Good treasure stories?

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea Garimpo,

Didnt have much time so was traveling light and fast to cover as much as I could. Not even a detector this time, just my piece, a canteen of water, a couple of snacks, camera and of course the green things, but didnt see even one, probably too cool for them.

Hey FlackMagnet, better get those wraparound things out and dust them off, cause as it warms up, ol slim will be out in numbers.

Picture with truck was the first place that I stopped to check out, wasnt right. The other picture is of a turtle without legs. :unsure:  ;)  Bob T.

Bob you say a turtle without legs, I can't see it, but I do see at the bottom center of the pic what looks like an Indian face.

Bob you say a turtle without legs, I can't see it, but I do see at the bottom center of the pic what looks like an Indian face.

finally got the turtle, at the top above the Indian head.

just-john, thanks for the map site, now if I was just smart enough to use it.

Good morning Bob T. Glad you didn't run into any greenies, but your right it's still to cold for them to move to far from the den. We are going to have to get a good head count and I'll need food preferrences and menu ideas. That way I'll start getting the food stuff ready.

Bob

mines in the area Home Page Log In Message Board Event List Auctions

Register Search Pages Chat Now! (7 online) Links Statistics

Nearest Localities to Wickieup Queen Mine (Wikieup Queen Mine [?] ), Mohave Co., Arizona, USA

Name Distance Bearing (degrees)

Wikieup prospect, Devils Wash District, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 0 feet 90° (E)

Scott Mine, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 2600 feet 44° (NE)

Copper Head Mine, Aubrey District, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 7900 feet 219° (SW)

Midwest Mine (Lead Moly group; Shannon Basin Moly Mine; Moly Mine), Devils Wash District, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 2.2 miles 301° (WNW)

Sycamore Creek zeolite deposit, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 3 miles 39° (NE)

Unnamed zeolite occurrence (2), Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 3.1 miles 68° (ENE)

Bayview Beryllium claims, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 3.9 miles 302° (WNW)

Unnamed zeolite occurrence (1), Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 4 miles 106° (ESE)

Krook Mine (Adela Mine; Old Knook Mne), Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 4.4 miles 161° (SSE)

Rocky Hill group, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 4.5 miles 121° (ESE)

Clark & Lynn claims, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 4.9 miles 283° (WNW)

Devils Canyon prospect, Devils Wash District, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 4.9 miles 283° (WNW)

Zee analcite claims, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 6 miles 18° (NNE)

Adams deposit, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 6.1 miles 161° (SSE)

Wikieup zeolite deposit (Big Sandy formation), Wikieup area, Big Sandy Valley, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 6.3 miles 18° (NNE)

Giles clay deposit, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 6.3 miles 321° (NW)

Yellow Jacket Mine (Gold-Silver Exploration Co. Mine), Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 7.5 miles 297° (WNW)

Madrill and Leival claims, Greenwood District, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 7.9 miles 151° (SSE)

Olea claims, Greenwood Peak area, Greenwood District, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 7.9 miles 151° (SSE)

E. ½ T.16N.; R.13W., Big Sandy Wash area, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 8.1 miles 6° (N)

Lost Mine claim (Lost Mine prospect; Levas-Madril claim; Side claim), Greenwood Peak area, Lost District, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 8.4 miles 145° (SE)

Greenwood area (Greenwood region), Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 8.9 miles 140° (SE)

Bull Canyon, Boriana District, Hualapai (Hualpai) Mts, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 9.4 miles 2° (N)

Burro Creek Mine (Burro Mine; Telegraph Mine), Burro Creek, Greenwood District, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 9.5 miles 144° (SE)

Lody Mine (Dungan Tungsten Mine; Side Line claim; Madrill & Leavis claim; Madrill & Leival claim; Lost Mine), Lost District, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 9.7 miles 118° (ESE)

Transwestern group, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 9.9 miles 154° (SSE)

State Mine, Greenwood District, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 10 miles 150° (SSE)

Burro Wash deposit, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 10.4 miles 90° (E)

Hopkins claim, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 11.3 miles 312° (NW)

Kistler occurrence, Greenwood District, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 12.8 miles 153° (SSE)

Silver King claims, Pine Peak District, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 13.2 miles 314° (NW)

Water Hole Mine, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 13.8 miles 146° (SSE)

W.W. Enterprise Mine, Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 14.2 miles 225° (SW)

Aquarius Mts (Aquarius Range; Peacock Range), Mohave Co., Arizona, USA 14.7 miles 45° (NE)

Mineral and/or Locality

www.mindat.org Web

Copyright © Jolyon Ralph & Ida Chau 1993-2006. Site Map. Locality, mineral & photograph data are the copyright of the individuals who submitted them. Further information contact the webmaster Site hosted & developed by Mysterious Ways (More websites)

Hi John,

Thanks for the map link, it's funny your link uses google earth for one of the views, it comes in much clearer then the subscription google I have :huh:

I can see a little bit more of the trail out of wikieup.

CO.Bob - Thanks for a peek of what a small portiopn of the terrain looks like. Lookin forward to do'in it. - Keep on beeping B) - Frosty

Looks like you guys have been busy in the last few days. Nice pictures!

So what's the plan?

Anyone pick a time. Sept, Oct, etc.

Who's in?

Rattlesnake Jim

Jim, You know I'm in. We are going to need a good head count and menu preferences. We can have beans & rice or rice & beans, shoot maybe an egg or 2.

ah what the heck, maybe a brisket or ribs give me some ideas. Breakfast? lite or heavy. Lunch? Dinner? Coffee & tea and water. If I'm cooking, then all I need is some ideas and I'll make up the menu's for approval :P

Bob

There seems to be quite a bit of interest in a forum get together or forum treasure hunt. It would be great to get together for an outing, with as many as can come, put some faces with the names, have a little fun vacation [for those who work] and who knows what may be found, problbly a host of new friends and that as good as gold.

I will throw out a few questions to kick this thing off.

#1. How many of you are really serious and will have the time to attend, we will

need a figure.

#2. How many days can everyone stay? I have been there and can tell you that one day wont cut it. Two days is real ifeee. And bad for those who have to travel a long ways. I would go for three days or more, just my thought.

#3. We need to know how many people and how long we are going to stay because 29Prospector has offered to bestow upon us, his expert culinary skills as well as chief gold washer. He needs to know what kind and how much food it will take for X-number of days. As for me, I love rice and beans, I can do that three times a day for as many days.

29Prospector, I'm not a pickeee eater. Anything from snake to rocky mountain oysters. Usually start out with a bowl of oatmeal, no sugar and some spam, BOY, can't beat that, I don't stop for lunch, just carry a snak, supper, rice & beans or a can of chile & maybe a cold Amber Bock, and a couple of boiled eggs if any is around. Anyone care to share my tent with me? :o:lol: Whew! This is already begining to stink. Thats enough B/S.

#4. How many have transportation, bike or fourwheeler? Walking is not crowded but its a little unhandy. About a mile and a half into the canyon from where we have to park, and will kill a lot of time.

#5. Does everyone have a tent or will you be sleeping in your truck. I wouldnt sleep under the stars because you may have company during the night.

#6. How about a GPS, does anyone have one? I do have one.

#7. Snake leggins, this is a must, don't want someone to get hurt.

#8. Cell Phone, not sure if we can get out of there with one. Garimpo can probably give us some input on this as well as some other things that I have probably missed.

#9. Everyone should be prepared to share an equal cost for the food, except 29Prospector, as he is the chef. Is that fair with everyone??

#10. Not much for wood around there so will probably have to make arrangments for cooking with a small stove, colman or propane. Besides we don't want to get a fire started or we will all be in deep doo-doo. Anyone have a colman. I have a gal. of fuel I will toss in, but no colman stove.

#11. Lets hear some ideas and suggestions, as this is a joint venture maybe we can have some consensus decisions.

Bob T.

Just-John,

That is a good site, takes a little getting used to, but then I'm not the best with these puters either.

FlackMagnet,

Go to that photo and down near the bottom and just to the right of center, you will see a perfect head, its looking south by southeast. At first it looks like a big rock with a dark indentation in it, the head is on the left side of the rock. Don't know about your PC, but on mine, if you put the cursor on the picture a small orange square with a blue arrow at each corner will appear in the bottom right of the pic. then click on the square and the pic. will blow up to full screen and also lighten up a bit. Flak, you can always work but you cant always play.

Rattlesnake Jim,

Thats what were trying to do now, to see what will work for everyone who would like to go. Can you make it and what would work for you.

I'm thinking that its going to be very hard to set a date that will work for everyone.

Frosty,

When could you make it. Do you work or what??

29prospector,

Just waiting on suggestions, comments and ideas. I can go about anytime, and for any length of time.

Buddy58,

Are you free most of the time, or what would be good for you?

Garimpo,

The only one who saw the head, keen eyes. You rascal, you knew it was there all the time, didnt you. Thats OK, its one deduction from your share :lol: . You started it, now look at what your missing.

One more thing, I suppose that everyone does have a detector. Just don't forget to bring it. Been there done that.

Don't know how hot the rocks and soil is in this area.

Little help here Garimpo, thank you very much.

Bob T.

WOW! What a great bunch of people here. Sure wish now that I had known you folks when I was working alone in that place.

Don't know about cell-phones working there, I had a portable car phone that worked on top of the ridges and then the satellite phone that worked anywhere.

Hot rocks? Probably but I was using a very large and damn sure heavy PI unit from England and yes it would pick up large hot rocks (maybe????). My thoughts are the more ML GP's with big coils the better.

Griding the area would be the way to go but that's much easier said than done. A lot of difficult terrain, large rocks and "cat claw" everywhere. Don't even think about going in without leg protectors and heavy work gloves.

The area just off the road leading into the "dry camp" would be a good place to camp, also dry, and it's about a 1.5 mile walk or quad ride in. The stream of water that Bob T. had pics of won't be there for much longer, so plan accordingly.

People with quads would be better off at the windmill camp site, water there. If possible share rides on the quads if there's enough quads for two people at a time.

No kissing or reach arounds allowed, sorry.

Either way it's going to take .5 to 1.0 hr. each day just to get into the canyon and then back out.

My camp cook stove was a big two burner with legs that I bought at one of the BBQ places and I used a 10 gal. propane tank, great set up.

Just for safety and something that I never did but should have. After you set a date visit the Kingman Sheriff's Dept. and see it they still have the Medaflight helicopter, their phone number and the phone number for the Kingman Hospital.

Then the first day in the canyon get a GPS fix on the nearest flat spot that would handle a helicopter and then phone the coordinates in to the Sheriff so they would have everything in advance.

The more time a person can spend there the better. It's rugged and big, a lot of work is required. If for example 10 people would spend one week there, maybe some good results.

Reading all these post has sure got my blood to boiling, all the possibilities, memories and the great time that could be had. Just think of all the memories you'll have for years.

What's life with out some great memories? Right Flak?

Hi Clorado, I am able to get away most of the time unless I get stuck on a large job,so I need to plan it out a little,I have GPS to,anything else we need I can get ;)

29 Prospector that sounds like a great idea everyone puts in a given amount to cover the food!

Garimpo why don't you fly up!I can pick you up in Phoenix seems you are the one that knows whats going on and think of those "Snickers Bars"

Hi all,

I, like lots of folks have been watching this unfold, and sounds like a great adventure, to be sure!

Not to dampen your fun, but I would sure recommend that each of you in the interim would brush up on your first aid skills, and everyone have at least a small first aid kit just in case.

I have a really good friend that is pretty agile, but took a bad spill down a steep rocky incline, while hiking out of a steep detecting area, and tore open his hand pretty badly. Did he have gloves?? Yes..Was he wearing them when he fell?? No.. Sounds like a fall might be one of the least of your worries!!

I like to be prepared for the unexpected...maybe its just my old scouting and Army training coming back to haunt me...

~LARGO~

Ok guy's,

Those that are going need to email rattlesnake jim if your interested in going so that we can get this thing put together in a timley fashion, not last minute. I have emailed him & the rest should also- his email is in the post.

As for equipmet I have 2 detectors (1 VLF & 1 PI), 2- coleman lanterns (1 small backpacking & a large multifuel), a 2 burner coleman stove & 1 single burner coleman peak 1 stove, 3 backpacks (internal frames), 1 - garmin GPS-V, 1-pair binoculars 10X50, cell phone (probably wont get a signal out there) and 1 set walkie-talkies (up to 7mi. range), (3)5 gallon containers for water, 1 pair snake chaps/leggings, a 9mm, a .30-06 & a .270. ATV.

I will offer my firstaid talents :huh: I've been a fireman for 28 yrs & a lowley EMT for 25 of it. I'll supply IV stuff for the just in case trauma and bandages.

29prospector- I'm not a fussy eater but never having eatin snake, you just make it and don't tell me what it is till after I eat it, that way it'll stay down. But if you tell me before eating it I guarantee that it wont get past my lips (phsycological stuff I guess :rolleyes: ).

CO.Bob - As we speak (or email) I'm planning to make it, just need to pinpoint the exact time/dates in OCT. so I can get trades for work. I can do a week to 2 weeks.

Lets get this train movin! Keep on beeping B) - Frosty

You guys are doing great, keep up the forward momentum.

Frosty, you should change your "handle" to "toy man" with all the toys you have. Bring them all, just kidding.

Largo, might as well jump in the middle of this malee.

Buddy58, I learned years ago never to say never. Being retired I have to keep a strict eye on the budget. Example, I get free medical at the VA but then it cost me $1,500.00 to get there and back for the free stuff. <_< Once you guys firm up on a date then I can take another look as the time draws near.

Ha Ha Ha

I love this...

Thanks Garimpo for the inspiration...this is just what I was hoping for when we all started

this thread...this could be a pretty cool/crazy/funny/smart, learningexperience

and oh yes, memorable.

Of course I am going to go if I possibly can.

So yes is the answer.

First Aid kit(s) done,

Snake leggings yes

Detector (3500 with a few coils) yes, if I remember it...lol.

Picks hammers all that kind of junk, yes

GPS yes

4X4 yes, if you can count a ford explorer. But it's been up to 29Prospectors place and that ain't

for sissies.

An X-Power battery jumper and cables yes...also good for charging batteries

(How ARE we going to charge all our batteries)

A solar panel that will run a computer and ?

I could buy a camp stove, but if I can get Denny to come he'll bring one...and he'll come I think.

(Denny?)

A couple of five gallon water jugs yes

Digital still camera yes

Digital Video Camera yes

Willing to film and edit this shin-dig yes (with maybe alittle help while filming)

I would sleep in the explorer

I would need a ride on someone's quad I think

The cam. equipment would be as minimal as possible.

I would spring for a sat phone rental if we think that is the way to go.

Good deal!

I can go just about any time and for any length of time.

I have everything I need except a 4 wheeler.

I'm working on a couple of Honda trail bikes at the moment.

I sleep in my truck most of the time.

I have tents if anyone needs/wants one.

I have a 2 burner coleman that uses propane and a one burner peak that uses coleman fuel.

I'm not a picky eater, but I've got to have my coffee in the morning!

Let her rip!

Rattlesnake Jim

Flak, thanks for the ticket offer but no thanks. I would feel obligated to repay the debt and if I could repay then I could buy up front. Good thought but I'm not into using other peoples money.

Maps? The ex has everything I ever had on the canyon so now it's all in the grey matter up stairs, scary.

Don't know how many have ever heard of or believe in the Polaroid pics that show a halo. I had pics that showed a halo over the spot that ole Charlie thought was a hidden mine tunnel. That one spot is completely different in appearance than the rest of the same ridge, very unusual.

You asked how we're going to charge the ML batteries? Use the car charger that comes with the detector.