Some Coil Weights

Hi,

Just weighed a few coils:

18" Round Minelab Commander Mono 2 lb 12.8 oz

18" Round Coiltek Goldstalker Mono 1 lb 15.8 oz

18" x 12" Coiltek Goldstalker Mono 1 lb 14.1 oz

16" Round Coiltek Goldstalker Mono 1 lb 11.0 oz

I was surprised at how much lighter the 18" Goldstaker is compared to the Commander - a lot! I was also surprised at how little the difference is between the 18" round and 18" elliptical Goldstalkers.

Steve Herschbach

• Admin

Hey Steve,

I'm not sure how much you have used the new Coiltek Goldstalker series, but they are awesome coils!~ I was really glad Coiltek finally decided to make a lightweight series. My favorites are ... wel they are all favorites, but for overall prospecting I used the 14-inch elliptical. If I know there might be some larger gold around at depth, I've used the 16 and 18-inch coils with some good success. The newest 6-inch round is the most sensitive small mono searchcoil available for the Minelab SD/GP/GPX series. This coil will find much smaller gold than the prior favorite Joey Mono.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

I have three of the Goldstalker coils. I love them all. I am always amazed at the small gold I find at depth with the 14" eliptical. I mean really small nuggets that are deeper than 6 inches. Maybe because the hot spot at the tip and tail of the coil. I don't know. What I do KNOW is that I can find some gold nuggets with that coil. I am confident that I WILL find gold every time I hit the hills. Here is some of the nuggets that I found last trip out.

Cheers and good luck to everybody,

Matt

post-694-1253155847_thumb.jpg

Hey Rob the Coiltek Goldstalker 14" mono elliptical I got from you is working great. It seems to be picking up less EMI than my other mono's and I think its giving me some depth advantage because its much quieter. solid signals and feels very light to swing. Im very happy with it. AzNuggetBob

Thanks Steve, for those coil weights. Looks like what the obvious answer is.

Rob Allison or anyone, in wide open country when NOT considering detecting around rocks, crevaces, numerous bushes, etc.

For the 6, 14x9, 18x12, 16, and 18 GoldStalker coils.

I know you can not be exact but just approximate. Can you please give us a very brief pros and cons run down of each coil size~in relation to the size of gold performance ??

(What I mean is and just for an example as I could be wrong: Would a round 18 loose depth on small up to about 2 or 4 grams in size nuggets and gain depth on about 4+ grams and larger in relation to the other GoldStalker coil sizes. So in other words a round 18 is not a good choice and a poor choice when hunting for small nuggets of less than about 4 grams or so. But the best choice of all the GoldStalker coil sizes when hunting for about 4+ gram and larger gold, etc.)

Thanks as any help is appreciated.

Hey Steve,

I'm not sure how much you have used the new Coiltek Goldstalker series, but they are awesome coils!~ I was really glad Coiltek finally decided to make a lightweight series. My favorites are ... wel they are all favorites, but for overall prospecting I used the 14-inch elliptical. If I know there might be some larger gold around at depth, I've used the 16 and 18-inch coils with some good success. The newest 6-inch round is the most sensitive small mono searchcoil available for the Minelab SD/GP/GPX series. This coil will find much smaller gold than the prior favorite Joey Mono.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Rob,

Do they make the Goldstalker 6 inch in a DD, as the ground here in Colorado is not highly mineralized like it is in most of Arizona. Is it waterproof? Lastly, should I get a mono version as that allows me to hunt just about anywhere, right? I'm trying to avoid having 5 or 6 coils so I can upgrade to a straight shaft and have the Gold Button.

h20prospector

• Admin

Hello All,

I'm glad Steve posted the weights vs. some of the Minelab coils since many customers have asked me about weights on the new Goldstalker's.

Matt - Great batch of nuggets you found there with your Goldstalkers. Wish more customers would share their finds with the Goldstalker coils also. Wishing you much more success out there in the goldfields. Keep us updated if you would.

AZNuggetBob - Ya, I really favor that Goldstalker 14-inch. I done really well with that coil in the Vulture Mountains exploring new areas. I went back to several recently discovered patches and tried the 18.5-inch over the same spots and didn't find anything. I feel pretty confident with the Goldstalker 14-inch that I'm not missing many nuggets.

Goldstone - If you are finding 4+ Gram nuggets, I would say one of the larger coils then. A 4+ Gram nugget is approx 2.5 - 3 Dwts, which is a pretty respectable size piece. If you were finding a lot of 1 Gram minus nuggets I would say probably the 14-inch. The detector model also makes a difference. You will find much smaller gold, and smaller gold at depth with the GP or GPX series over the SD series.

H2O Prospector - All the Goldstalkers right now are Mono's. I'm testing a couple DD Goldstalkers as we speak. None of them are waterproof, just water resistant. I would suggest a Mono since I believe you have a SD series metal detector. You will get better depth and sensitivity out of a Mono coil.

Talk with you all later,

Rob Allison

Rob, thanks very much for that advice as it is appreciated, I have a GP3000. Montana's(Bob) very favorite coil is also the 14"x9". Maybe a 18"x9" size should have been made instead for more ground coverage.

And that GoldStalker round 16" (actually 15.5") must also be an unsung hero and a very good size for that little extra depth and also good on small gold as well.

Can a person add some SILICONE caulking to the cable entry on the GoldStalkers to help make them more water resistant ??

Steve, keep those weights coming. I also heard that the GoldStalkers were substantially lighterweight than the Advantage coils of the same size.

Hi,

Here are some more. goldstonehigh brought up a good point - if we are going to compare weights we'd better also get the real dimensions as there is a lot of rounding going on. I agree about the 16" (15.5" round) coil. Actually weighs less than the stock coil, and will get considerably more punch not only by being larger but by also being a mono coil.

The following are listed by weight, not size:

13.5" x 9" Coiltek Goldstalker 1 lb 4.2 oz

11.5" x 8.5" Coiltek Platypus DD 1 lb 7.4 oz

15.5" Round Coiltek Goldstalker Mono 1 lb 11.0 oz

10-3/4" Round Minelab DD (stock coil) 1 lb 13.2 oz

18.5" x 12" Coiltek Goldstalker Mono 1 lb 14.1 oz

18" Round Coiltek Goldstalker Mono 1 lb 15.8 oz

23-1/4" x 12" Coiltek UFO Mono 2 lb 7.8 oz

17.5" Round Minelab Commander Mono 2 lb 12.8 oz

Steve Herschbach

I'll add as I can. Might need some help from others as I don't stock everything.

Thanks Steve! You are going 16 ounces to the pound instead of 12 Troy ounces to the pound.

1 pound = 16 ounces = 453.59 grams

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

Gary, some metric weights in Grams on this link below(some of them are a bit confusing, as Steves weights are much more precise and clear):

http://coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/coiltek-specs.htm

Does anyone have a website showing Minelab Commander weights?

Also the new GoldStalker DD's are suppose to come out at some point in the future and they will be much lighterweight than the Commander DD coils as well I would think.

On another point, I wish some company would make a 16" x 24"(or 32") size lightweight Mono coil because I would want one.