Lets open this one up alittle. I am sure there are

a few other people looking in on this discussion.

How 'bout it folks? Thoughts? suggestions?

anyone in for a forum-wide treasure hunt?

More fun to talk about than do?

I'm open to giving it a try, with the right amount of right people and

planning, planning, planning.

Way to go Flak!!

Somebody there needs to lead the charge.

Just remember, the entire area is rugged. The treasure canyon is big, rugged and is going to require a lot of hard and some times dangerous work.

Most people that are retired and doing this type of activity for a hobby just don't have what it takes to jump into something like this.

Desert people that have been detecting and prospecting in the desert for years are far more prepared and have experiences that can't be got from a book.

Whew! I'm scaring myself.

Well, I suppose you guys need another partner or so to make a go of this adventure. Just remember the movie "TREASURE of SIERRA MADRE" with Humphrey Bogart!

I'm a desert rat that's used detectors for 40 years and caught a fair number of Buzztails.

I'd be interested to take a look just for grins! :o

Hey Jim,

Roswell huh, hummmmm. You don't see lights are have visions, now, do you?? ;):lol: ..

I'm based over in Quartzsite, Az.. Have done some work in the past up in the Farmington and Aztec area. Am also looking into some things over in the Pie Town, Datil area, if you know where that is located. Bob T.