Mountain Lions

I have gone out gold panning and take along some mace and pepper spray just incase I ran into a wild animal. I know that they are instinctively afraid of mankind but bears and mountain lions still concern me. I know they are out there every 5 miles or so, and even though I have not seen one and Lord willing will never see one, it can happen. I read back in the archives where a man and his some went nugget hunting and found a Kyac boat and along the way the son said, Dad we have a bear, His Dad thought it was going to be several hunred feet away and it was very close with two cubs. One cup ran up a tree and the mother left with the other cub. Later the other cub came down and ran of crying into the woods. This is their home and they are in their element and I just want to be prepared.

Is there anything you do to keep safety in the woods. I know rattle snakes are a problem and I have learned to wear my black widow head phones off on one ear to hear them rattle. ( haven't got those head phones yet ) Iknow of only two people who have been killed by mountain lions around here. One was a women jogging near Folsom Lake. I know we should not run from a Lion or Bear or we make our self look like prey. But Stand tall and hold a rock or large tree limb. But if a mountain lion was to attact, I would never see it until it pounces on me since they stock their prey.

I might sound like a scared city boy, but I grew up in the country, where we called almonds, "Amons". My Dad told me they knowcked the L out of them to get them out of the trees and so the L (hell) is silcent. Anyway, I have two boys 7 and 10 and I ususally take along a baseball bat and the mace and pepper spray. They sell a spray that will reach 15 feet away for bears and I hear that is the best one to buy. I will not be taking my boys much on outdoor trips unless I have another man with me in the future because the last time we went out to the Yuba River near Nevada City, I saw an area with wet sand 20 feet away from the water and a Lion Paw print in it. I was very nervous and took my boys back to the bridge area. Wildlife fish and game told me to just make noise and they will hear you comming and leave. But You know how it is with your kids. You have to keep them safe.

Is there anything you do to that you think will help in safety and common sences? Thanks Bill C

I have been in a few gun battles, and would worry more about the two foot rats, than the 4 foot mountain lions. But a good auto pistol and 3 or 4 magzines are always with me. So I'm ready for anything. Grubst

I did have two guns before but my wife gave them back to her father becasue she owed him some money and we thought it was more of a risk with kids finding the guns even though we had gun locks and kept the bullets in a seperate place. Im not sure they were the kind for killing a mountain lion though. It was maily for her protection when we were first marreid and she was afraid of the big city life. I just might want to get one again and this time I will buy a safe to put it into, that way I can keep a few Orea Cookie for the next day too!

I accidently posted three extra times can I remove those, or can the site monitor remove them? I was not used to how to post here and plus I just changed from Aol to Surewest and that is taking some time to get used to because my web page goes back and forth I have been getting bumped off line sometimes. Bill C

I always pack a 4 foot rattlesnake when I am out in the brush.

If a lion shows up,beat him silly with the snake. Bring along a few

band aids for the snake and an aspirin or two. :spank:

Better yet pack a gun,and don't wear spandex,or jogging shorts. :D

Something about spandex and jogging shorts just irritates the heck out

of those kitties. :lol:

Bears like pepper on their meat,they will be glad you brought some.

Get a gun and learn how to use it,if you are really worried. :ph34r:

Bill

I don't know how your wife feels about your boys learning how to use a firearm but I learned how to use one when I was around 7 or 8 and I taught my boys around the same age. Teach them how to respect them and use them safely and they will be better off in todays world. I agree with Grub, worry about the two legged varments more than the four legged. I live in the Grass Valley area and there are a lot of mountain lions and bears around but there are a lot of dope growers and meth cookers in the woods also. If they see your packing they treat you will a little more respect. My next weapon is going to a 45, they reach out a little farther than the bear spray. I do a lot of nugget hunting in this area when you get a machine shoot me an e-mail and we can get together for a hunt. Problem right now is everything is under snow. By the way did you check out the PM I sent you about that machine, its a hell of a deal.

Take care, Wes

I was nuggethunting in Yuma a couple years ago and came across a full sized mountain sheep ram that was taken down by a lion. The lion dragged that sheep a least 25 yds to the shade of a Palo Verde tree before eating him. Blood trail and drag marks the whole way.

For the most part they have a natural fear of humans, but there are always the exceptions. The one in S.California a couple years ago took a liking to bicyclists and trail runners. Probably easier to catch than deer or mountain sheep.

Every now and then I get a little prickle down my neck when I have those headphones on and my head down looking for nuggets. I imagine it will be a much more colorful legacy if I get eaten by a lion than dying of disease in some old folks home. I expect I'll give him a good go with a prospecting pick anyway.

40 cals are higher velosity and have about the same ft pounds of energy as a 45 and bullits are only $28.00 a 100 compared to twice that for 45's. also I pack 4-6 magazines, around a hundered rounds. and a back up. I carry full servival gear, and a magnesium fire starter, extra everthing, for my detector, plenty of water. Even in winter, its easy to get dehyrated. Seven years in the Army and two years in Nam, I'm ready for anything that comes my way, be it bad weather, or bad people, or animals. Grubstake Besides, I can shoot the balls off a nat at 25 yards with the Glock, alittle farther with my 44 cap and ball.

The only time I have ever drawn my gun (Ruger 45 - piece of crap, jams alot btw) was when a Bull was running towards me - then stopped and started doing that peel-out thing with it's foot and putting its head down. Scared the hell out of me! The bull started to run towards me so I pulled the gun started to squeeze the trigger and then Swoosh - it hung a left and off in a cloud of dust up a hill.

I have only seen a mountain lion once while prospecting, it was getting a drink of water from a pond. As soon as it saw me it ran like hell, seemed like it was scared to death of me. Hope it stays that way.

DigDeep.

I don't carry a 100 rounds for animals, its the people, pot plantations, meth labs, all over this part of the country. You never know when your going to happen on one. And I would rather have too much, than not enough. Just my thoughts. Grubstake

I always carry a .40 cal. when I hunt. One of my hunting friends (he can chime in if he wants) carries and S&W 460. He can hit the bullseye every shot with it. When we went to the range, he fired a shot and the entire line stopped and looked at him to see what the hell made the ground shake! I love .40 cals and have a HK and a Sig. I like the HK P2000 cause I am a lefty and it is ambidextrous. It is also composite like a Glock and is very lightweight even with a full magazine. Take care.

Cheers,

matt

I always carry a .40 cal. when I hunt. One of my hunting friends (he can chime in if he wants) carries and S&W 460. He can hit the bullseye every shot with it. When we went to the range, he fired a shot and the entire line stopped and looked at him to see what the hell made the ground shake! I love .40 cals and have a HK and a Sig. I like the HK P2000 cause I am a lefty and it is ambidextrous. It is also composite like a Glock and is very lightweight even with a full magazine. Take care.

Cheers,

matt

HK P2000...that is a great gun, almost picked one up last week. Light and extremely accurate, shot a few clips at the range and was extremely impressed. Found it more accurate than a 1911.

So you guys are beeping down a wash with your headphones on, not thinking about much except for what the bedrock looks like under the overburden, and where the nuggets are hiding. Meanwhile, a cougar has been stalking you from a safe distance for the last 100 yards without you even having a clue (yes thats what cats do, they stalk undetected, and humans are the least weary of the cats presence).

So to you guys with your .40 cals, HK P2000`s, S&W500`s,and .44 mags, What are you going to be able to do to the 150 lb cat that ambushes you from your back side, and sinks its claws into any vital area it can possibly recognise as such?

What are you going to do when the cat has already sunk its teeth as far into your juggular as it possibly can while its trying to control you with its powerful ,and razor sharp claws? That cat is a wild animal (big too) and its instinct is to kill you as quickly as possible so you dont have a chance to fight back.

I dont think most people will even have a chance to go for thier gun when they are being completely malled by a wild ass mountain lion. That cat will be messing you up in a real bad way before you will even realize what has happened or what is going to happen. Are you going to be able to get two hands free to pull the weapon & chamber the first round while that cat is seriously ripping your face, and neck apart?

Maybe a double action revolver would be a little easier to unholster, point & shoot while you are getting torn apart by vicious fangs & teeth trained to kill.

I`m not trying to cause a ruckus guys, just looking at the situation from a realistic point of view. I`m like most on here ,and carry a sidearm while detecting, mainly for lions, and two legged tweaker drugies that may take a liken to my vehicle.

The ability to be able to think clearly or instinctually under a serious state of duress may be the thing that saves your ass, not just the fact that you are carying a gun, and are ready to use it.

If I ever have an encounter with a mean ass lion, I hope he is 50 yards in front of me,and I see him first. To tell you the truth, killer bees should be the biggest fear, because if you are under attack out in the boonies, there wont be much you can do.

Later guys...

Bill C. I nuggethunt with several lion hunters who know the ways of lions. None pack a gun while detecting, but if you are really concerned , follow the advice and get a gun that has the grunt to kill a bear or a lion and makes a lot of noise . I get more nervous when I see fresh bear sign . A lion knows when you are getting close to it and usually moves away quietly, but you can come face to face with a bear in brushy country and their reactions can be very unpredictable. The rattlesnake is by far the biggest worry with kids around, with hundreds of times more snake bites in the U.S. each year than bear or lion attacks combined. ---Bob

I wear a tactical vest, with a hydration{camel Back one the back of it, it has lots of storage and ammo pouches, plus the pistol holster is laying right on my belly, my Glock fit into it very nicely. and I have room for 6 extra mags. Grubstake

DigDeep,

I really love the P2000. You are right about it being accurate. It comes with the four different sized back grips. It is the most comfortable handgun that I have shot. I have been thinking about picking up a P2000SK because it is just a little smaller for packing.

Adam,

I did not mean to highjack this thread and just talk about guns. After your response I realized that this thread was in regards to mountain lions. Being aware of my surroundings at all times is a concern that I take note of, especially since I hunt in lion coutry. If I have that feeling that I am being watched, probably I am. Call it a sixth sense. Just so you know, most semi-automatic hand guns are single and double action.

Take care.

Cheers,

matt

• Admin

Hey Bill C.,

Over the years I have seen everything in the desert. I've never had any trouble with wildlife and seen thousands of different things over the years I've been nuggethunting. The only real concern I have is crazy humans! :wacko: I'm more concerned about running into a wacko in the field then any wildlife that is out there. Heck, I've been face to face with a big ass Black Bear in Alaska.

For the most part I carry a Smith and Wesson .44 Mag Airlight Handgun. This gun is lighter and much more powerful then my Ruger 9mm. Have 6 rounds in the cylinder and an extra quick load cylinder on my side. If six .44 Mag rounds won't stop it, I have another six for myself. :o

I hope I never have to pull my gun on anything or anyone.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Yep my Glock is a model 22 also, I have 4 10 round calif. legal mags, and 4 15 round Nev. legal mags. I don't go out in Calif. with them, but take them if I'm going out of state. Grubstake Getting harder in Calif. to get bullets, but with my cap and ball 44 I can always have something.