Good treasure stories?

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Co. Bob and Frosty,

Lets open this one up alittle. I am sure there are

a few other people looking in on this discussion.

How 'bout it folks? Thoughts? suggestions?

anyone in for a forum-wide treasure hunt?

More fun to talk about than do?

I'm open to giving it a try, with the right amount of right people and

planning, planning, planning.

OK Flak,

You got my blood going. Bad back, 2 new knees hell I'll try anything at least once. :blink: Besides, You will need a good camp cook and that I can handle. Got one hella of good recipe for rattlesnake. :lol:

Bob

LOL 29Bob...

Colorado Bob and Frosty (and of course Garimpo who I always think is looking over my shoulder as I write),

I would be naive to think I could do more on this expedition than be a participant...I hope I have not given the impression that I am some kinda back country Kit Carson. However I do think that after working fifty miles away from land while diving on a reef in the middle of the ocean where if you go overboard the next stop is Portugal - and knowing that working out in the middle of the Dale if you have a problem, you better also have the solution - and spending five summers working in many weird and fairly remote areas of the mother lode while dredging at least qualifies me to see if we can marshall support...lol.

There are obviously many more qualified people with direct experience of the area in question and I am sure they will be quick to add to our knowledge and correct any goofy assumptions.

I'm keenly aware that sitting in the comfort of the computer room and looking at maps while reading Garimpo's graphic descriptions has little bearing on the reality of actually DOING IT.

That being said, it sounds really interesting.

best,

Damn!! Looks like I really stirred up a hornets nest. Didn't realize there were that many crazy folks out there, crazy to have fun that is.

Flak Kit Jacquie Magnet way to go. Don't worry you'll be fine. Anybody that has survived Capt. Nemo dives, wild Indian attacks and Tijuana brothels is a stand up guy.

Bob T. I would love to be there but I'm trying to buy my wife her first house and she has just started having 20,000.00 in dental work done. In fact I had planned on come up in May but now have to cancel that.

Can't go wrong with fresh rattle snake salad.

Hey Jim,

Roswell huh, hummmmm.  You don't see lights are have visions, now, do you?? ;)  :lol: ..

I'm based over in Quartzsite, Az.. Have done some work in the past up in the Farmington and Aztec area. Am also looking into some things over in the Pie Town, Datil area, if you know where that is located. Bob T.

Bob, I found some nice nuggets at quartzite in the old days with an old Garrett. It's been a few years since I been there. Yes, I know where Pie Town and Datil are. Sounds like your looking for the "Lost Adams"? :unsure:

Best wishes for golden days!

Rattlesnake Jim

Hey Garimpo,

Man is dental work that high down there? Took the bride to Mexico last winter to get her dental work done, had a really great lady dentist.

She had around four thousand five hundred dollars worth of work done, [state side prices] and it cost $1400.00 down there. From the photo's, that house you have now looks to be A-OK.

Lets see now, a seasoned, tough old desert prospector from Calif.,29prospector, has threw his hat in the fire for the camp cook position. Do you really think that will put you in charge of the chest of iced down beer as well as the first aid chest which also holds the snake bite medicine? :lol:

And them there is #2, another tough, seasoned desert prospector, who has been around awhile, from Roswell, NM. with an eye to the sky :o , Rattlesnake Jim, says Scotty, beam me up to that yellow brick road.

#3-The Flackmagnet, no experience in the desert but lots in the water, hummmmm. But Garimpo says he survived Capt. Nemo dives :lol: [i like that]and the Tijuana Brothels, I can relate to that also. Anyone that tough should be a go. Flack is from, come to think about it, where the hell are you from Flack? Calif., I think!! :(

Here comes #4 Frosty the Snowman, from Colorado, beautiful state. Well we will see what happens when your butt gets dropped into that canyon hell hole of a snakes den. After a week in that hole and the water down to only two drinks per day per man, visions of those snowcapped mountain peaks of CO. will look mighty good.

#5 Colorado Bob, been there, done that. Started that long road back in the early 70's and have enjoyed every minute, well almost every minute. Only regret is that if I could do it again I would start at a younger age, would never punch a time clock and would never look back. Sometimes the old body complains but we have to keep going, only go down this road once in life so have to make the most of it, hope that road does not end in the den :lol: .

For anyone who does not have a 7.5 quad of that area to look at, go to topozone.com and pull up a 1-24000 image in the sat. view,

give you a good idea of the lay of the land.

Bob T.

Hi Kevin,

I say the more the better. The more people the more ground we can cover in a short period of time.

Don't know how long the rest of the guys would like to stay up there. But for myself, I would be happy with a week or so.

Just cant get much done in a couple of days.

Kevin, you ever get into the white mountains?

Or how about the HGS?

Bob T.

MRI'S? Extra desserts? And Kevin that's cowboyed the area, this guy ought to know a few tricks that will help everyone out in that canyon. Kevin were you one of the cowboys that I saw with lion dogs in sacks tied to the saddle? What a site to see.

Oh Bob T. you sure have a nifty way of describing every one. The cost of dental has really sky rocketed down here in the last two years. Two years ago the dentist said my work would be $2,000.00 but last week that same work is now $10,000.00. My wife is having some dental surgery done and probably implants. She has to take the bus to the capitol to have all this done.

My house is alright but I've been renting since 1998. Houses have also doubled here in the last two years. Maids were $75.00 a month now their $150.00.

I've heard of ideas snow-balling but you guys sure take the cake. Does any of this bunch have quads? How about laptops that you can download pics and email from on top of the ridges?

As a matter afact myself my father Joe Montoya and Dan Page used to run our dogs in the big sandy lots of lions and bobcat in the area heck we even got a black bear moving through the area once about 13 years ago game and fish called us to track him after he ate some of Jack Wilson's cows skunk raccoon and even more snakes it is the rattle snake capitol of the world

If you guys go in their be aware snakes are already out and the Mohave greens are very thick they are the worst , they have the most potent venom of any rattlesnake in North America. Its poison is about 16 times more powerful than that of the Sidewinder once bitten you have just a matter of minutes to get help most of the time and another thing they are aggressive if the can hit you once they will again

Better listen to Kevin, he's been there and knows the truth about the Mohave's. The other thing about them is their venom affects the nervous system and the respiratory system.

Everybody check out Digger Bob's post on nuggetshooter forum.

Mojave Greens eat real good. Aren't many, except babies, that are less than 5 inches in diameter and 5-6 feet long.

I see them all the time around camp in the summer. I work at night when drywashing. I don't kill anything for the sport of it, snake or not. I use two or three coleman gas lanterns around camp or the worksite, and leave those lit all night.

Mohave Greens will go around the perimeter of the light. Many times while you are sleeping (laying there awake actually) you will see the snakes getting around. you go your way, and I'll go my way.

the potential danger is when you have to get up to go do your business. It pays to have a really good light and some really good glasses. I found a headlamp that works really good to reveal snakes at night. Black Diamond NiteRay LED when out walking around or while detecting at night.

whats4supper I agree fully about the Mohave's.

Besides being nasty tempered their also a very beautiful snake. I was lucky to have seen the green ones and also a red one. Beautiful.

Your certainly right about moving around at night. Most folks don't remember that snakes are out at night to feed. They think that a #12 foot looks just a juicy jack rabbit.

Australia has I think 12 different poisonous snakes. That's where I was hit the first time, in day light. That's also where I learned to take a leak in a large plastic bottle at night inside my tent. That arraignment worked good for several months in that tent.

MRI'S? Extra desserts? And Kevin that's cowboyed the area, this guy ought to know a few tricks that will help everyone out in that canyon. Kevin were you one of the cowboys that I saw with lion dogs in sacks tied to the saddle? What a site to see.

Oh Bob T. you sure have a nifty way of describing every one. The cost of dental has really sky rocketed down here in the last two years. Two years ago the dentist said my work would be $2,000.00 but last week that same work is now $10,000.00. My wife is having some dental surgery done and probably implants. She has to take the bus to the capitol to have all this done.

My house is alright but I've been renting since 1998. Houses have also doubled here in the last two years. Maids were $75.00 a month now their $150.00.

I've heard of ideas snow-balling but you guys sure take the cake. Does any of this bunch have quads? How about laptops that you can download pics and email from on top of the ridges?

Garimpo,

No problem with the laptop, I got a good one with GPS and a full set of Topo's for Ca., Az., and Nv. As for the cooking, love to do. Don't drink that much so the beer is safe until we run out of water & soda. As for the Mojave's, Damn nasty snake. Very meaty and good to eat.

Bob

A leak I can handle, but a dump is anything but manageable. when you gotta go, you gotta go... Just have to watch your step and where you step

If you do any rock hunting with a black light, just remember that scorpions are a beautiful vibrant blue green florescent color.

Critters are always sort of neat. Coyotes love watermelons as do big carpenter ants. Coyotes eat the whole thing, while the ants bore a hole and eat out the interior flesh. when you go to pick it up, it's really light.

Ring tail cats eat any luncheon meat, or bread.

If you are working a recirc with water in the desert, you will be visited regular like by the big 2-3 inch wasps, and lots of bees, especially at night while you are trying to sleep and all you can hear is 1000 buggers buzzin around. they only want the water.

ants go after anything left on the ground and are they voracious.

IN AZ, there are these biting insects called hualapai tigers, but these tend to be out in the spring and fall during cooler weather.

If they don't get to you, the damn gnats will, flying down your throat while you are yawning or trying to talk, landing on your eyeballs, flying in your ears and nostrils, and hanging out by the hundreds inside your welding helmt while you are trying to work. The ones inland away from open water are the ones who bite

Lions, tigers & snakes, oh my :o , I have already started to hydrate myself (water, not beer) must review my snake bite protocall (he bit you where? :o guess you're gonna die), dusted off the ol' snakechaps. Sounds like Kevin may be on board. Lets see, thats 5? or 6? We still need garimpo, guess I'll post a few banana pics & rain pics. You guys from N. Cal. should be able to post some rain pics to entice garimpo.

Rattlesnake Jim, been to Roswell a few times, my boy went to NM military institute for awhile, couldn't believe all of the stores that sell alien stuff in that town.

Now for the serious question, Are we all talk & no walk or are we serious? Time is running out fast before the high temps set in, First couple of weeks in April work for me ;) keep on beeping B) - Frosty

some people are geared to high temps. I don't know about others, but I don't turn the heater off in the truck unless it hits 80 outside.

The heat I can take. The cold is best endured by somebody in Detroit or Bath, ME.

If it gets too hot, I just roll down the window and hang.

whats4supper, I completely agree with you on the heat situation.

Ice covering trees, streets and forest is beautiful--on a post card.

Snow deeper than cars, a total white out is also beautiful---on the 10:00 news.

Here in this town there's people here that's never seen snow or temps less than 65°. Now is that perfect or what?

There may be 12 air conditioners in town but none are mine.

Always figured that sweat is better than icicles.

Goldman and everybody, thanks for the heads up on the Mexico dentist. Problem is with the air fares, from here to there and back, motels, car rentals and other expenses it's about the same as staying here.

It's kind of like ammo here, 9mm is $150.00 for a 50 rd. box. I could buy it there but getting it here would be impossible.

More about the canyon, does any one have or know any one with a ground penetrating radar (GPR) that actually works?

A GPR and several SD's or GP's in that canyon could make a difference.

Did someone say cold?

Just mentioning that word makes me want to go and put a coat on.

My wife can't understand why I don't like to ski.

I tell her I DO like to ski,

just not in snow.

This sounds like the beginnings of a memorable hunt. Maybe I should bring along

my DV video camera and we'll make Garimpo a video of what he has unleashed.

(now where did I toss those extra batteries)

Snakes we are all going to have to look out for. I don't like 'um, but I respect them and

admire their adaption to the harshness of their surroundings. Wish I had that

ability...lol.

It's about 75 in my computer room, I gotta go and put on a sweater...

regards,

Hi Flak, I'm with you all the way on the cold. Don't like it no way.

The canyon gets pretty cold at night this time of year but warms up good during the day.

Sounds like your going to have a good party for the canyon.

Did you read Digger Bob over on nuggetshoorter?